Evergreen State College Insanity

Use this forum to discuss subjects other than Astro Empires.

Moderator: Sobek

Canaris
Role-Play Moderator

Evergreen State College Insanity

Postby Canaris » Sat 27 May, 2017 02:02

I've quoted the first article I saw on this topic but have included many sources from a rainbow of outlets:

The Washington Times wrote:Biology professor Bret Weinstein was berated by dozens of students outside of his classroom Tuesday morning for refusing to participate in an event in which white people were invited to leave campus for a day. Now, he says police have told him to hold his classes off campus due to safety concerns.

Mr. Weinstein was confronted outside of his classroom Tuesday morning by dozens of students who demanded he apologize or resign for writing an allegedly racist email.

His email took issue with a “Day of Absence & Day of Presence” demonstration, for which white students, faculty and staff were asked to leave campus for one day. He wrote: “On a college campus, one’s right to speak — or to be — should never be based on skin color.”

A video of the confrontation, captured by Mr. Vincent, shows Mr. Weinstein attempting to reason with dozens of students who routinely shout him down, curse at him and demand his resignation.

“The students, fearful for their lives, began retreating towards the library and ultimately ended up in the Trans & Queer Center/Unity Lounge, trying to stay safe,” Mr. Vincent said in a Facebook post Tuesday. “The white students were then delegated to spread out throughout the library floor and watch for police potentially surrounding the building.”

Mr. Bridges promised, per the demands, to institute a new student conduct code, to improve the quality of faculty evaluations and to enact an annual sensitivity training for all faculty, staff and police that emphasizes the eradication of anti-black racism.

Fearful for their lives? The campus police aren't even allowed to confront them.

I can't be the only one who thinks this is getting ridiculous. It's like inmates running the asylum. The students are dictating how their own education - and that of other, paying students - will take place.

This would be all well and good if there was some kind of quantifiable injustice. But a single line from an e-mail that's about as color blind as can be? No way. Regardless, their demands for segregation also amuse me. For those that may not know, this sort of thing is becoming more common in higher education in the US.

From lists of words people aren't allowed to use to segregated courses, it's all just madness to me and as an (admittedly small) employer, makes me wonder why I would ever want to hire someone with degrees from these schools.

Sources:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dents.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -resign-f/
http://www.mediaite.com/online/professo ... is-racism/
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05/2 ... ff-campus/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... ashington/

Frederic Chopin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Evergreen State College Insanity

Postby Frederic Chopin » Sat 27 May, 2017 05:10

Those students should be expelled.

Logans Run
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [QSS]
Quantum Solo Sanity

Postby Logans Run » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 04:23

Liberalism is a disease. Duhh..

Stuck in a Quantum reality
Whis
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Postby Whis » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 13:41

Liberalism is simply the desire to not take responsibility for your own actions/decisions.

Bionic redhead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: A14
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Bionic redhead » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 18:22

Pretend I'm also attacking a political belief rather than the actions of the people involved. Erm, liberalism grrr ... or something.

Logans Run
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Quantum Solo Sanity

Postby Logans Run » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:46

Bionic redhead wrote:Pretend I'm also attacking a political belief rather than the actions of the people involved. Erm, liberalism grrr ... or something.

Dude...what ARE you saying? Cus i guarantee you that every one of those *beep* ers that wanted a non-white day...was a libtard.

Bionic redhead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: A14
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Bionic redhead » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 09:20

Logans Run wrote:
Bionic redhead wrote:Pretend I'm also attacking a political belief rather than the actions of the people involved. Erm, liberalism grrr ... or something.

Dude...what ARE you saying? Cus i guarantee you that every one of those *beep* ers that wanted a non-white day...was a libtard.

Not denying that, just think it's a bit daft to denigrate an entire political belief over the actions of some of its dumbest believers.

Canaris
Role-Play Moderator

Postby Canaris » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 19:31

Yeah, this sort of stupidity isn't necessarily exclusive to the 'left'.

Logans Run
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Quantum Solo Sanity

Postby Logans Run » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:05

Bionic redhead wrote:
Logans Run wrote:

Not denying that, just think it's a bit daft to denigrate an entire political belief over the actions of some of its dumbest believers.

The whole problem is..they are contagious. Poisoning other's minds. Professors encouraging them..brainwashed. spoon-fed thier mind control MSLSD products.

..Kennedy would never be a democrat in todays nut-job left. They would think him "too conservative."

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:28

If caring about individuals, humanity, ethics, science, and the like is contagious, then bring on the plague rats.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
Canaris
Role-Play Moderator

Postby Canaris » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 05:41

Winchester wrote:If caring about individuals, humanity, ethics, science, and the like is contagious, then bring on the plague rats.

