Astro Empires Database

This is where the best suggestions are moved to, so discussion can carry on with moderation and be more easily read by the volunteers and development team.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
Opening new topics in this forum is not possible, you may only reply to existing topics.

Only users with 50 or more posts can reply to topics.

This forum is moderated, so any posts will have to be approved by a moderator before being published.
User avatar
Foamy
Banned
Banned
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 17:34
Reputation: 24
Guild: F: [RAVE]
Contact:

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Foamy » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 20:16

-Link- wrote:like a screen capture of some sorts?


Perhaps, a few ways it could probably be done.

Ribbentrop wrote:I'd wear Xaman on my junk any day of the week.


Support the AE banana hammock petition!

Foamy wisdom #17: The Police never think it's as funny as you do.
User avatar
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:59
Reputation: 18
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta
Location: The WorldWide Banana Convention
Contact:

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby CHERUB » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:35

it would work in the same way that passive scrips work for scouting now. and that IS undetectable (or so I believe? correct me if Im wrong on that one).

idk.
Foamy wrote:EDIT: I also don't think the guild-sharing part of the DB should be unlimited, or complete. As a compromise a limit of 2, perhaps 3 guilds, and a reduced visibility of info could be one way to balance the idea out slightly.

I agree with this. perhaps a limit of 2 linked guilds, with a payed option on a third.

3 is the MAX u would ever need, becuase honestly, if ur wanting to link more than that, its both overkill and vastly unfair to the people who dont have the advantage of massive allied guilds that would benefit from access to ur db.

just as a clarification, we r talking about a 2-way exchange here right? like when u link guilds all the info form the 2 guilds gets pooled into 1 array of info?

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
User avatar
Hellion
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 5462
Joined: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 15:11
Reputation: 63

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Hellion » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:03

CHERUB wrote:it would work in the same way that passive scrips work for scouting now. and that IS undetectable (or so I believe? correct me if Im wrong on that one).

idk.
Foamy wrote:EDIT: I also don't think the guild-sharing part of the DB should be unlimited, or complete. As a compromise a limit of 2, perhaps 3 guilds, and a reduced visibility of info could be one way to balance the idea out slightly.

I agree with this. perhaps a limit of 2 linked guilds, with a payed option on a third.

3 is the MAX u would ever need, becuase honestly, if ur wanting to link more than that, its both overkill and vastly unfair to the people who dont have the advantage of massive allied guilds that would benefit from access to ur db.

just as a clarification, we r talking about a 2-way exchange here right? like when u link guilds all the info form the 2 guilds gets pooled into 1 array of info?


Either way with at least 2 guild links it resolves the majority of my problems with the idea. Either your in your primary guild or your in an off guild on missions. Most major ops will usually have you in one of the 2 selected guilds anyways and I have rarely seen to many ops that will push several players in 1 guild then several other players in another guild.

Image
User avatar
Foamy
Banned
Banned
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 17:34
Reputation: 24
Guild: F: [RAVE]
Contact:

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Foamy » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 09:52

CHERUB wrote:just as a clarification, we r talking about a 2-way exchange here right? like when u link guilds all the info form the 2 guilds gets pooled into 1 array of info?

That's the way I see it working best, yeah.

Ribbentrop wrote:I'd wear Xaman on my junk any day of the week.


Support the AE banana hammock petition!

Foamy wisdom #17: The Police never think it's as funny as you do.
User avatar
Universe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1884
Joined: Mon 19 May, 2008 16:11
Reputation: 61

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Universe » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:11

Guilds sharing databases would fall under hard coded politics.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Foamy
Banned
Banned
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 17:34
Reputation: 24
Guild: F: [RAVE]
Contact:

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Foamy » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:21

Universe wrote:Guilds sharing databases would fall under hard coded politics.

Perhaps, but if this AE supported DB were to be introduced, it would not be worth the effort if people were not likely to use it. Currently, legal or not, nearly every major guild has their own DB. An AE supported DB needs to be up to scratch, and offer a similar level of use, or it will simply be ignored. Even more so, should people have to pay extra to receive the benefit of it.

Like it or not, this is something that is already in widespread use.

Ribbentrop wrote:I'd wear Xaman on my junk any day of the week.


Support the AE banana hammock petition!

Foamy wisdom #17: The Police never think it's as funny as you do.
User avatar
actimel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 3026
Joined: Wed 16 Aug, 2006 21:34
Reputation: 13
Guild: X.Org
Galaxy: Alpha
Location: Porto , Portugal

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby actimel » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 17:01

Foamy wrote:
Universe wrote:Guilds sharing databases would fall under hard coded politics.

Perhaps, but if this AE supported DB were to be introduced, it would not be worth the effort if people were not likely to use it. Currently, legal or not, nearly every major guild has their own DB. An AE supported DB needs to be up to scratch, and offer a similar level of use, or it will simply be ignored. Even more so, should people have to pay extra to receive the benefit of it.

Like it or not, this is something that is already in widespread use.


yeap , thats the same argument used for some things that are being introduced and I believe it is a good argument. you see , "illegally" people are already using databases and sharing them between guilds , so to make the game more fair and at the same time more functional .....

