The Nerd Network

Use this forum to discuss subjects other than Astro Empires.
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Nerd Network

Postby Logans Run » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 06:09

This is stuff not from me that a few might find interesting. So from now on when my nerd friend sends me stuffff, i blast here. Usually its a wall of text so..too fn bad.
Dont like it, turn the channel.

On the news the other day (even the clinton news network had it) they told a story of two stars colliding. Here are the details.

Witnessed by over 60 observatories as well as 2 gravity wave detectors.
And yes I did mention it to you several times like a count down clock without an actual stop time known.

Measurements of the light from each stars spectrum showed that Gold wasn't in abundance but the light spectrum now reveals that its there and in abundance for a star so either it was churned up from the cores or was formed from the pressures of the collisions.

The 2 suns were 130 light years away so yes very close.
Each was about 1/2 the mass of our sun.
Both were neutron stars about 20km across.

We will have to wait to see if they merged forming a bigger combined sun or ripped themselves apart.
The gravity waves simply stopped and the light released wasn't a huge flash as would be expected from suns being ripped apart.
Think of it like an explosion and then waiting for the dust to settle to see whats left behind.

A lot has been learned so far and there's lots more to come so I'll keep you informed.
The most interesting thing is the gravitational waves stopped and 11hrs later light from the collision was witnessed.
Its assumed that gravity and light move at the same speed so either this is wrong or it took light that much longer to escape the gravity well.
This is the 5th time gravity waves have been detected and the first time other observatories have also seen it so we will probably have to wait for a few more witnessed detection's before we know for sure.

Don't forget where detecting the light from a rising fireball 120 light years away so it may have needed that long to grow big enough to be detected.
A nebula could take days or weeks to be seen and would also be a first that its the very first time one has been seen from the set go as cameras are hours to days later so what we are seeing could be standard.

We now know for sure Gama ray bursts are caused when 2 neutron stars collide and from the number that are detected and our knowledge of how spaced out the universe is we have a fairly good idea just how many neutron stars there are out there, something we had only been able to guesstimate.

I'm going over some of the data now as well as bleary pictures

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Nerd Network

Postby Logans Run » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 06:13

Part 2 -.-

The light spectrum has reveled that the glow is mostly gold with an average temperature around 6,000 degrees Celsius.
Just imagine an expanding gas cloud glowing with gold so hot its a gas that will gather and collect to form lumps of gold.
At 130 light years away that's a lot of gold just to be seen.

Here's the catch why is there so much gold and little other heavy elements?
Its expected to be glowing for at least 4 days after that it will cool and expand out far enough that we can't resolve it.

It is hoped as the expanding gas cloud cools that movement may be measured which will indicate if or what is left of the cores.
The gama ray burst lasted just over 2 seconds showing a slow merger of he two neutron stars but we will have to wait a few weeks for things to clear for observations to reveal what has happened exactly.
But based on the size of the gamma ray burst its estimated that the merger cast off 30% of the combined mass of the neutron stars.

Its going to be awhile to collate all the data gathered.
The tracking station in Narrabri NSW Australia was the first to pick up the radio signal from the collision and Parks radio dish was the second so with these measurements an exact pinpoint can be made.

And over the next few weeks with lensing effects the most accurate measurement yet of the expansion of the universe can be made.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
atom man
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby atom man » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 07:44

Thanks for reversing some of my cancer.

even waited to start till i had more of the story mapped out.
I follow the rules, if we rule. sorry been busy compiling data, for a popular game clone, like 2006 to 2008 AE style patches and bug fixes, but not the AE clone. :think: :paranoid: :shifty: 2002
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 05:18

''Well there was some space news but I'm checking the accuracy.
If its true the US yesterday launched a weapons platform to assist in restricting sub orbital missile passage.
And if it has happened prepare for one hell of an arms race in space.

2 super novas were detected last week just minutes apart with the second being caused by the compression wave from ejected material from the first.
By the timing the second sun had to be a little closer than the earth is to our sun.
And both suns by the energy released had to be 50 and 60 respective solar masses.
Were safe their so far away that the light has red shifted beyond the visible spectrum making them possible candidates for the furthest super nova detected.''

''Yea not the furthest supernova but very close to the distance.
Its so far back into the early universe that the biggest suns shouldn't be 50 and 60 solar masses or even more incredible that both of those large suns were in the same solar system which means they had to be competing for food which is probably why the smaller one exploded first.

The best estimated guess as to what happened the bigger sun was sucking the outer layers of the smaller sun away like a vampire feeding on its smaller rival.
This resulted is less mass pushing in so the inner solar surface expanded outwards reducing pressure on the core and this resulted in the fusion furnace at the inner core of the sun being interrupted which turned the fusion off.

