READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
User avatar
Zoran
Global Moderator
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun 25 May, 2008 18:59
Reputation: 44

READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby Zoran » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 20:22

Greetings to all my subjects and welcome to the new FR workshop sub-board.
As I'm sure you're all aware, all posts will be checked by moderators before they are allowed, now I'm sure once we get things going that a lot of posts will start flowing in that will need to be checked.
My single request is to obey the rules laid out in FR to the strictest sense when replying to a topic.

I don't want to see any No/Yes posts, nor any flaming, trolling or otherwise rude behavior, if I feel so much as a twinge of any of the above, you will receive a warning. This will not be heavily enforced immediately so as to give some time as to what we expect. But once it gets busy, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also on a side note, this is meant as a serious board, Sarcasm and smarting off will be punished along with flaming and trolling.

Thank you
Your Global Dictator,
~Zoran.

If you disagree with a decision of mine, click here to learn how to appeal

The Rules: Read them and obey them

The Global Dictator has Returned.
User avatar
Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer
Posts: 4442
Joined: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 14:53
Reputation: 274
Galaxy: Alpha
Location: Great Britain

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby Callum » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 21:29

I hope this becomes an important stepping stone to ideas being fully fleshed out and accepted; and so become a useful tool for the Staff as well.

I'm looking forward to what the first topic will be. :)

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
User avatar
basilisk101
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2668
Joined: Sat 24 May, 2008 22:28
Reputation: 71

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby basilisk101 » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 02:22

Zoran wrote:Also on a side note, this is meant as a serious board, Sarcasm and smarting off will be punished along with flaming and trolling.

Can there be more closely-enforced rules to making well-written posts, just for the workshop posts?

Not trying to be a grammar nazi, but some posts are so poorly written that I honestly have to read them multiple times before I understand what they're trying to say. It sometimes devolves into an argument over semantics.

And I don't mean that posts have to be 100% perfect, because they don't, since simple spelling and grammar mistakes don't provide a hindrance to reading/discussing a topic, but there are some people that just refuse to spellcheck anything or use the period key, at all. So much so that I usually just ignore their post since it isn't worth the effort of deciphering their huge run-on sentence of leetspeak.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
Specifically, this. If the moderator has to read the post more than twice to understand it, they should not post it and instead ask the poster to make their post read-able before it will be posted.

~Time flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana~

Akira wrote:Attention whoring is not technically against the rules. Carry on

Ribbentrop wrote:I'm like five trolls put together to form an ultimate troll Zord!
User avatar
Zoran
Global Moderator
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun 25 May, 2008 18:59
Reputation: 44

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby Zoran » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:20

basilisk101 wrote:
Zoran wrote:Also on a side note, this is meant as a serious board, Sarcasm and smarting off will be punished along with flaming and trolling.

Can there be more closely-enforced rules to making well-written posts, just for the workshop posts?

Not trying to be a grammar nazi, but some posts are so poorly written that I honestly have to read them multiple times before I understand what they're trying to say. It sometimes devolves into an argument over semantics.

And I don't mean that posts have to be 100% perfect, because they don't, since simple spelling and grammar mistakes don't provide a hindrance to reading/discussing a topic, but there are some people that just refuse to spellcheck anything or use the period key, at all. So much so that I usually just ignore their post since it isn't worth the effort of deciphering their huge run-on sentence of leetspeak.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
Specifically, this. If the moderator has to read the post more than twice to understand it, they should not post it and instead ask the poster to make their post read-able before it will be posted.


I do encourage English speakers to use proper usage of the language when posting. However; for those that are not native to it, I am not expecting them to use complete and precise grammar. It will be based on a poster to poster bases. Since most of these idea's will be posted here only after being groomed carefully, it is highly unlikely that you will have to worry about an idea being hard to understand.

If you disagree with a decision of mine, click here to learn how to appeal

The Rules: Read them and obey them

The Global Dictator has Returned.
User avatar
Faithless
Banned
Banned
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 23:41
Reputation: 7
Guild: A - [NPO]
B - [AA]
K - [CRY]
Galaxy: Beta
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby Faithless » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 13:36

i think this board is a good idea, oh yeah, i'm the real dictator here :paranoid: anyway this board will be good for viewing serious topics and all, i like the idea of this board :)

[AA] FADM And OC
Ribbentrop wrote:You're so clueless it's almost adorable.

Sammael wrote:don't think anyone's ever claimed faithless was fast
SpeedySurfer
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue 13 May, 2008 21:52
Reputation: 64
Guild: M: SEXY
N: TIME
Galaxy: Nova
Location: UK

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby SpeedySurfer » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 15:26

Zoran wrote:I do encourage English speakers to use proper usage of the language when posting. However; for those that are not native to it, I am not expecting them to use complete and precise grammar. It will be based on a poster to poster bases. Since most of these idea's will be posted here only after being groomed carefully, it is highly unlikely that you will have to worry about an idea being hard to understand.

At the very least can we stop people posting in text speak?

M: SEXY | N: TIME
User avatar
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:59
Reputation: 18
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta
Location: The WorldWide Banana Convention
Contact:

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby CHERUB » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 17:34

Most people don't really do that on here anyway. Unless you are talking about the various "ur"s and "lol"s etc.

