Introducing Eddie statistic service

If you need help or want to talk about the game use this forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Please check our Knowledgebase for FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) before posting a new question here.
eddie

Introducing Eddie statistic service

Postby eddie » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 22:40

Some here might already know the Eddie service @ faboo.org. [1] We provide statistic services for the AE community.
The Service is running for beta for some time now, since may this year also for the other servers. See [1] to find
out when we started tracking users / guilds on which server.

Today, a new version went live there, which now allows public users (no login required) to help sending data from the
AE news ticker Eddie. This data is being collected on beta / epsilon / and gamma for some time now, but since
only a few use the required script, that data is nowhere near complete. To find out more, follow [2] (or one
of the other links from [1] for another server)

[1] http://faboo.org/eddie/
[2] http://faboo.org/eddie/beta/showTickerBattles/

Apart from the the aggregated ticker data, you can also find player statistics as well as statistics for guilds.

Not all features are finished yet, i 'm working on finishing the ticker reports (so that one can drill down further
into the details as well as see reports for individual players. More of my todo list see [1].

New versions / features will be announced here, so stay tunned.

I 'm no HTM/CSS profi, so the eddie pages are best viewed with firefox. There a a few glitches when using the IE.
Anyone who has suggestions on improving the layout is more than welcome and can send emails
to ae.eddie@googlemail.com

flame away, or better, suggest features you would like to see.

enjoy, Eddie
Last edited by eddie on Fri 24 Jul, 2009 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

see aggregated battle data: http://faboo.org/eddie Eddie on Google plus
Master Wookie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: [◣_◢]
[^.^]

Re: Introducing Eddie

Postby Master Wookie » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 05:57

First of all, thanks a ton for providing this database, I've found it very useful in tracking my attacks and progress. I'll be doing what I can to help by installing the script, as long as the admins don't prohibit it. I thought they prohibit all scripts that do anything in the game, but I'm not sure.

Also, it would be great if you would team up with AE in order to get more complete information and to get your site linked just like the AE blob and forum and stuff at the top of all AE pages.

Flinx
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: 13th for Life
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Flinx » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 07:01

Yeah... You do know that scripts are against the rules, don't you? :paranoid:

Nagel wrote:Because of this thread I have come to some conclusions.

3) Flinx is awesome and not a douche ingame. Which means we should swap him for Rat
TV
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [FAIL]
Galaxy: Beta

Postby TV » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:01

Thanks a lot for the data you already provide. The recent upgrades you´ve been doing are great as well and much appreciated.

Falling never hurt anyone; it was when you stopped...

Alucard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: Min

Postby Alucard » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 13:34

It is prohibited to load any sites of Astro Empires with any other programs than web browsers. As is forbidden to use tools that simulate or replace the web interface. The same applies to scripts that load or read site pages (making actions or collecting data). Is prohibited to use auto-refresh functions, tools to fast open several pages and other browser integrated mechanisms of this nature.

Nothing about scripts that act when YOU load a page and collect data.

Eternity is wasted upon the likes of you.
eddie

Re: Introducing Eddie statistic service

Postby eddie » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 14:08

Many thanks for the kind words.

About the rules and scripts: yes, i know this and followed the discussion here in the forum. But, this script never initiates a request to the server, it only parses a little bit of data from the loaded page and send this back to eddie. I also don't see how this could provide any unfair advantage to the players using it.

That said: i would not mind if the creators of AE would provide such data pablic, so it has not to beparsed from the pages.

I just installed 2 updates. It is now possible to see details in the TickerReports not only Guild <--> Guild but also Guild <--> unguilded players.

the second update was to the script, as it dit not cope with people using the portuguese game ..

I 'm glad most like the sevice provided..

Eddie

see aggregated battle data: http://faboo.org/eddie Eddie on Google plus
Paestero
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: UCorp

Postby Paestero » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 22:58

Very nice site and good work!
Been missing stuff like this as well :)

Retired...
  • UCorp Member
  • N-Pro Leader
  • Mordor Leader

Still stalking from time to time, for old times sake :)
Inigo Montoya
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: [13th]

Postby Inigo Montoya » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 23:17

Alucard wrote:
It is prohibited to load any sites of Astro Empires with any other programs than web browsers. As is forbidden to use tools that simulate or replace the web interface. The same applies to scripts that load or read site pages (making actions or collecting data). Is prohibited to use auto-refresh functions, tools to fast open several pages and other browser integrated mechanisms of this nature.