Both 'sides' can claim they care about individuals, humanity, ethics, and science. We can cherry pick examples of evil on both sides all day: from the corruption racket of welfare to the atrocity of state genocide. The fact of the matter is that the common people within a select society only tend to be separated by a few degrees in ideology. So I try not to look at these things from the lens of 'left vs right' or 'conservative vs liberal'.

I believe there are two threats to humanity today: the people who deny climate change and the people who push for equality of outcome. Which is the bigger threat? I don't know. Both, in my opinion, transcend party lines. However, what are we doing about global warming? The Paris Agreement? Toothless and wasteful but it was a first and that makes it a net positive, right? Even if it would cost millions of jobs and shrink the GDPs of the west by a quarter? It would inflate the GDPs of the third world so that's good.

That's really where the two issues meet: identity politics. Imagineering conflict and pretending to do something about it are pretty potent drugs I guess.

Instead of any real action, Australian officials changed crossing lights to be less sexist. Instead of any real action, the German government is distributing literature about how not to get raped by migrants. Instead of any real action, legislators in Alberta, Canada are trying to ban words from their legal code and schools. Instead of any real action, 148 countries come together and agree to do less to fight climate change (that's right, it will be less effective than the previous emissions targets proposed by the UNFCCC) and redistribute more wealth to the third world.

There is a difference between showing we care and doing something about it and I don't see a lot of action when it comes to identity politics. There is a lot of sweeping humanity and ethics under the rug and weaponizing class and science in academia and legislation. If history has shown us anything, appeasement does not work. Ne'er-do-wells will push boundaries until they get through and then snowball right over everything. Being passively idealistic and seeking ultimate nirvana through altruism will only lead to ennui.

Unless you're suggesting that the crybullies that effectively held Evergreen hostage and then played victim are in the right? Because that wasn't an isolated incident of radical leftism. That is a culture growing in colleges and universities in the west and they are our future leaders. They don't care about ethics or science, at the very least, and I'm doubtful how much they care about humanity or individuals (aside from themselves).

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 05:46

Reading too much into it, Canaris. That was a quip directed at Logan's little attack on liberalism. While I'm aware that both sides can claim to care about those things, from where I'm standing, liberalism is the philosophy that puts those values at the greater forefront. Both sides have tremendous issues in practice, but conservatism in the the US seems far more interested in personal wealth and power than anything else. I'm still pretty confused about the whole Evergreen thing, and don't know enough about the facts to make a reasoned evaluation.

Canaris
Role-Play Moderator

Postby Canaris » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 06:04

I was bored. And I'm pretty frustrated in general.

Liberalism is the ideal philosophy from my perspective, too but those in power are not liberals and if they claim to be, surely they are doing liberalism a disservice. I mean growing the government and welfare state don't seem to be terribly humanitarian or liberal things to do. Liberals are supposed to foster freedom of speech and open markets but I don't see a lot of that being pushed.

Logans Run
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Quantum Solo Sanity

Postby Logans Run » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:05

Winchester wrote:... Both sides have tremendous issues in practice, but conservatism in the the US seems far more interested in personal wealth and power than anything else.

*coughClintons* ..and a thousand other examples.
I never said you all purposefully dont care for humans.
But then greatest atrocity your side has done was to give handouts at every turn. Destroying American pride in working for what you earned.

In my opinion..we care more. Only for real..not votes.

P.S. about climate change? Sensor temp bouys(sp?) Have been tampered with in the past to manipulate temperature readings. (To fit an agenda..)
Im on the fence on climate change. Imo..the air kicks *beep* compared to the late 70s-mid 80s.
Everytime i went to L.A. my eyes stinged. Now..not so much..ever..

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:48

If you want to argue conservatism v. liberalism by focusing on individuals, then bring it on. Also, I would argue that, barring the outright corrupt - and I'm pretty willing to agree that most US presidents have been corrupt, on both sides of the aisle - the flaws of the left tend to be more because of misguided people. Conversely, the flaws on the right are far more blatantly intentional in going against any genuine positive interests. The same side that values human life by opposing abortion and assisted suicide is also the side that supports capital punishment, militarism, imperialism, and refuses to give any sort of medical, financial, or other support to the same children that they want to prevent being aborted.

What you see as a handout I see as the fundamental purpose of government - the only reason it causes problems is because the right is propelling base capitalism, which frankly encourages the abuse of a system where something is provided as of right. If we move away from capitalism, we can begin reducing personal greed and encouraging productivity as a simple matter of life in a modern society.

I'm also not going to debate you about climate change. You can always find studies that slant things, but that doesn't change the overwhelming evidence that it's an actual thing. I also really don't understand the objection to climate change; even if we pretend it isn't a real thing, so what? It's encouraging the use of renewable energy sources. This planet has finite resources, and I'm all for encouraging ways to free ourselves from the tyranny of burning natural resources. It also provides us the room to begin moving the Middle East into the twenty-first century, as we'll be less concerned with pissing them off.

Return to “Off Game”