I personally find "ur" very useful, but I will desist in posting that (as seen above), if the dictator makes it against the dictator rules.

:boohoo:

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
User avatar
Hellion
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 5462
Joined: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 15:11
Reputation: 63

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby Hellion » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 17:35

basilisk101 wrote:
Zoran wrote:Also on a side note, this is meant as a serious board, Sarcasm and smarting off will be punished along with flaming and trolling.

Can there be more closely-enforced rules to making well-written posts, just for the workshop posts?

Not trying to be a grammar nazi, but some posts are so poorly written that I honestly have to read them multiple times before I understand what they're trying to say. It sometimes devolves into an argument over semantics.

And I don't mean that posts have to be 100% perfect, because they don't, since simple spelling and grammar mistakes don't provide a hindrance to reading/discussing a topic, but there are some people that just refuse to spellcheck anything or use the period key, at all. So much so that I usually just ignore their post since it isn't worth the effort of deciphering their huge run-on sentence of leetspeak.


All in all the english language is a matter of getting your thoughts moved over to the reader and most have the basic understanding of figuring out what the poster meant. Also you have to take into consideration things dont start off at the workshop but are moved to the workshop by going through FR. If its completely hated or people completely dont understand the OP then I highly doubt it would make it to the workshop to be fine tuned. An example is that even Zoran made a couple even in this thread but it doesnt change the fact I was able to understand him.

Image
SpeedySurfer
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue 13 May, 2008 21:52
Reputation: 64
Guild: M: SEXY
N: TIME
Galaxy: Nova
Location: UK

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby SpeedySurfer » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 18:16

CHERUB wrote:Most people don't really do that on here anyway. Unless you are talking about the various "ur"s and "lol"s etc.

I personally find "ur" very useful, but I will desist in posting that (as seen above), if the dictator makes it against the dictator rules.

:boohoo:

Yes, I'm referring to people saying things such as "u" instead of "you", "ur" instead of "your/you're", "2" instead of "to/too" etc. This isn't a text message, there isn't a 160 character limit.

M: SEXY | N: TIME
User avatar
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:59
Reputation: 18
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta
Location: The WorldWide Banana Convention
Contact:

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby CHERUB » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 18:23

I just do it to save time. I type faster using that. But I guess u have a point.

If we could please have a bit of give and take on this rule, that would be good. Don't make people re do their whole message just because they used "u" instead of "you" a few times.

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
User avatar
MasterVader
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed 03 Sep, 2008 22:03
Reputation: 97

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby MasterVader » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 19:48

CHERUB wrote:I just do it to save time. I type faster using that. But I guess u have a point.


You save a matter of seconds, if even. The tradeoff between spending a few measly seconds to spell out all the words you used text-speak on, and the clarity that's there for other posters is hardly worth it. I'd very much like it to be enforced, at the very least in the workshop.
Nothing makes a person's post seem more idiotic than tping liek dis cuz dey dun wunt 2 tipe rite. Even if they have a valid point in what they're saying, it's hard to be taken seriously when they won't take the time to use proper English.

Not saying that everyone has to have flawless grammar skills, but there ought to be SOME line.

The Callum wrote:I'm looking forward to what the first topic will be. :)


You're posting in it. :paranoid:

Dark Zero wrote:Sometimes you really creep me out, you know that?


Diablous wrote: Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
User avatar
Achilles
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 15:15
Reputation: 33

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby Achilles » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 02:04

Don't critisize spelling guys, you know that. And don't go after grammar either, by the time an idea reaches here it'll be proof read and fixed

Go Go Power Rangers!
User avatar
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:59
Reputation: 18
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta
Location: The WorldWide Banana Convention
Contact:

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby CHERUB » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 04:02

You guys are actually going to proofread an ENTIRE thread? Yeah that's gonna take forever, especially if it is one of those 13 page long ones.

But I guess props to you people for being thorough.

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
User avatar
Narth Vader
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2522
Joined: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 13:41
Reputation: 37
Guild: B[~AoV~]
Galaxy: Beta

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby Narth Vader » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 20:41

CHERUB wrote:You guys are actually going to proofread an ENTIRE thread? Yeah that's gonna take forever, especially if it is one of those 13 page long ones.

But I guess props to you people for being thorough.


No, not exactly. They moderate each post as it gets submitted in here and check for content. If it doesn't meet the criteria, then it gets modded or deleted. so the thread won't be moderated after it's 13 pages long, or so I interpreted the Dictator's description.

Image
Image
Image
Zoran wrote:Props to the Vaders for beating me to the lock.
User avatar
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:59
Reputation: 18
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta
Location: The WorldWide Banana Convention
Contact:

Re: READ BEFORE REPLYING: Laws and Regulations

Postby CHERUB » Sat 25 Dec, 2010 01:46

But what about the threads that get to 13 pages long before they get promoted to the FR workshop? Will they actually moderate the 13 pages worth and spell-check and grammar-check the whole 13 pages before they move it?

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.

Return to “FR Workshop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest