Change to Upgrades

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Change to Upgrades

Postby Winchester » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 23:22

Preliminaries:

This thread is made in conjunction with the database thread, as it is a separate request, yet still contains elements necessary to the DB one. It should be fairly short, so don’t worry.

Meta-Accounts:

As Xaman has stated that they are working on a portal account that will add together all of your server accounts, it makes sense to add an option to upgrade multiple servers at once, so that you get a bit of a discount:

Upgrade five or more servers at once (1m-6mo): 5% discount on total due
Each additional server after five: 1% discount on total due

Upgrade five or more servers at once (12mo): 10% discount on total due
Each additional server after five: 2% discount on total due

Veteran’s Upgrade:
  • Account must be at least one year old
  • Provides empire tabs (scanners, capacities, etc)
  • Provides vacation mode
  • Removes automatic deletion after 15 days inactivity
  • Unlimited bases/advanced structures
  • Only available in 6mo and 12mo
  • 6mo: 7.99 Euros
  • 12mo: 12.99 Euros
Veteran’s Database Package:
  • Account must be at least one year old
  • Provides empire tabs (scanners, capacities, etc)
  • Provides vacation mode
  • Removes automatic deletion after 15 days inactivity
  • Unlimited bases/advanced structures
  • Provides unlimited database functionality*
  • Only available in 6mo and 12mo
  • 6mo: 12.99 Euros
  • 12mo: 17.99 Euros

*See database functionality section below

Regular Upgrades – 1-6mo:

Limited database functionality is added. Everything else remains the same.

Regular Upgrades – 12mo:

Unlimited database functionality is added. Everything else remains the same.

A la carte:

Each item is only available in 6mo and 12mo blocks. You must order all items in the same size block. Items can be added to regular upgrades of the same sized block. Upgrades containing a la carte options only come into effect when the prior upgrade is expired; you cannot add a regular upgrade/other a la carte features until an upgrade containing a la carte items is expired.
    • No advertising/upload avatar/board and inbox posts at 20/account not deleted after 15 days inactivity – 6mo: 1.25 Euros / 12mo: 1.79 Euros
    • Unlimited bases/advanced structures – 6mo: 2.99 Euros / 12mo: 3.79 Euros
    • Construction/research queue (can add multiple times to increase queue – each one adds three slots) – 6mo: 1.25 Euros / 12mo: 1.79 Euros
    • Bookmarks (can add multiple times to increase bookmarks – each one adds 15) – 6mo: 1.25 Euros / 12mo: 1.79 Euros
    • Advanced empire view (scanners, capacities, etc) – 6mo: 3.99 Euros / 12mo: 5.79 Euros
    • Vacation mode – 6mo: 3.99 Euros / 12mo: 5.79 Euros
    • Limited database functionality – 6mo: 4.99 Euros / 12mo: 5.79 Euros
    • Unlimited database functionality – 6mo: 5.99 Euros / 12mo: 7.79 Euros
    For a comparison, the current 6mo/12mo upgrades cost 14.99 and 19.99 Euros, respectively. If you got everything individually, it would cost 19.71 and 28.53 Euros, respectively. Purchasing VM, advanced empire view, and unlimited bases/advanced structures in the Veteran’s Upgrade costs 7.99/12.99. Purchasing those a la carte would cost 10.97/15.37. Going with the database package is 12.99/17.99, compared to the a la carte version, which is 16.96/23.16.

As you can see, going with a packaged deal means that you save money; however, the stripped down packages are without a few things like extra bookmarks, which you can pick up using the a la carte option. You can also save money if the only thing you want is, say, full DB access.

Limited Database Functionality:

For more details on what the specific database functions are, please see the database thread.
    • Can only perform 5 DB searches per hour
    • Can only add 50 DB entries per hour
    • Entries are automatically deleted after 7 days
    • Cannot search DB for fleets
    Unlimited Database Functionality:
    • Unlimited DB searches
    • Unlimited DB entries
    • Entries are automatically deleted after 60 days
    • Access to “Copy All” button*
    • Can copy scanner data to DB from scanner page
    • Can search DB for fleets
*See database thread for details

Closing Thoughts:

I've long advocated changes to upgrades; this is a new stab at it, while including a change that goes along with the DB thread. As such, there isn't really much more to say. Comments, questions, and critiques are welcome.

Edit: Fixed one of the prices.
Last edited by Winchester on Wed 10 Nov, 2010 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
actimel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: X.Org
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Change to Upgrades

Postby actimel » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 00:46

does the veteran upgrade includes the unlimited upgraded buildings or do we have to buy it ?

blahblah
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby blahblah » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:24

can the al a cart be added to the regular updates
the add 3 slots one would be popular
specially on a speed server

giving AE the bird since 2009
basilisk101
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby basilisk101 » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 21:00

While you're at it, what about the ability to buy VM in blocks for extended leave? Either just buying it in 35 day increments for X.XX Euros, or buying X amount of days for Y amount of Euros per day.

