Solving the Population Density Problem with Space Stations

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
Droideka

Solving the Population Density Problem with Space Stations

Postby Droideka » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 07:40

I think AE has a population density problem. There is a lot of waiting for things to happen, and not enough fast-paced interactions. Too many star systems have zero, or one, or two bases. Many times there are unfavorable astros. But there are also too many galaxies per server, in my opinion. I think AE needs to encourage proximity between players rather than spread them out. The solution I thought of is the introduction of space stations. I'm sure others have asked for these staples of sci-fi, but perhaps previous suggestions are not the same as mine. Here's what I had in mind:

You send an outpost ship to an astro like always, and under "build base" there is "build space station". If you select space station, a new astro is created under the astro where the outpost ship landed. So when you look at the star system as a whole, there is a new astro (the space station) that is also your newest base. It costs the same as a conventional base or more. There would be a limit to the total number of astros per orbit slot (maybe 5?). So a system with only 2 planets and 2 orbit slots could have up to 8 space stations (or fewer?). Disbanding a base means destroying the space station. If a player deletes his/her account, the space station would be deleted once stability reached 0%.

Here's a starting point for stats:
Astro Type: Space Station
Terrain: Vacuum/None
Area 50
Solar (+1 more than normal astro)
Fertility 3
Metal 0
Gas 0
Crystals 0

space ports don't need area
50% speed bonus (works like a JG)
all accounts get up to 5 space stations, cost system is same as for normal bases but 2x for first one
occupation decreases durability/stability by 3% per day; once at 00%, it becomes a wreck;
if liberated before that, it regenerates at 3% per day
wreck loses durability/stability at 4% per day and gets deleted at zero;
wreck has no owner/income/etc., but ships can land there

I think such an addition to the game would greatly increase population density. Like a city, neighborhoods (guild-dominated) and close-knit communities could develop, making the social aspect of the game much more engaging. I hope that this would encourage frequent, small-scale skirmishes rather than blob attacks where you wait days or weeks for your fleet to reach its destination. I'm eager to hear tweaks/adjustments from other users, and reasons why this wouldn't work. :pray:
Last edited by Droideka on Mon 21 Oct, 2013 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Re: Solving the Population Density Problem with Space Statio

Postby Wlerin » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 07:45

The problem is the lack of players, not the lack of bases.

Unfortunately.

It costs the same as a conventional base or more.
Fertility 3
Metal 2

Well, that's ... really bad. Not sure why someone would ever build one of these, especially if it counts against your base count.

Er, except:
And there should be something like 10-50% speed bonus for departing fleets.

^That could be really powerful. I'm not really sure how it fits in with the space station idea, though.

You get points for the presentation (well, a little too much colour, but otherwise), but the idea... well, a) it doesn't solve the problem you're seeking to address, b) the stats as given aren't attractive. However, the idea of a constructed base, while not precisely new, is not a terrible one.

Goter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: In one of them.
Galaxy: Fenix

Postby Goter » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 08:05

Why do I feel instead of a base it can be used as a capital sort of structure, or one per base sort of thing? Give it some extremely good bonuses, and give it a fairly high cost (I was thinking 100,000-200,000).

Points for presentation at least as Wlerin said.

Need a new quote.
redphienix
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby redphienix » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 08:20

I can't help but see this only adding one thing to the game, and that would be that now single system regions will lose some appeal.

That good old lvl 20 sim account the enemy guild has just managed to sneak an outpost into your nook and now you have perm eyes despite having filled the region :)

The idea doesn't really affect much other than making eyes easier to get into places.

Normal accounts would avoid these due to poor stats.

Long time lurker.
Droideka

Postby Droideka » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 08:35

Thanks for the feedback! I think this feature could keep more people from quitting the game. You don't have to go around looking for good astros (most of which are taken), and you can build next door to your friends. My reasoning is that this should maintain engagement in the game. If you keep folks interested, they don't quit. If fewer people quit, you have more players in the server/galaxy.

