An Improvement to Corvettes

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
Ron Burgandy
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: Ceti:ASG
Galaxy: Ceti

Re: An Improvement to Corvettes

Postby Ron Burgandy » Thu 01 Dec, 2011 23:53

This is at the beginning of the life of AE, not a truely good example.

To be fair, this was far from game changing. Ion units are still considered inferior.

I stand by my points I made earlier:
Ron Burgandy wrote:...People who have copious amounts of corvettes already have an unfair advantage because those corvettes instantly become better ... People already with corvettes will inherit a super fast carrier unit, faster than frigates ... one week is not nearly enough time to give before implementation.

...lol plus why should i tell you?? your the one who wants to jump in and bite the lion on the nuts
I may not be active, but I am watching ... Always watching :twisted:
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Fri 02 Dec, 2011 00:20

Ugborg wrote:
Ron Burgandy wrote:
Ugborg wrote:Did you think he recommended telling the users and then needlessly giving yourself only one week to change the code and test it? Seriously?

Not at all, what he meant, at least the way I read into it, is to inform the AE general populous of the impending change and implement it one week later.

What this means is:
1. People who have copious amounts of corvettes already have an unfair advantage because those corvettes instantly become better.
2. People already with corvettes will inherit a super fast carrier unit, faster than frigates.

This what I was pointing out, one week is not nearly enough time to give before implementation.

Fortunately we can use history as our guide on this one.

http://forum.astroempires.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1982
1 week implementation

http://forum.astroempires.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77670
1 week implementation

Unfortunately, I can't find the frigate hangar change in the Dev Log.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20414
3 weeks

However, a lot of things were changed in this update.

Descolada
Silver Member
Silver Member
Galaxy: Pegasus

Postby Descolada » Fri 02 Dec, 2011 04:24

Ugborg wrote:
Ron Burgandy wrote:
Ugborg wrote:Did you think he recommended telling the users and then needlessly giving yourself only one week to change the code and test it? Seriously?

Not at all, what he meant, at least the way I read into it, is to inform the AE general populous of the impending change and implement it one week later.

What this means is:
1. People who have copious amounts of corvettes already have an unfair advantage because those corvettes instantly become better.
2. People already with corvettes will inherit a super fast carrier unit, faster than frigates.

This what I was pointing out, one week is not nearly enough time to give before implementation.

Fortunately we can use history as our guide on this one.

http://forum.astroempires.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1982
1 week implementation

http://forum.astroempires.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77670
1 week implementation

Unfortunately, I can't find the frigate hangar change in the Dev Log.

Good points

people usings BS's at the time got an "unfair" (to a noob) advantage when IF's and IB's came about and improved. Besides Vettes stacks are rare, and for lols...not serious business...Unless this was implanted

I personally like that if this took place, the effect on early vette wars, adds new elements (none of which I find negative) So if vettes were given 1 or .5 hanger space (whatever is finally agreed on) I would suggest putting the change at the same time a new server roles out.

tl;dr
Soundwave
Banned
Banned

Postby Soundwave » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 21:54

If i can ask that Corvettes carry only Fighters and Bombers - One unit per corvette.

Reason is that bombers are another ship that is not used so much. If Heavy Bombers and Ion Bombers are allowed then ppl will again skip bombers.

Also one Example : Corvette / Fleet Carrier stack that carries Fighters + Heavy bombers , Corvettes will carry heavy bombers on first attack , drop them and return for more.
I am against this.

Keep only fighters + bombers ships allowed to be carried by corvettes.

This way , if fleet has additional carrier ships , these ships will be needed to carry heavy bombers or ion bombers.

In any way , option that corvettes carry heavy bombers and ion bombers can be implemented later if need arises.

So i am for this improvement , if only fighters and bombers are allowed to be carried by corvettes.

Quiting this *beep* game.

*beep* you all.
felipeconqueso
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: GORR
Galaxy: Ixion

Postby felipeconqueso » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 19:00

well the author of this thread has obviously never seen a CV swarm. vettes are the second best swarm unit behind FT and with their unmatched speed you can do incredible amounts of damage with enough of them. And giving vettes hagars would make frig stacks useless.

crusaderknight
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: NeM on Delta
Galaxy: Delta

Postby crusaderknight » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 06:42

felipeconqueso wrote:well the author of this thread has obviously never seen a CV swarm. vettes are the second best swarm unit behind FT and with their unmatched speed you can do incredible amounts of damage with enough of them. And giving vettes hagars would make frig stacks useless.

