Change to Upgrades

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Re: Change to Upgrades

Postby Winchester » Sat 13 Nov, 2010 19:33

If their a la carte total equals the price of the cheapest regular upgrade - 3.99 Euros - then they can apply for shared IP. All of the package deals, regardless of price, count as upgraded.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta

Postby CHERUB » Sat 13 Nov, 2010 19:47

oh. awsome. that works out just fine then. cant really think of other problems with it lol

oh yeah, I request that this thread along with the db thread be moved to FR workshop, cause lets face it, this is the best idea to fix the scripts that we have, we might as well do everything we cna to make it work

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
seth vader
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby seth vader » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 08:11

like I said earlier, devs don't want it /facepalm would be good though

out of hibernation
:) or :)
blahblah
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby blahblah » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 09:50

seth vader wrote:like I said earlier, devs don't want it /facepalm would be good though

the "devs" have to have a profitable business or AE closes up shop
changes to an income stream have to be thought out so that it improves the game
and stays commercially viable
even thou I like some of these ideas it would be silly to just include them without doing at least
a bit of accounting
this wouldn't be like small changes to the interface
it could effect the viability of the buisness
give them time to do that

giving AE the bird since 2009
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CHERUB » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 16:22

as ribb and others have said, this would actually increase the number of eople spending on upgrades becuase of the a la carte items that everybody wants.

however, due to our limited knowledge of AE's fiscal situation, if we could have Xaman, wizard, or somebody else who knows what they r talking about post here about what they think that this would do to their income bases on changes in the past, that would b great. I hink the onmy real judgement can come from them. if it isnt going to be good, theere are ways to change it to make it better.

So MODs! let us here it.

Annihilator
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: Alpha - UCorp
Galaxy: Alpha
Location: Look up. See the Laser in your eye? I'm at the other end of it.

Postby Annihilator » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 23:09

Ribbentrop wrote:A la carte:

Each item is only available in 6mo and 12mo blocks. You must order all items in the same size block. Items can be added to regular upgrades of the same sized block. Upgrades containing a la carte options only come into effect when the prior upgrade is expired; you cannot add a regular upgrade/other a la carte features until an upgrade containing a la carte items is expired.

I guess the only question I have about this, is what if someone does not have an upgrade, and only buys an a la carte 12 month Advanced building package, and then 3 months later buys a different a la carte package of any size, do they have to wait the other 9 months to get the benefit of the second package? Or would it immediately come into effect and have its own expiration date separate from the first package?

I had a 'Get out of Hell Free' card, but I burned it.
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 23:12

Satanshammer wrote:
Ribbentrop wrote:A la carte:

Each item is only available in 6mo and 12mo blocks. You must order all items in the same size block. Items can be added to regular upgrades of the same sized block. Upgrades containing a la carte options only come into effect when the prior upgrade is expired; you cannot add a regular upgrade/other a la carte features until an upgrade containing a la carte items is expired.

I guess the only question I have about this, is what if someone does not have an upgrade, and only buys an a la carte 12 month Advanced building package, and then 3 months later buys a different a la carte package of any size, do they have to wait the other 9 months to get the benefit of the second package? Or would it immediately come into effect and have its own expiration date separate from the first package?

You would have to wait the 9 months. Or, something that could be added, is include an option to cancel your current upgrade (no refund), thus allowing the new upgrade to come into effect.

Granted, Wizard could figure out a way to allow people to have a la carte upgrades going on their own time schedules; I kept them together because it seemed like the easiest way to approach the issue. It's a matter of ease of coding/resources, not one of balance, so the final say in it would be on Wizard.

Tomination
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: [EH]
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Tomination » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 00:21

The only qualms i have with this from a quick read; are as follows

A: The structure of upgrades are much more complex; perhaps you could display this as a Matrix Table?
B: I dont like the fact that database data will delete after a set amount of days

I will make more thorough feedback later, but i like the premise

Welcome to the Tomination: If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Former Alpha Player: CLS Member, Admiral, Regional Commander, VGM and GM - Former Andromeda Player: [EH] GM
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 00:31

For the bit about the database, could you do me a favor and post any issues in the database thread? We've already discussed the issue of deleting data, and I've since posted an addendum on the subject.

Foamy
Banned
Banned
Guild: F: [RAVE]

Postby Foamy » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 01:29

I agree that this would probably produce more revenue for the site. I also like that it gives you the ability to tailor your upgrade to your own needs.

Of course, there are small details that would need ironing out should it actually be implemented, but on the whole I think it gets a thumbs up from me.

Ribbentrop wrote:I'd wear Xaman on my junk any day of the week.

Support the AE banana hammock petition!

Foamy wisdom #17: The Police never think it's as funny as you do.
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CHERUB » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:28

It also seems to me that people should be able to add to their upgrades. like the a la carte stuff mentioned above. apart from possible coding issues (? on that one), what would be the issue of enabling people to add on a la carte items?

Foamy
Banned
Banned
Guild: F: [RAVE]

Postby Foamy » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 09:58

Only question that remains for me really, is if this were to be implemented, would it be applied retrospectively?

I mean, my fenix account is over a year old, and I paid more for my current upgrade than I would for a veteran's DB package, so if it were brought into effect would I automatically be afforded the DB rights for the remainder of my upgrade?

It would seem only fair, in my eyes, seeing as I paid more for my upgrade, but would be receiving less features. For people who'd not long bought a years upgrade, it would be a bit of a kick in the nads if you then had to purchase DB functionality on top of it.

Ribbentrop wrote:I'd wear Xaman on my junk any day of the week.

Support the AE banana hammock petition!

Foamy wisdom #17: The Police never think it's as funny as you do.
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:01

You mean retroactively, not retrospectively. And yes, I would not see why it wouldn't be added to your current upgrade - meaning that whichever DB level goes with the upgrade you currently have, that's what you get.

Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Philosopher Cody » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:11

I see one major problem with this. This actually encourages script usage. I can easily see Guilds just using a script to still collect the information that they need because it is cheaper. Now one can just buy the upgrade for 4 euros that gives them unlimited bases and structures, and if a Guild is using a script to collect info, just use that instead of the other stuff.

CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CHERUB » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 18:25

it might be cheaper on a person by person baisis, but not to the person who buys the script. no. the person buying the script usully pays at least 10 bucks a month. thats 120 dollars a yeaer plus AE upgrade if they do it. thats a lot of money. what this does is spread it around toe veryone to make it availible for a small cost.

no, people will paufor this ione for 12 simple reason: its legitimate. huindreds of players were banned when the "script war" started lol this wont get them banned. they would pay for that.

Return to “FR Workshop”