How about these stats:
Area 50
Solar (+1)
Fertility 4
Metal 3
Gas 0
Crystals 0
space ports don't need area (or maybe population?)
10% speed bonus (works like a JG)

My thinking with the last 2 points are that a space station should be specially equipped to handle ships. There's no gravity to work against them, and the facilities are built with space travel as the only means of transportation. I'm leaning away from higher cost for the base, since I'd want new players to be able to build these. I want the main draw to be that these can be anywhere. You don't have to find a good astro that's likely to be already taken. But if you do find such an astro, you can disband your space station and build there. Convenience and proximity. And how about some sort of bonus for command centers? Would that make a better balance?

Yes, you could infiltrate solo systems. But a space station counts as a normal base (cost). So I don't think it would be a big problem in that respect.
Last edited by Droideka on Sun 13 Oct, 2013 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Droideka

Postby Droideka » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 08:46

And how about some sort of bonus for command centers? Would that make a better balance?

redphienix
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby redphienix » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 09:00

The possibility of a 5 solar 3 metal astro is all well and good but I'm not so sure that would outweigh the area.

With 22 terra 10 mlp we only see 260 area, and I only build higher than that if I make a nice hit and the base is worth the investment.

The energy boost might save a little area but enough to make the base worth it?

Boosting CCs won't do much of anything to be honest though :P

A free account maxes at 125 area on this thing :/

Upgraded accounts who are only willing to spend 500k~ on each structure will 'max' around the 260 mark I mentioned.

Rocky planets can net 160 area on a free account and moons 150. This base looks like a big jump back compared to making a regular base, and my head's too tired to math out if +1 solar would change that.

The best feature it has is the speed boost, and I'm still not so sure :/

Long time lurker.
Droideka

Postby Droideka » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 09:04

How about these stats:
Area 60
Solar (+1)
Fertility 4
Metal 3
Gas 0
Crystals 0

redphienix
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby redphienix » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 09:11

Droideka wrote:How about these stats:
Area 60
Solar (+1)
Fertility 4
Metal 3
Gas 0
Crystals 0

At this point I begin seeing a problem again.

With these stats it is arguably useful BUT that is because it is an asteroid with 5 less area and +1 solar to overcome that.

That's without mentioning that this, in comparison with an Asteroid, overcomes it with the speed boost, ports being area-less, and the fact that these can be built anywhere!

It's an overpowered Asteroid now :scared:

I feel I pushed it there -.-

Long time lurker.
Droideka

Postby Droideka » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 09:16

Okay.
How about these stats:

Area 50
Solar (normal)
Fertility 4
Metal 3
Gas 0
Crystals 0
space ports don't need area

I also feel the build-these-anywhere quality should be considered a big advantage.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:32

Droideka wrote:Yes, you could infiltrate solo systems. But a space station counts as a normal base (cost). So I don't think it would be a big problem in that respect.

If it can't be destroyed, then it *is* a big problem. Permanent eyes on what should have been a solo system is bad.

Droideka

Postby Droideka » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:41

Well. . . hmmm. I said before that you land your outpost ship on a normal astro. How about limiting space stations to orbits that already have an astro in the first place? If you're in a one-astro system, you or your guild mates could build space stations to fill the remaining spots in that orbit.

Or have space stations that can be destroyed. Any suggestions on the requirements for blowing up someone's space station?
How about defeating the defenses destroys the space station. What you would have received as pillage instead becomes debris over the nearest normal astro. I think I like destructibility. That would keep players from getting too docile.

Avaqian
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [RL]
[Crack]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Avaqian » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 15:16

If the base was destroyed once the defenses were down, it would be pretty useless. The only way to counteract that would be to plant a ton of fleet and high CCs, which goes against the area costs. And JGs add 100% speed bonus, not 10%. Red is right though, it is now kind of an OP asteroid. When you say moon orbiting a planet, do you mean that it is below/above the planet in the same slot? Also, if you do take this idea and then just never add more than 30 galaxies to a server, I think it would help. But yeah, this would not be useful for free accounts really at all, just because of the limited area.

redphienix
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby redphienix » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 15:38

Destructibility is an awful addition.

These are to be bases, full price and adding to base count.
Destructible bases is just plain bad and would make these an addition that no one ever considered using. :/

Long time lurker.
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 19:59

redphienix wrote:Destructibility is an awful addition.

These are to be bases, full price and adding to base count.
Destructible bases is just plain bad and would make these an addition that no one ever considered using. :/

On the other hand, if they aren't destructible then it's too powerful.

Return to “FR Workshop”