Mid Flight Disband of Fleet 2.0

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
Vaters
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: WKYSB
Galaxy: Nova

Re: Mid Flight Disband of Fleet 2.0

Postby Vaters » Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:17

Right, If you really want this to be a fair system its easy.

Make the Recall and Disband buttons mutually exclusive, ie you cant disband your fleet once you have recalled it.

I fully agree with this, so long as the fleet is above a certain size. Scouts in recall should be disband-able. Someone already mentioned a way to do this, a time vs size way. But there are lots of ways. I support the theory fully.

I agree with the original post that allowing fleets to disband REDUCES the incentive to spend the time recall trapping active players. I feel it places a heavier incentive on catching people inactive - a much less thrilling aspect of the game. At all times, I rate ideas based on their likelyhood of increasing activity in the game. That should be the bottom line goal always. I feel this idea does that.

Catching enemies in a legitimate recall trap is one of the most rewarding victories I can recall having in this game as an individual player. Early on in my AE career doing so increased my interest in the game and incentive to be active. So again I support this idea.

- NightStalker on Nova
Sard
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Sard » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 00:11

Lol Ribbbentrop

Ferdoc wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to explain why avoiding a recall trap by a last resort NEEDS to be limited and/or removed.

I think people above have already said it, however lets reverse the question

Can someone explain why Disband exists in a spaceboat war game, a command that does not relate to a game which is designed to allow you to attack other peoples bases and their fleet ??

Why does a game have such a feature, when everything else is designed for the opposite ??

To me Disband was created to avoid the problem of not being able to move fleet, if Occupation forces of lets say FT which cant move by themselves were left on an Astro, giving you negative fleet campaigns. You cant go and pick them up, and so you are stuck and for you the game would be over.

Disband then becomes a function of the game, a necessary action to allow the game to actually function.

Without Disband, the game ceases to work.

I know in older servers going back a few years, people did not even think of using disband to avoid recall traps - it was frowned upon. Now no-one cares.

Its time this function was amended, to bring back what I believe is its true purpose, and reward those in the game that play the game as it should be played.

Dr Rush
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: A~[{V}]

Postby Dr Rush » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 21:30

Sard wrote:
Dr Rush wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that disbanding mid-flight is a valid Tactic.

Its not a tactic at all

Who jumps into flight with the intention of disbanding?

No disbanding is just a way to say Stuff You. If you have caught me, then I will make sure you have wasted your time by disbanding my fleet so you get nothing.

A tactic is something that is planned. This is just a reaction to circumstances that the player no longer controls, and is now the norm. Just something else that makes the player base get angry after putting in valid strategy, time and effort to recall trap someone.

And I personally do not think that the developers added disbanding as a valid method to avoid recall traps. The ability to disband in a strategic war game to avoid an attack, does not make sense.

2 words: Scorched Earth

Yes, I'm a *beep* get over it.
Retired: TM for ICO on A, Deputy GM of PRIV on K, OCM for SHANK on L, GM of PRIV on M
Help New players! Contribute to this thread.
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 11:17

Sard wrote:Its not a tactic at all

Who jumps into flight with the intention of disbanding?

A tactic is something that is planned. This is just a reaction to circumstances that the player no longer controls, and is now the norm. Just something else that makes the player base get angry after putting in valid strategy, time and effort to recall trap someone.

It's a tactic, not a strategy. Strategies are your overarching plans, the tactics you use to achieve those plans can change in the middle of a battle in response to battlefield conditions. For example, when the battlefield conditions spiral out of control and your immediate goals can no longer be achieved, you need to find a tactic that will further your long term ones (e.g. preventing the enemy from outpacing your guild, in this case by not feeding them).

If you're going to look up the meanings of complex topics, it's a much better idea to use an encyclopedia than a dictionary.

redphienix
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby redphienix » Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:20

Denial of resources is a valid tactic.

In response to AE I hate it, but I couldn't begin to claim it is not a valid tactic. The enemy loses all their fleet and you lose time (and possibly 'some' fleet if you are tricked into attacking defenses you wouldn't have been hitting solely).

It sucks. And it means you lost the chance at profit, but they lost their fleet just the same.

Long time lurker.
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 13:34

Sard wrote:Can someone explain why Disband exists in a spaceboat war game, a command that does not relate to a game which is designed to allow you to attack other peoples bases and their fleet ??

Why does a game have such a feature, when everything else is designed for the opposite ??

To me Disband was created to avoid the problem of not being able to move fleet, if Occupation forces of lets say FT which cant move by themselves were left on an Astro, giving you negative fleet campaigns. You cant go and pick them up, and so you are stuck and for you the game would be over.

Disband then becomes a function of the game, a necessary action to allow the game to actually function.

Without Disband, the game ceases to work.

I know in older servers going back a few years, people did not even think of using disband to avoid recall traps - it was frowned upon. Now no-one cares.

Its time this function was amended, to bring back what I believe is its true purpose, and reward those in the game that play the game as it should be played.

Actually, your theory has a few critical flaws. You see, the game specifically accounts for disbanding in flight by giving you zero discount. It also gives you a higher discount for disbanding on your own base. This means that the devs foresaw and, dare I say, intended to allow people to disband more than just occupations that they cannot move. And, by the way, I'm pretty sure that you can move existing fleets even when you have negative campaign fleets - you just can't make new fleets, which means that you can't separate an existing stack of units.

In other words, your reasoning is 100% faulty and is thus vacuous. Thanks for playing.

By the way, would you like to know a tactic that I've used in the past where I moved fleet with the intention of disbanding it? I used to run capitals, you see. When an invasion came that I couldn't be around for, my fleet would scatter - some of it on short flights, others, like my DS, on long flights. The enemy knew all of our safe havens, so I needed some clever misdirection to clear my tail. One such game involved recalls and disbanding.

Picture this: you have ten fleets in motion, with half of them on recall, and some of them which you know the enemy did not see launch or recall - but you know that, once it gets into view, it will be seen. What I did was trick my enemies into going after the wrong fleets by launching small, similar-sized fleets to and from different places. They would see one that was on recall coming in, but not know that it was on recall - just as I planned it, since that would be one of my smaller fleets. They position forces to catch it if it lands, and I disband it in mid-flight, causing them to think that I merely recalled the fleet. This causes them to launch to one of my other regular launch zones to catch me. Meanwhile, my larger fleet, coming in just after the other one, lands safely and flies off again.

You see? Tactics.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."

Return to “FR Workshop”