I approve this idea

User avatar
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:59
Reputation: 18
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta
Location: The WorldWide Banana Convention
Contact:

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby CHERUB » Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:14

ok maybe Im totally wrong about this, but I find hardcoded politics to be more on the order of influencing political decisions between members. this doesnt really do that. this jsut facilitates info sharing that they can do without getting caught anyway.

seems to me that if u allowed 2 guilds links, that wuld slove most/al of the info related problems with this addition (as said by helion above). Now perhaps u put a limit on these links to make it not blatantly open/slightly candyland? possibly put a 3 week limit on it with a 1 week cooldown cycle (a 1 month over all cycle), for guilds? like u have guild A and B linking, so then db AB goes on for 3 weeks (more than u would ever want for an OP), and then it is automatically de-linked at the end of the 3rd week. during the enxt 7 days u cant link those 2 guild dbs?

idk, its jsut a thought.

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
User avatar
Bones09
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 18:47
Reputation: 58

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Bones09 » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 09:01

I feel each guild should have their own database. If an ally wants to know what the other guild has scouted, they can always hop over and check. But just having a natural legal AE database even its not up to stuff with the illegal ones will still cut down on a lot of cheating since people want to be on the safe side.

And I disagree with members having to buy slots. I just don't understand how the payment method will work. Like normal illegal Dbs where anyone can buy it and let guild members sign up for it? Or will it have to be bought by the GM so he keeps control of permissions for it?

Original creator of the C&S threads

In-Game Name: [Classified]
User avatar
Cowbacca
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 4775
Joined: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 22:18
Reputation: 64
Guild: -
BSMF
AYAYA
DWARF
RAVE
Contact:

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Cowbacca » Sun 02 Jan, 2011 22:11

This idea seems good, but like people such as Kris have stated, full sharing between alliances will happen whether it is an AE implemented function or not. It would be relatively easy to make a script that would compile data from numerous databases and store it in one "super-database".

Ceti: [BSMF]
Delta: ex-[5555]
Epsilon: Ancestor of [DWARF]
Fenix: [RAVE]
Gamma: Founder of [(-o-)]
User avatar
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:59
Reputation: 18
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta
Location: The WorldWide Banana Convention
Contact:

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby CHERUB » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 07:03

If its going to happen anyway, why is it still a concern?

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
User avatar
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 17639
Joined: Tue 24 Mar, 2009 00:44
Reputation: 762
Location: The World Wide Cesspool

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Winchester » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 07:46

CHERUB wrote:If its going to happen anyway, why is it still a concern?


More or less this. Anytime that someone thinks of an advantage that AE cannot realistically give, they'll find a way to turn that into a third party feature. With this DB, anyone that wants to be legitimate can do so, while the cheaters will keep cheating. Yes, it will be a bit harder to locate cheaters that only use databases, but so be it. This idea isn't strictly meant to reduce cheating, so if we can get a beneficial feature that actually does something worth doing, and put it in the hands of honest players to give them an advantage that is at least approaching equal with the cheaters, then it's worth it.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
User avatar
Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 8844
Joined: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 17:14
Reputation: 66
Guild: E: [SiN]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Cabbage » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 11:50

Ribbentrop wrote:
CHERUB wrote:If its going to happen anyway, why is it still a concern?


More or less this. Anytime that someone thinks of an advantage that AE cannot realistically give, they'll find a way to turn that into a third party feature. With this DB, anyone that wants to be legitimate can do so, while the cheaters will keep cheating. Yes, it will be a bit harder to locate cheaters that only use databases, but so be it. This idea isn't strictly meant to reduce cheating, so if we can get a beneficial feature that actually does something worth doing, and put it in the hands of honest players to give them an advantage that is at least approaching equal with the cheaters, then it's worth it.


To some extent, I agree with you Ribben. This feature reduces the gap between honest and legitimate players but as you said, cheaters are going to cheat.

I do wish a lot of the features, that we have been long awaiting, be implemented already.

bizmiard
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 23:55
Reputation: 1

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby bizmiard » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:31

I feel I should point out... if you make each individual player pay for this tool, the players who don't have it will just ask those who do to search for them. And in any decent sized guild, there will always be those online and willing to do it. So the way I see it the only option would be to do a guild-wide payment... just my thoughts on the matter though

ahhh... we meet again..
User avatar
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 17639
Joined: Tue 24 Mar, 2009 00:44
Reputation: 762
Location: The World Wide Cesspool

Re: Astro Empires Database

Postby Winchester » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 22:26

bizmiard wrote:I feel I should point out... if you make each individual player pay for this tool, the players who don't have it will just ask those who do to search for them. And in any decent sized guild, there will always be those online and willing to do it. So the way I see it the only option would be to do a guild-wide payment... just my thoughts on the matter though


Except that charging on a guild basis creates multiple issues, such as database-service guilds, what to do when you make temp guilds for ops, what happens when a guild disbands, how you balance it for a guild of 250 players without making it overpriced for a guild of 10 players, etc. Unless the cost is exorbitantly high - which has its own issues - you're not going to make nearly as much money doing it on a guild basis. Yes, there will always be people mooching, but that's also why there are two types of DB access; there will inevitably be enough people wanting full DB access themselves, without having to do all the work for everyone else, that you'll make far more than a guild cost ever would.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."

Return to “FR Workshop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest