idea

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
LordStriker

idea

Postby LordStriker » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 21:04

Okay so here's the problem I was thinking about lately, it's how a lot of people quit when they get zero fleeted because it takes a long time to build fleet even if you have lots of money. So whats the best way to do it? Well I was talking to some people in my guild, who agree that there shouldn't be unlimited fleet as its only the fact that unlimited fleet makes it so you cant increase production and economy, to let people rebuild fast. That's where this idea comes in to play as it puts a limit on fleet and increases production and economy for people that are rebuilding and no I don't mean a real limit like you can only build 100 million fleet but instead once you hit 100 million, your production slows down.

Here's what you need for the fleet cap

-Use computer tech since most people ignore so you can only have some fleet per level before your prod cap gets jacked
-Computer tech gives you 5 million fleet per level, which is good because then new servers aren't really affected
-When your fleet goes over the limit, your prod cap on every base goes down. I was thinking maybe half a percent per computer tech
-The reason is because 40 computer tech is probably the highest anyone can go for a long time, so 40 times 5 million is 200 million which is a good cap and for the reduced production its 20 percent.
-When someone hits the cap, like at computer 40 in other words 200 million fleet, their production becomes 20 percent of normal which means that they build slowly while everyone else builds fast

Here's what you need for catching up

-A new structure called Supply Hub because the Supply Hub would normally send repair parts to your fleet but instead uses those to build new ships
-It costs 1 thousand credits to start building so most people stop around 20
-It needs 30 computer and uses 1 area and 1 population and 6 energy
-You can only build it on one base like a Capital
-Each level makes your prod go up by 10 percent on every base and gives you 20 percent of your income as production income, I will explain that later
-You only get the bonuses if half of your fleet is on your base or spread out across your bases
-If your production is reduced because you hit the cap you don't get any bonus

Here's the production income

-Instead of the credits going to your account they go into a bank
-They cant be pillaged
-They can only be used for building ships
-You use them first and only use real credits for building ships when your bank is empty

Okay that's it, I checked the FMR and even tho it says not to use banks, I didn't see this idea so I hope its allowed. Also please excuse any bad spelling English is not my first language and I fixed most of the red lines but I know I messed up somewhere.

thanks

-LordStirker
Last edited by Achilles on Mon 25 Apr, 2011 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling, Grammar adn other minor edits

SpeedySurfer
Banned
Banned
Guild: M: SEXY
N: TIME
Galaxy: Nova

Re: idea

Postby SpeedySurfer » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 21:43

No, this is a terrible idea.

M: SEXY | N: TIME
-Link-
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: [«ISM»]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby -Link- » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 21:46

ok, first of all, while i do agree that rebuilding is a pain in the butt, it is a part of the game that you just have to get use to. now then, onto the idea

No to the bank. The only way to bank credits is to build things, it should stay that way.

Why would you get the bonus if your fleet isn't on your base? That would just encourage more simming which isn't doing the game much good.

Also, why have a building that essentially doubles your production at a certain lvl? plus lvl 40 computer wouldn't be too hard to get too. its just that no one's had a real need to yet

-Link- wrote:he crawls from his cave of baww where the sheep roam fluffy and freely until they plummet to their deaths at the hands of the merciless fr regulars
Mattzo
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: -Min-
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Mattzo » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 22:00

I can't say I'm a fan of this sort of thing. I can see your reasoning for it, but quite frankly I wouldn't like to see this implemented. Sure rebuilding is a pain, but it's not too much of a hassle (in my opinion.)

Tyrant. You're not supposed to pay so much attention to Bruskie's morale ambivalence... you are supposed to be the grounded one!
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 22:20

I was skeptical at first, but once I dug through it to see what you were talking about, it's really not that bad.
LordStriker wrote:-use computer tech since most people ignore so you can only have some fleet per level before your prod cap gets jacked
-computer tech gives you 5 million fleet per level which is good because then new servers arent really effected
-when your fleet goes over the limit your prod cap on every base goes down i was thinkin maybe half a percent per computer tech
-the reason is because 40 computer tech is probably the highest anyone can go for a long time so 40 times 5 million is 200 million which is a good cap and for the reduced production its 20 percent
-when someone hits the cap like at computer 40 they hit 200 million fleet there production becomes 20 percent of normal witch means that they build slow while everyone else builds fast
If I'm understanding this correctly, then what you're proposing is that the cap becomes a reduction in prod, right? So in the example you provided, your production goes to 20%, while everyone else is running at 100%? It's actually an interesting take. You slow down the production of the people with the most fleet, while boosting the production of everyone else.
heres what you need for catching up

