Change to Upgrades

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
basilisk101
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Change to Upgrades

Postby basilisk101 » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 19:12

CHERUB wrote:thats 120 dollars a yeaer plus AE upgrade if they do it. thats a lot of money.

wat.

~Time flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana~

Akira wrote:Attention whoring is not technically against the rules. Carry on

Ribbentrop wrote:I'm like five trolls put together to form an ultimate troll Zord!
Spamhead
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: E:3SUM
F:MODS
I:PEACE
Galaxy: Fenix

Postby Spamhead » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 20:16

Commander Cody wrote:I see one major problem with this. This actually encourages script usage. I can easily see Guilds just using a script to still collect the information that they need because it is cheaper. Now one can just buy the upgrade for 4 euros that gives them unlimited bases and structures, and if a Guild is using a script to collect info, just use that instead of the other stuff.

If an AE-run DB is implemented then AE can come down hard on script users because they have a viable alternative.
basilisk101 wrote:
CHERUB wrote:thats 120 dollars a yeaer plus AE upgrade if they do it. thats a lot of money.

wat.

The average DB costs $10-20 per month or is donation run.

basilisk101
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby basilisk101 » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 20:29

I was more questioning the reference to $120 a year as expensive, not the price. I know that price is accurate.

Ribbentrop wrote:I'm like five trolls put together to form an ultimate troll Zord!
Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: E: [SiN]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Cabbage » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 20:38

basilisk101 wrote:I was more questioning the reference to $120 a year as expensive, not the price. I know that price is accurate.

:paranoid:

Unfortunately it isn't accurate.

It costs a lot less per year to maintain a database server.

SpeedySurfer
Banned
Banned
Guild: M: SEXY
N: TIME
Galaxy: Nova

Postby SpeedySurfer » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 20:39

Spamhead wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:I see one major problem with this. This actually encourages script usage. I can easily see Guilds just using a script to still collect the information that they need because it is cheaper. Now one can just buy the upgrade for 4 euros that gives them unlimited bases and structures, and if a Guild is using a script to collect info, just use that instead of the other stuff.

If an AE-run DB is implemented then AE can come down hard on script users because they have a viable alternative.

Problem is, it has to be comparable to the script DBs.

M: SEXY | N: TIME
Spamhead
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: E:3SUM
F:MODS
I:PEACE
Galaxy: Fenix

Postby Spamhead » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 20:41

basilisk101 wrote:I was more questioning the reference to $120 a year as expensive, not the price. I know that price is accurate.

While you may not consider it expensive, it's an extra cost that not many people would want.
SpeedySurfer wrote:
Spamhead wrote:

Problem is, it has to be comparable to the script DBs.

I don't disagree with that at all, which is why I want to see Ribben's implemented.

basilisk101
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby basilisk101 » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 01:00

Yea, now that I reflect on it, that does seem to be a rather silly argument. I just have trouble believing that figure as being unaffordable--My family is on the lower-end of middle class (or the higher end of lower class?) and I only get temporary jobs for a month or two at a time while juggling school and my non-paying role as a volunteer firefighter, and I've never judged that to be expensive.

Still, I was raised to be rather frugal, so my perspective is rather skewed. Anyway, back to the topic at hand :whisle:

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 01:02

How does a change to upgrades encourage script usage?

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Philosopher Cody » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:34

Ribbentrop wrote:

Because right now lots of players do not have to pay for the use of a database. If all of a sudden people will have to pay to use the AE DB, some with see it as too high of a cost. And in order to be competive in the game they will seek other ways to store and configure the information such as in DB script of some sort that will be cheap for them. I do not know if this exists yet or not, but I could easily see someone developing a Database script which exports the info collected on each AE webpage into a Microsoft Excel sheet. Then just share the sheets between people within the Guild. No need to pay for a server or anything. 100% free.

Anytime you have to pay to use a feature, that can be accomplished by script usage, will just mean people resorting back to script usage. That is just my thought.

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:54

Commander Cody wrote:
Ribbentrop wrote:

Because right now lots of players do not have to pay for the use of a database. If all of a sudden people will have to pay to use the AE DB, some with see it as too high of a cost. And in order to be competive in the game they will seek other ways to store and configure the information such as in DB script of some sort that will be cheap for them. I do not know if this exists yet or not, but I could easily see someone developing a Database script which exports the info collected on each AE webpage into a Microsoft Excel sheet. Then just share the sheets between people within the Guild. No need to pay for a server or anything. 100% free.

Anytime you have to pay to use a feature, that can be accomplished by script usage, will just mean people resorting back to script usage. That is just my thought.

Except that people that are already upgraded do not have to pay extra to use an AE-run DB. Also, your problems are more centered upon the existence of a DB itself - discussion of which does not go in this thread.

CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta

Postby CHERUB » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:54

basilisk101 wrote:Yea, now that I reflect on it, that does seem to be a rather silly argument. I just have trouble believing that figure as being unaffordable--My family is on the lower-end of middle class (or the higher end of lower class?) and I only get temporary jobs for a month or two at a time while juggling school and my non-paying role as a volunteer firefighter, and I've never judged that to be expensive.

Still, I was raised to be rather frugal, so my perspective is rather skewed. Anyway, back to the topic at hand :whisle:

120 dolars a year is sorta expensive to me. think of it this way: thats 2 weeks of of food!

or 6 movies (which would last me like 5 months).

or something similar.

hell, its money I dont want to be spending on an ONLINE GAME.

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
striker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby striker » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 04:12

the thing that worries me is this cuts pretty close to the thin line of buying your success. Upgrades should remove some of the repetitive things free accounts have to deal with, and 5database entries an hour.vs.unlimited cuts pretty close to penalizing the free player.

Ask for the broom with the funny name!
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 07:43

An AE database will require significant extra server resources, which means that it absolutely should be a paid feature. If you're on your own or in a small guild, yes, it can be stifling, but having this DB doesn't give you unheard of advantages - particularly when you consider the fact that almost all top guilds already use databases. The split between players doesn't change, which means that it's not buying your way to success - it's only buying your way to legitimacy.

SpeedySurfer
Banned
Banned
Guild: M: SEXY
N: TIME
Galaxy: Nova

Postby SpeedySurfer » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 16:42

I think that the 1-6 month upgrades should have the unlimited database package. Considering you're paying more per month than the 12 month, it's not really fair that you get less.

M: SEXY | N: TIME
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 16:51

Maybe the three month, but I don't think one month should get it. It's just too cheap, and the objective is to get people that are already upgraded from time to time to commit to a longer, steadier upgrade.

Return to “FR Workshop”