Isn't the bold portion saying scripts can't collect data, whether a script loads the page or a human?

Bruskie wrote:Sim till you win

My views expressed here completely represent myself and only myself--AND I LOVE IT!
Paestero
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: UCorp

Postby Paestero » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 23:47

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Alucard wrote:

Isn't the bold portion saying scripts can't collect data, whether a script loads the page or a human?

Good luck trying to detect a script that collects data client side.
It's nice they put it there, but it's impossible to find out.

Retired...
  • UCorp Member
  • N-Pro Leader
  • Mordor Leader

Still stalking from time to time, for old times sake :)
Flinx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Flinx » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 19:24

Ok, but just because you can't get caught doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

3) Flinx is awesome and not a douche ingame. Which means we should swap him for Rat
torax
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: B:[Fail]

Postby torax » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 20:22

Flinx wrote:Ok, but just because you can't get caught doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

it may not be within the rules. but cheating? as far as i understand, cheating gives you an unfair advantage. how exactly does eddie gives somebody an advantage?

i would rather see that they change the rules to forbid any scripts with boting actions. anything else can't be detected anyway.

of course, it would be better if AE would provide such statistics. in other browser games, this even boosted the game itself..

torax

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Check your player statistics
Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: E: [SiN]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Cabbage » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 21:01

torax wrote:of course, it would be better if AE would provide such statistics. in other browser games, this even boosted the game itself...

If AE allowed the ticker to the public (no need to log on) it would make things easier for that website, and it's only a few lines of coding to add such a thing.

Flinx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Flinx » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 05:15

torax wrote:
Flinx wrote:Ok, but just because you can't get caught doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

it may not be within the rules. but cheating? as far as i understand, cheating gives you an unfair advantage. how exactly does eddie gives somebody an advantage?

Against the rules = Cheating

You may want to sugar coat it saying that it doesn't give any kind of an advantage, but the reality is using scripts is cheating. Just because alot of people do it, and no one will ever get caught doesn't make it any less wrong. And as to your second question, I have no idea how Eddie would give someone an advantage, it is cheating to use, so therefor I have never used it, so I don't know what it does.

torax
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: B:[Fail]

Postby torax » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 07:52

Looking at the Eddie site is in no way cheating. Installing the script may be against the rules. According to Wikipedia, cheating consists of breaking the rules (so, you are right here) to gain an unfair advantage above others (this part is not fulfilled).

About the rules (we become way off topic here, and this has been discussed in length in the feedback / corner): first off, when i signed the rules, they were very different [1]:
J. It is prohibited to load any sites of Astro Empires with any other programs than web browsers. Such other programs are in particular so called "Bots" as well as other tools that simulate, replace or supplement the web interface. The same applies to scripts and completely or partially automated programs that provide advantages towards other users and auto-refresh-functions and other browser integrated mechanisms.

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/200612161038 ... terms.aspx

AE decided to change them, but never informed the players that agreed to abide to them that they changed. I 'm not a lawyer, but this sound 'strange' to say the least.

I can only say again that i hope that AE does provide some statistic data into the public. Other games have shown that this benefits the game itself.

enjoy. torax

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Check your player statistics
Alucard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: Min

Postby Alucard » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 13:41

I'd like to note that a friend of mine received the following over one year ago when he asked about setting up a service like eddie's that automatically crawled the public ranking pages. Personally I thought that public = not covered by the TOS, and if they wanted to prevent bots from grabbing it they would put it behind a login.

Hi,

Sorry, but those kind of scripts are not allowed.

You can only do that manually, hitting the page with a script is not allowed.

As good news, we plan to introduce that at our side later, where players can
retrieve guilds historical information, and see also graphics.

Best Regards,

Astro Empires
Abuse Department

Again, over a year ago. Make of it what you will.

Eternity is wasted upon the likes of you.

Return to “Help Center”