-a new structure called supply hub because the supply hub would normally send repair parts to your fleet but instead uses those to build new ships
-it costs 1 thousand credits to start building so most people stop around 20
-it needs 30 computer and uses 1 area and 1 population and 6 energy
-you can only build it on one base like a capital
-each level makes your prod go up by 10 percent on every base and gives you 20 percent of your income as production income i will explain that later by the way
-you only get the bonuses if half of your fleet is on your base or spread out across your bases
-if your in the reduced production because you hit the cap you dont get any bonus
I see that you've actually listed the soft cap, so kudos for that. Anyways, again to clarify, at soft cap this would put you at 300% prod, assuming you had your fleet on your base? While giving you 200% of your income for this new bank of yours? Just to wrap my head around this, a normal higher level player has ~15k prod cap. So this lets them run at 45k prod cap. With that prod cap, you'd hit the 200m soft cap for fleet within 185 days, even if you started with zero fleet. Then, once you hit the fleet cap, your production plummets to 20%? Very interesting, indeed.
heres the production income

-instead of the credits going to your account they go into a bank
-they cant be pillaged
-they can only be used for building ships
-you use them first and only use real credits for building ships when your bank is empty
I can see the usefulness here, although the rate at which credits go into the bank is perhaps a touch too high. With an average upper level econ of 10k, this adds 20k per econ tick to the bank. That's 14.4m per month of essentially free fleet. Although, with your obscenely high prod cap, you'll still probably be running empty most of the time. So, maybe the rate isn't too high.

For now at least, I think this has potential. It's a way to soft cap fleet and help people rebuild, and just might work - something that all of the other attempts have failed to make happen.

Also, Link, I think you've missed a few things. Level forty computer tech is the soft cap he used. I can't see computer tech going past 42-43, which only adds another 10-15m to his soft cap. Likewise, the bank and the production increase is the only thing that lets you catch up. Without more credits for fleet, all the prod cap in the world won't give you your fleet back. It also takes an incredibly long time to rebuild fleet when you get zeroed.

The other part, about having to be on your base, is a limiting factor, I think. Remember my Fortress idea? If you get people off their blobs, you encourage attacking. And if someone wants to be safe on their blob, they don't get all the bonuses. You'd see less simming if people got off the blobs, and this is a surprisingly good incentive.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
RATATATATAT
Banned
Banned

Postby RATATATATAT » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:58

Seemed a little sketchy at first, but Ribben cleared it up pretty well, as it was hard to read/fully understand.

Although, can i get a clarification? Does it decrease to 20%, or by 20%. The wording is throwing me off a little bit. Idk if this would work or not, but, it is/was a fun read, anyhow, and it's good to see people thinking of this kind of stuff.

Oh, and as Ribbentrop pointed out, the anti-blob implications of this probably give it stronger support.

blahblah
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby blahblah » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 10:19

-a new structure called supply hub because the supply hub would normally send repair parts to your fleet but instead uses those to build new ships
-it costs 1 thousand credits to start building so most people stop around 20
-it needs 30 computer and uses 1 area and 1 population and 6 energy
-you can only build it on one base like a capital
-each level makes your prod go up by 10 percent on every base and gives you 20 percent of your income as production income i will explain that later by the way
-you only get the bonuses if half of your fleet is on your base or spread out across your bases
-if your in the reduced production because you hit the cap you dont get any bonus

heres the production income

-instead of the credits going to your account they go into a bank
-they cant be pillaged
-they can only be used for building ships
-you use them first and only use real credits for building ships when your bank is empty
the only thing I would have against this is it probably should be a feature turned off for the first 6 months or so of a server
and not at all allowed in the speed server
maybe adding an xp component may help prevent it just being a way to sim fleet

giving AE the bird since 2009
Miscellanea
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Miscellanea » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 14:09

So let's just take a scenario one player took out a lot of fleet and gained a lot of debris. In addition to rebuilding his fleet with as much speed as whoever he or she just shot, once that player hits the cap, he can continue spending his debris instead into production. He'll end up with a substantially smaller gain for hitting, so essentially this idea can be approached as something that encourages building fleet over attacking and therefore helping servers stagnate at the benefit of people who have a very short temper and refuse to rebuild fleet when things aren't going their way.

Universe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Universe » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 15:03

Miscellanea wrote:He'll end up with a substantially smaller gain for hitting, so essentially this idea can be approached as something that encourages building fleet over attacking and therefore helping servers stagnate....
I don't see how you came up with that. The way I see it is the only thing that happens when you go over the cap is your production slows down. That means 2 things. Increase your cap or kill more of your fleet.