I feel as though Frigates are much better against capital ships and P-rings than CVs are. I could be wrong but aren't they?

Thanks,
Crusader
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:43

felipeconqueso wrote:well the author of this thread has obviously never seen a CV swarm. vettes are the second best swarm unit behind FT and with their unmatched speed you can do incredible amounts of damage with enough of them. And giving vettes hagars would make frig stacks useless.

I have seen a CV swarm, actually. Exactly one. And it's owner decided not to bother rebuilding it after it was zf'd. Shows how overpowered CV swarms are.

If you think Vettes with hangars would make Frigs useless, you probably haven't used Frigs before either, since much of their value lies in their high power. Hangars are important too, of course, but they are not the only benefit of Frigates. At any rate, there's already been quite a lot of comparison between Frigates and Corvettes w/ Hangars in this very thread, and I must say I'm pleased with the results.

crusaderknight
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: NeM on Delta
Galaxy: Delta

Postby crusaderknight » Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:54

Does this mean that the graphic will be redone for the CV? Not that it matters if it is or not...just curious.

Thanks,
Crusader
Descolada
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Descolada » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 18:26

Wlerin wrote:

I have seen a CV swarm, actually. Exactly one. And it's owner decided not to bother rebuilding it after it was zf'd. Shows how overpowered CV swarms are.

If you think Vettes with hangars would make Frigs useless, you probably haven't used Frigs before either, since much of their value lies in their high power. Hangars are important too, of course, but they are not the only benefit of Frigates. At any rate, there's already been quite a lot of comparison between Frigates and Corvettes w/ Hangars in this very thread, and I must say I'm pleased with the results.

Erm...you mean "Underpowered" right? Theres 2 units primarily "swarmed" for lolz

Vettes, Scouts, and OS's.

Vettes are scouts and rec snipers (and if this is added, hanger units)
Scouts...are scouts
OS's...are OS's

Perhaps Scouts should get a hanger as well? They fly, drop off a fighter, then go elsewhere for fast efficient scouting.

tl;dr
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 07:05

I was going to just PM this, but the second part of my response is worth posting, if only barely.

Thel Vadam wrote:
Wlerin wrote:

Erm...you mean "Underpowered" right?

... No, obviously I meant overpowered. /facepalm

Thel Vadam wrote:Perhaps Scouts should get a hanger as well? They fly, drop off a fighter, then go elsewhere for fast efficient scouting.

They aren't a combat ship, so there's no reason for them to carry fighters.

Descolada
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Descolada » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 02:45

Alright, alright. You just said he didnt bother to rebuild so I thought it was underpowered.

But seriously, I've only heard and seen of vettes being swarmed for MAJOR rec sniping and lolz...If you could give me an example of where they already raped perhaps?

tl;dr
Hellion
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Hellion » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 17:38

Thel Vadam wrote:Vettes are scouts and rec snipers (and if this is added, hanger units)

Not so much. Its part of what was discussed earlier is that they give really poor ratios against fleet if you just suicide into them unless you can actually take out all their cyclers which 9 times out of 10 is not the case or its hitting naked cyclers which is also not very often the case when your opponent is halfway competent.

Also some people have used it as a build before just the fact that its not very popular being that frig + fighters = same armor/cost ratio as pure vettes. Vettes just lose the ability to drop and don't have as high of crossover damage for a bit of speed.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 21:33

Thel Vadam wrote:Alright, alright. You just said he didnt bother to rebuild so I thought it was underpowered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Verbal_irony

Thel Vadam wrote:But seriously, I've only heard and seen of vettes being swarmed for MAJOR rec sniping and lolz...If you could give me an example of where they already raped perhaps?

Read the thread.

The One
Silver Member
Silver Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby The One » Mon 07 May, 2012 00:02

I'd like to know if the devs are even considering this, I have been building my vetts up in anticipation. I think it's good, however, What about the destroyer? Speaking logically, A destroyer should have hangar space, especially if it's twice as costly as the vett. giving the destroyer 2 hangar space though... Hmmm.... Heavy bombers away!

Delm Korval
Guild: M:[EAA4]
Galaxy: Mira

Postby Delm Korval » Sat 12 May, 2012 15:12

ooh, let's give fts hanger space too! that will make them more useful!

Corvettes getting some hanger space makes them usable, destroyers getting it makes destroyer spec way powerful

Return to “FR Workshop”