Captcha

If you want to make a request, give your feedback or report a bug related to the forum or portal, this is the right section.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Uncle Ben
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: Derbhoes!
Galaxy: Andromeda

Captcha

Postby Uncle Ben » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 07:35

In my humble opinion you guys should really include a Captcha on the forums. All those damn spam bots on a daily basis... It's starting to annoy me somewhat.

Richelieu
Global Moderator

Re: Captcha

Postby Richelieu » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 12:46

We have had that very discussion about Captcha on the hidden mod area.. but the overall discussion was that it wouldn't work, since "Captcha's can be solved 95% of the time, with 3rd party" as well as people being paid to spam.

"Carry on any enterprise as if all future success depended on it."

That being said, read the forum rules !!!
Uncle Ben
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: Derbhoes!
Galaxy: Andromeda

Postby Uncle Ben » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 13:41

I see. Maybe using something like Peerblock would be an option then? i believe there is an option to add a list of adservers to Peerblock which would block them all.

Chesterton
P&W Moderators
P&W Moderators

Postby Chesterton » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 16:50

We are doing something of that nature manually. I'm not sure how easily something like Peerblock could be integrated.

There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person.

Forum rules
The Monarch
Guild: Jade: [ME]

Postby The Monarch » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 18:56

This may provide some useful information: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2283526

TL;DR:

Try ZBBlock

http://spambotsecurity.com/zbblock.php

Edit:

When I first registered on the forum there was a security question - i.e What is the name of our latest server? (Hint, it begins with J)

I'd suggest using the latest version of CAPTCHA, too.

There's no 100% way to irradicate spam bots but: Security questions, Updated CAPTCHA & a anti-spam plugin for PHPBB do make a massive difference.

Edit 2:

We are doing something of that nature manually. I'm not sure how easily something like Peerblock could be integrated.

That's the great thing about PHPBB, it's designed to be very user friendly, the majority of plugins for PHPBB are as simple as uploading them via FTP and installing them through the ACP.
Last edited by The Monarch on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

The Monarch
Guild: Jade: [ME]

Postby The Monarch » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 20:38

Pasternak,

I have a question for you since you are the forum admin:

Do you have FTP access to the forum?

It's great that both the users and forum staff are coming together to discuss combatting spam and bringing some life back to the forum but if the Devs are too busy to look after the game, I doubt the forum is the least of their concerns. There needs to be a forum admin with FTP access to actually implant these changes.

Logans Run
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [QSS]
Quantum Solo Sanity

Postby Logans Run » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 01:41

Uncle Ben wrote:In my humble opinion you guys should really include a Captcha on the forums. All those damn spam bots on a daily basis... It's starting to annoy me somewhat.

Do what i do and ck in every 5 days or so. Trust me..nothing will be missed.

..get a good Steven King book.

Stuck in a Quantum reality
Frederic Chopin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Frederic Chopin » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 16:34

Richelieu wrote:We have had that very discussion about Captcha on the hidden mod area.. but the overall discussion was that it wouldn't work, since "Captcha's can be solved 95% of the time, with 3rd party" as well as people being paid to spam.

So basically you don't want to put in the work.

Whis
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Postby Whis » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 14:25

Frederic Chopin wrote:
Richelieu wrote:We have had that very discussion about Captcha on the hidden mod area.. but the overall discussion was that it wouldn't work, since "Captcha's can be solved 95% of the time, with 3rd party" as well as people being paid to spam.

So basically you don't want to put in the work.

Mods have absolutely no control over the way the forum is constructed. We only have control over enforcing the rules. The secret forum mentioned only serves as a way for Wizard and Xaman to see our ideas/suggestions; its kind of like the Feature Request forum, except not terrible.

Logans Run
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [QSS]
Quantum Solo Sanity

Postby Logans Run » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 10:21

Whis wrote:The secret forum mentioned only serves as a way for Wizard and Xaman to see our ideas/suggestions; its kind of like the Feature Request forum, except not terrible.

We can all tell the amount of brainstorming in there must be huge...with all the game's fury of activity and the mass influx of new people.

Stuck in a Quantum reality
Chesterton
P&W Moderators
P&W Moderators

Postby Chesterton » Wed 20 Sep, 2017 12:41

:think:

I believe Whis meant it's kind of like the Forum/Portal section. I can't even remember the last time we talked about the game there.

There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person.

Forum rules

Return to “Forum/Portal”