Off Game Book Club

Use this forum to discuss subjects other than Astro Empires.
Mattzo
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: -Min-
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Off Game Book Club

Postby Mattzo » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 13:09

For all its flaws I'll have to recommend Wheel of Time. Grover may not have got into it, but I most certainly did. With something like 3,000,000 words its certainly 'longish' :P

The Mageborn series is enjoyable, and by the end of the series is most definitely not your standard boy-turned-hero story.

Have you read any Joe Abercrombie? You may find him an interesting read.

Tyrant. You're not supposed to pay so much attention to Bruskie's morale ambivalence... you are supposed to be the grounded one!
Tasman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tasman » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 03:43

If you like epic battles (fantasy or science-fiction) I would recommend John Ringo.
He has a longish series called the Posleen Wars Series.
A trilogy called the Troy Rising Series.

He also has a techno thriller series: Paladin of Shadows Series.

You can also try S.M. Stirling.
he has a really long winded series (Kinda medieval setting, but with a twist) called THe Novels of the Change.

And I Haven't got the faintest idea about what I'm talking about.
JigokuShoujo
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: A: Ni/MIN
O:ADHD/OFATE
Andro: MJ

Postby JigokuShoujo » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 03:09

here are some really good books i have read. anyone might like at least one of them.

robert anton wilson - prometheus rising non-fic
peter hamilton - the reality dysfunction trilogy (six books?? yup six THICK books) hard sf
the art of war - sun tzu non-fic
the ghost brigades - john scalzi sf
sharpe series - bernard cornwell hist-fic
shoninki - masazumi non-fic
star guard - andre norton sf
mona lisa overdrive, virtual light, count zero, idoru, etc.... - william gibson sf-cyberpunk
in the beginning was the command line - neal stephenson non-fic
the time quartet/quintet series - madeleine l'engle sf
all the emily strange books non-fic
expect resistance - crimethinc field manual
sway - ori and rom brafman non-fic
the myth of mental illness - thomas s. szasz non-fic
the horus heresy series - various authors warhammer 40k
kris longknife series - mike shepherd sf

You make me violate you, no matter who you are!
Alpha and Omega. when in doubt i blame Grover.
JokeySmurf wrote:you guys i have a feeling you are not going to win against this one. Jig seems, Determined.
Conri
Guild: C-EAA-Ret.
K-WOLF-Ret.
And-Sith

Postby Conri » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 22:19

Personally I'm an Honorverse Fan. SciFi Military written by David Weber.

Also a few Elisabeth Moon Series:
Vatta's War 5 book series
And
The Serrano Legacy series

Then there is the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green.

JigokuShoujo
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby JigokuShoujo » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 23:51

oh, i mean to post elizabeth moon. not list honor everyone already love for sure, yes?

JokeySmurf wrote:you guys i have a feeling you are not going to win against this one. Jig seems, Determined.
Tasman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tasman » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 07:08

Conri wrote:Personally I'm an Honorverse Fan. SciFi Military written by David Weber.

And

David Weber has some good stuff. I never got a chance to get into the honorverse series, but I will at some point.
Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's war series was pretty good.

You should try the Bolo compilation. I think David Weber co-authored one, as well as Tom Kraatman, John Ringo and Eric Flint. (I may be mixing up some names here, don't hold me to it.)

And I Haven't got the faintest idea about what I'm talking about.
Conri
Guild: C-EAA-Ret.
K-WOLF-Ret.
And-Sith

Postby Conri » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 19:28

Tasman wrote:
Conri wrote:Personally I'm an Honorverse Fan. SciFi Military written by David Weber.

And

David Weber has some good stuff. I never got a chance to get into the honorverse series, but I will at some point.