Without the inner forces pushing out the gravity pulled the outer surfaces in resulting in an internal collapse with the pressure reigniting the fusion process which countered the inrush of mass but it coughed as fuel was reduced and the collapse inwards continued building pressures until critical mass was reached and the sun exploded.

The shock wave from the supernova would have ripped the second sun apart and as its outer layers were ripped away the inner forces exploded out resulting in a second supernova.

By the evidence of how much energy was in the explosions it would have been an extinction event for any planets within 1,500 light years.

Now our favorite sun Betelgeuse waiting to go supernova is a lot bigger than the sum of those 2 suns.
So there are more than a few cosmologists that think the earth could be too close for comfort.

But the math for such a double explosion was worked out for the Manhattan project.
A multi stage atomic bomb uses the energy and forces from the earlier explosion to trigger the second chamber.
The most powerful bomb ever built was designed to have a 5 chamber explosion but the scientists limited it to only 3 and started with 1/6th the fissionable material as used for the Hiroshima blast, in other words it was way more efficient and leveraged its explosive force up with each detonation.
Good thing it was limited to only 3 chambers because its flash was seen 1,800km away.

I'm of the opinion that a single blast from Betelgeuse won't be a major threat to life on earth.
But after last weeks supernovas there are a few having a rethink.
And better technologies has aided us in better measurements so we need time to calibrate known data to determine the risk.''

-End Transmission. Nerd Network.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
ViG90
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: SHLD
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby ViG90 » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:07

/requestmovetoroleplay

~diplo of SHLD~
Uncle Ben wrote:ViG90. Notorious conversation killer since 1981.
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 07:22

ViG90 wrote:/requestmovetoroleplay

Wut..Because im living vicariously thru my way smarter friend?
Yeah, I can see the request.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 23:07

Actually a pretty good story imo.

tl;dr - well wtf are you doing here then?

I am reading a book Stephen Hawking sent to me about an Irish man who was send to Australia in the second fleet.
I have read the first half had to put it down its so sad.

His father is killed by a run away horse that got spooked when he was 8.
From that day he worked both his job and his fathers.
When he was 10 they land, they worked which was owned by the crown was placed into the care of the Catholic church due to the governance of the crown being so far away and now the Catholic Church was to collect tines (this is a tax based on land worked).

The taxes collected doubled and then some, the crown got their usual payment and the Catholic church got as much again but the land his father had signed for was 20 acres of which only 8 was workable and on that 8acres 20 families depended for food and a split share of excess profits, yea the tine had to be paid twice and then was recalculated from 8 acres to 20 and then after the 20 families who depended on that land raised the money the Catholic church added that it had been 21 years since his father had signed for the land OUCH.

Anyway a protest starts and he goes to the church to try and get everyone to go home and he will talk and come to an arrangement and a fight breaks out and his mother is knocked to the ground and during the night dies.
The next day he goes to the church and talks for hours and then is offered a payment arrangement of double tine for the next 25yrs.

Not long after his 12th birthday the potato famine starts and in the small village most crops fail but theirs didn't and he tried to sell for enough to release them of the double tine for the remaining 23yrs only to have the Catholic church step in and take without payment the potatoes to feed the hungry people and if that wasn't bad enough they were expected to pay all tine's due.
He went up to the church to talk and was turned away by a strangers voice so he returned home and the next day the discovery is made of everyone in the church being killed.

No he didn't do it but not having a time piece could not say what time he was there and being alone he didn't have evidence he even visited, the culprits were captured and tossed from a cliff after Mass a week later but the young man was given 12 months in prison because he could not put an exact time to his whereabouts.

While in prison he learned to read and write thanks to a Dr who had been imprisoned for treating a patient who was not a Catholic before a Catholic patient.
When he returned home the house had been burned and his relatives had run off with what they could and abandoned the land.

He's 13 there's no work back taxes to pay and most in town are dead or very sick, there were dead people in yards not moved because of fear and for a year he had learned to read and write from 2 books the bible by day and a medical history by night when the guards weren't looking.
Anyway he does what he can for he sick and he has the dead removed and burned to prevent the spread of disease.

Several months after cleaning the town up someone comes to visit a family member to find out they had died and the horror their lifeless body is burned and they point out that the scripture says burning is wrong so back to prison he goes, and while there he again does what he can to treat the sick and when his case comes before a judge the judge says hang him and the prison warden speaks up and says he will buy his services as hes a good Dr.