~Time flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana~
Akira wrote:Attention whoring is not technically against the rules. Carry on
Ribbentrop wrote:I'm like five trolls put together to form an ultimate troll Zord!
liam777
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: MDK
Galaxy: Ixion

Postby liam777 » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 21:19

basilisk101 wrote:or buying X amount of days for Y amount of Euros per day.
would Y be a constant or a function of X?

Spamhead
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: E:3SUM
F:MODS
I:PEACE
Galaxy: Fenix

Postby Spamhead » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 21:47

Ribbentrop wrote: Construction/research queue (can add multiple times to increase queue – each one adds three slots) – 6mo: 1.25 Euros / 12mo: 1.79 Euros
Are you suggesting that there would be no limit to the number of structures/techs that you could have in the queue, if you're willing to pay enough? If so, I don't like that aspect. Far too close to excelling via bank account.

As for the rest, I like the looks of it so far, but I need to have a closer look.

Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: E: [SiN]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Cabbage » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 22:22

spamhead wrote:
Ribbentrop wrote: Construction/research queue (can add multiple times to increase queue – each one adds three slots) – 6mo: 1.25 Euros / 12mo: 1.79 Euros
Are you suggesting that there would be no limit to the number of structures/techs that you could have in the queue, if you're willing to pay enough? If so, I don't like that aspect. Far too close to excelling via bank account.

As for the rest, I like the looks of it so far, but I need to have a closer look.
Really?

Early server, ya ... 8 queues would be awesome.

11 Queues wouldn't make a difference because you cannot queue structures that you do not have.

Late server: Practically useless.

Definitely Signed. Hopefully. :paranoid:

It gets implemented.

Spamhead
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Spamhead » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 22:27

Cabbage wrote:
spamhead wrote:

Really?

Early server, ya ... 8 queues would be awesome.

11 Queues wouldn't make a difference because you cannot queue structures that you do not have.

Late server: Practically useless.

Definitely Signed. Hopefully. :paranoid:

It gets implemented.
And 8 queues being awesome early game is enough. You're essentially putting the less active players on a par with the more active players, as long as they've got big enough bank accounts.

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 22:52

Extra queue slots is one of the most requested things for the elite upgrade. However, what about this - you can only buy one set for every six months that the server has been open. When the server first starts, you can buy one set; at six months, you can buy two; etc. It helps people that get a late start on the server, and is still useful, but removes the overpowered/candyland aspect.

Oh, and regarding blocks of VM time, I've already recently proposed that, and didn't see the need to rehash it here. I would want that kept separate from the a la carte system.

Spamhead
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Spamhead » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 22:54

Ribbentrop wrote:Extra queue slots is one of the most requested things for the elite upgrade. However, what about this - you can only buy one set for every six months that the server has been open. When the server first starts, you can buy one set; at six months, you can buy two; etc. It helps people that get a late start on the server, and is still useful, but removes the overpowered/candyland aspect.
I like that very much. Still rewards the active early game and should bring in some extra revenue.

Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: E: [SiN]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Cabbage » Wed 10 Nov, 2010 23:20

spamhead wrote:And 8 queues being awesome early game is enough. You're essentially putting the less active players on a par with the more active players, as long as they've got big enough bank accounts.
Meh, I am very active, I have done early-server play many many times.

If I could get 8 queues, I would be very ... very happy. Early-server is already packed with activity and you cannot compete unless you stay up for 48 hours. (Trust me, I have...)

Adding queues only make it easier for a player to take a power-nap for 2 hours instead of forcing himself to stare at a rather ... awkward screen for far too long.

seth vader
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby seth vader » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 08:44

I'd like it implemented but it can't realistically unless the devs wanted you to pay less

out of hibernation
:) or :)
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:51

seth vader wrote:I'd like it implemented but it can't realistically unless the devs wanted you to pay less
On the contrary, it would actually make the admins more profit. People don't want to buy a full upgrade when the only thing they're interested in is scanners; by offering only scanners, you gain income from the crowd that currently isn't upgraded because they only need the one thing.

CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta

Postby CHERUB » Fri 12 Nov, 2010 19:59

definately in favor of this. very good idea, well thought out and everything. /signed

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta

Postby CHERUB » Sat 13 Nov, 2010 18:19

jsut thought of one thing. For the many people who need the shared IP adress, what do they ahve to do? can they buy a la carte items and they r still "upgraded" or must theystill buy the whole kit and kaboodle to stay legal?

maybe add in an a la carte item for that?

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.

Return to “FR Workshop”