You should try the Bolo compilation. I think David Weber co-authored one, as well as Tom Kraatman, John Ringo and Eric Flint. (I may be mixing up some names here, don't hold me to it.)
I have read a few of them but it is hard to find them in books stores (without having them order them in). I plan on ordering as many bolo books as I can when I have the money ^.^

JigokuShoujo
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby JigokuShoujo » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 01:32

Conri wrote:
Tasman wrote:

And

I have read a few of them but it is hard to find them in books stores (without having them order them in). I plan on ordering as many bolo books as I can when I have the money ^.^
public library has or can get on I.L.L. any book. no charge!!

Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Nagel » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 18:46

Finally read Ender's Game....... was awesome. I don't remember reading a book that quick before!

SHLD GM
Qµeen Bruskie wrote:I was hoping you'd have enough sense to not be a retard. Too much credit I suppose.
Frederic Chopin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Frederic Chopin » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 22:12

Nagel wrote:Finally read Ender's Game....... was awesome. I don't remember reading a book that quick before!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game_(series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)#Novels_in_the_series

If you enjoyed Ender's game, consider reading the rest of the series. I have, and it was definitely worth it. The first three books--Earth Unaware/Afire/Awakens--were only recently published, and the next 3 are TBA, so I would recommend reading those last.

It is probably my favorite series. Card might be a racist but he writes damn good novels. The rest of these books are going to fly by just as fast as Ender's game. Satisfaction guaranteed.

JigokuShoujo
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby JigokuShoujo » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 04:46

Frederic Chopin wrote:
Nagel wrote:Finally read Ender's Game....... was awesome. I don't remember reading a book that quick before!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game_(series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)#Novels_in_the_series

If you enjoyed Ender's game, consider reading the rest of the series. I have, and it was definitely worth it. The first three books--Earth Unaware/Afire/Awakens--were only recently published, and the next 3 are TBA, so I would recommend reading those last.

It is probably my favorite series. Card might be a racist but he writes damn good novels. The rest of these books are going to fly by just as fast as Ender's game. Satisfaction guaranteed.
lolwhat? your link = The page "Ender's Game (series" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.
For search help, please visit Help:Searching.

try my link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_ ... 8series%29

Frederic Chopin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Frederic Chopin » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 22:24

JigokuShoujo wrote:
Frederic Chopin wrote:

lolwhat? your link = The page "Ender's Game (series" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.
For search help, please visit Help:Searching.

try my link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_ ... 8series%29
The forums broke my link. The #Novels_in_the_series is supposed to be a part of the link--deductive reasoning would have told you that.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 23:58

Frederic Chopin wrote:The forums broke my link. The #Novels_in_the_series is supposed to be a part of the link--deductive reasoning would have told you that.
If your link is long or contains parentheses, you should manually linkify it with URL tags, not rely on the forums to understand the gobbledygook you are handing it.

JigokuShoujo
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby JigokuShoujo » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 17:56

Frederic Chopin wrote:The forums broke my link. The #Novels_in_the_series is supposed to be a part of the link--deductive reasoning would have told you that.
qiut pretending you understand that stuff.

Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Nagel » Sun 22 Mar, 2015 20:37

Mattzo wrote:For all its flaws I'll have to recommend Wheel of Time. Grover may not have got into it, but I most certainly did. With something like 3,000,000 words its certainly 'longish' :P

The Mageborn series is enjoyable, and by the end of the series is most definitely not your standard boy-turned-hero story.

Have you read any Joe Abercrombie? You may find him an interesting read.
After many people suggesting it, and against my best judgement, I have taken Mattzo's advice.

I have started WoT, I am onto the 3rd book in the series, though I cheated a bit and read 'New Spring' first which I suppose technically is the correct order.

My thoughts so far is that it is excellently written, but it filled with quite a lot of filler and stalling. Some of the stuff that is to come has so far being pretty easy to predict, but there is more than enough surprises. Hopefully it doesn't go all GoT's and have an entire book of filler drivel that I will have to crawl through, but unless the 14 books cover multiple ages then I fear that is going to be the case.

SHLD GM
Qµeen Bruskie wrote:I was hoping you'd have enough sense to not be a retard. Too much credit I suppose.

Return to “Off Game”