Hell if this means I can use 50% of my fleet without having to wait 6 months to rebuild then the concept works for me.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." - Stephen Hawking
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 18:31

Miscellanea wrote:So let's just take a scenario one player took out a lot of fleet and gained a lot of debris. In addition to rebuilding his fleet with as much speed as whoever he or she just shot, once that player hits the cap, he can continue spending his debris instead into production. He'll end up with a substantially smaller gain for hitting, so essentially this idea can be approached as something that encourages building fleet over attacking and therefore helping servers stagnate at the benefit of people who have a very short temper and refuse to rebuild fleet when things aren't going their way.
Wait, what? This doesn't even make any sense. The ability to rapidly rebuild fleet doesn't cause stagnation, and it doesn't encourage simming. If anything, it encourages more aggressive action, as you have less downtime while rebuilding.

Ferdoc
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: ZORAN is a GLOBAL DICTATOR!

Postby Ferdoc » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 18:35

I'm really surprised about this idea. Someone came up with a soft cap for fleet that not only works, but doesn't greatly hamper the status of servers here and now. I like it.

Gotta love those death threats
Soubanth wrote:you're going to help him even if it kill you.
Achilles
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Achilles » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 19:32

Transferred to workshop by request. Idea has merit and a possible future

Go Go Power Rangers!
basilisk101
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby basilisk101 » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 21:59

:paranoid:

As for the idea, no.
To be more specific, I don't necessarily dislike the concept, but I do dislike this specific request.
  • It directly punishes simmers. Simming is a legit way to play the game. You can't just have a built-in mechanic that says "Whoa buddy, you've been simming long enough. Stop simming or imma cut your prod." You can't just tell simmers that they should play the game the way you think they should, instead of the way they think they should.
  • What about the people who are already over the soft-cap? The day Wiz implements this, he's basically saying "Whoa, you guys are just TOO good. I'm cutting your prod so the noobs have a chance to catch up."
  • Going with the above, this punishes older accounts as compared to newer ones. The years I've spent building up to my 200M fleet are suddenly worthless because some noob account gets this bonus, and builds his own 200M fleet in half the time it took me, with half the effort.

• I think the numbers are far too high. Assuming they've soft-capped their bonuses, that means they get 300% prod, as well as 400% econ stored in the bank, correct? That means a high-end account(20k prod/14k econ) will be running 60k prod, and gets 56k of that paid for, right? That means they can run prod constantly and still be making 10k/hr for research/construction.
  • With the above, that means they're making 70k per hour that can be put into prod, JUST ON THEIR OWN ECONOMY, right? They can invest 50k/hr in normal prod, and the remaining 20k/hr into double prod to saturate their 60k prod cap. That's over 50m fleet per month, JUST ON THEIR OWN ECONOMY. Way too huge of a change imo.
  • Also with above, isn't that pretty abusable with goods? Say I'm limited at 200M fleet. I can build 199M fleet, and then start pumping 60k goods per hour. Now my fleet is still (nearly) capped, but I'm still getting the bonus production credits that I'm converting via goods into real credits for new bases or whatnot.
If I misunderstood any part of the math involved, please point it out. Specifically, did I understand the part about each level of the Supply Hub, "gives you 20 percent of your income as production income"? Because that seems brokenly overpowered to me.

~Time flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana~
Akira wrote:Attention whoring is not technically against the rules. Carry on
Ribbentrop wrote:I'm like five trolls put together to form an ultimate troll Zord!
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 03:25

You know, I could have sworn that the bonus income thing was 10%. Basilisk is entirely right - 20% is too high. You should be encouraged to keep attacking if you want your queues to run full steam. I could support a 10% and 10% bonus for prod and econ, as prod is always higher than econ. Although, Basilisk, I think that a lot of your concerns aren't really that much of a problem. Going with the soft cap of 200m, there are only three people in the entire game right now who are past that. It's not that big of a problem in that area. I also don't see it punishing simmers. Your production doesn't stop, after all. It just adds some parity into the process. Think about when a massive simmer loses his fleet; you could spend two years building up a massive fleet, only to have it all blown up. With income and prod as they are, it would take another year or two to build back up to what you previously had. With this, it would cut that time by about a third.

Really, what's more important to the average player? The prestige of having 200m that they worked for years to build, or the ability to use that fleet without requiring another two years to get it back?

Oh, and also, I think that this could never work unless the bank/prod bonus did not apply to goods.

blahblah
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby blahblah » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:04

how about adding an XP component
say when using the bonus feature you have to spend 1xp per 5 credits to build fleet
also a new commander to turn the feature on
say a lev 15 or whatever rebuild commander to activate the bonus
just to make it so players have to
a) loose fleet to be able to use it
b) have gained a level of XP before they can gain the feature

I would see this a good feature for accounts that have taken a long time to build and
don't have the incentive to rebuild fleet
not for new servers so top rank players can get even further ahead
it concerns me that it could be game breaking around the 3/4 month point of a new server

giving AE the bird since 2009

Return to “FR Workshop”