4 years later he's approaching 18yrs of age and the prison warden collapses and he is called upon to treat him and as its lock up time he is locked in with the warden, in the morning he is both found missing from his cell and found with the warden who has passed away through the night.
That's the first half and its based upon a true story because he ends up being sent to Australia where he builds the first permanent hospital.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:03

Space News yah \o/
I'm sure you were all waiting on pins n needles..

"A Neutron star about 4 miles wide has been found 51,000 light years away.
We know how big it is because its stripping a companion star of its surface and as the material gets pulled down onto its surface it heats up and is radiating so much energy that the material falling down is producing more electromagnetic radiation than the entire neutron star its falling onto.

The star being slowly ripped apart is 33-37 times the mass of our sun.
From its trajectory the mass of the neutron star has been calculated to 180-220 times our suns mass.
Now here's the catch at 4 miles wide its not big enough to exist with so much mass and should have collapsed in on its self long ago.

OK either the measurements are wrong or the implosion limit is wrong.
The data was sent to me because my black hole work has disagreed with the present implosion limits.
No matter how we crunch the numbers we just can't get the density great enough to maintain the implosion.
Simply put as pressure builds like the camel with the final straw and it goes down which releases energy the reduction of that energy reduces the mass which reduces the pressure on the back of the camel resulting in a camel doing nothing more than stumbling under the weight.

Interesting though learning that we can now measure something 4 miles wide that's 51,000 light years away.
The same series of radio dishes failed to find anything in the middle of our galaxy where there should be a black hole with a mass over 4,000,000 times our sun.
The center of our galaxy is only half the distance to that neutron star in fact its on the far side of the galaxy and was observed using the Gravitational lensing from the black hole in the center of the galaxy.

Yea really weird not being able to observe something but using it to improve observations of things much smaller twice as far away."

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:11

Nerd Network might be closing soon. Not cus of lack of input, i get that part. Just may take a hiatus soon. Anyways..
So i said
I posted your space news in nerd network. I bet some like reading..they just are not knowledgeable enough to contribute.

I found it interesting. We really cant detect our own black hole? I mean..nothing?
Perhaps all signals sent get sucked in? Lol..no im being serious here. :p

Noob serious but still.
Returned
Oh we can detect it or more correctly it’s effects but we can’t even map its shape.
It’s like seeing people falling over a cliff but you can’t see them fall once out of sight or see them at the bottom.
There isn’t even a ping or release of energy and we can’t even see matter heating up on approach just warmed up gas clouds hardly moving and yes they allowed for time slowing even though from our perspective it’s not slowing.

The latest scan of the region was done with 22 radio dishes linked together from around the earth, all the way from northern Russia where any further north would have put Antarctica out and the US and several in Europe and southern / west Africa.

Now combined they should have found a tennis ball radiating about as much energy as a mobile phone.
True they swept through the middle and are widening over the next 6 months then will sweep back over 6 months and see what the differences reveal.

Almost twice the distance away almost directly on the far side of Galaxy they found 2 neutron stars with the smaller width. A diameter just 4 miles wide yet the bigger neutron Star is orbiting it every 21 hours so there must be something we don’t yet know about matter compression.

Sometimes the best discoveries happen by accident.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
ViG90
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby ViG90 » Thu 04 Jan, 2018 12:41

no nerd network welcome 2018 post.. :nonono

~diplo of SHLD~
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 03:27

ViG90 wrote:no nerd network welcome 2018 post.. :nonono

Uncle Ben wrote:
ViG90. Notorious conversation killer since 1981

You killed it now.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
Uncle Ben
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: Derbhoes!
Galaxy: Andromeda

Postby Uncle Ben » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 04:51

awww

I've personally accomplished the spaying of TWO mods who tried to mess with my TT. ANY MORE CANDIDATES!?
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 05:22

Uncle Ben wrote:awww

Im kidding. I walked away from all servers dec 29th or 30th.
Even from quantum where my good friend Mr. Smartypants plays. Taking a long break.
Thou..if my friend who took my kepler account doesn't change my name soon like she said she would, i'll have to flame her.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality
ViG90
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby ViG90 » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 07:44

Logans Run wrote:
ViG90 wrote:no nerd network welcome 2018 post.. :nonono

Uncle Ben wrote:
ViG90. Notorious conversation killer since 1981

You killed it now.

ohh this thread was dead before i ever posted in it butt nice try :D

~diplo of SHLD~
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 08:12

It was never about getting ppl to contribute. This kind of talk is over everyone's head mostly. Including mine.
It's just stuff about space. Everyone loves to hear about that i think. Dont you watch the Nova shows? :P

Anyways, its over now.

Retired..sorta
Chasing reality

Return to “Off Game”