Off Game Book Club

Use this forum to discuss subjects other than Astro Empires.
Sammael
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Off Game Book Club

Postby Sammael » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 21:54

Finally got my copy of the book this morning, status: owns

Mattzo
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: -Min-
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Mattzo » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 01:01

Just finished a Memory of Light.

Burn me.

Tyrant. You're not supposed to pay so much attention to Bruskie's morale ambivalence... you are supposed to be the grounded one!
Space Gein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Space Gein » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 06:12

Desmond Cheese wrote:Im studying the history of the future. Basically how people in the past thought of the future.

I have a question what books should i analise to see this?

I have the obvious ones:

Brave New World
1984 (Orwell)
Hitchikers series

Any others that i should read?
Distopian lit and general sci fi? add Logan's Run and read into The RPG's Paranoia and Shadowrun. On a very different note read some Warhammer 40k fiction particularly the Horus Heresy series because it sets the history of the setting and you get to partially see where everything started going wrong. (if your not familiar with the setting I'd do some general research on it before jumping in though) I haven't personally read it but I have a few friends that rant about Snow Crash too. Starship Troopers would fit what your looking for too though I myself wasn't a big fan.

liam777 wrote: rib do you believe in odin?
Desmond Cheese
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: J - TRO

N - {SS}
Galaxy: Nova

Postby Desmond Cheese » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 10:49

Space Gein wrote:
Desmond Cheese wrote:Im studying the history of the future. Basically how people in the past thought of the future.

I have a question what books should i analise to see this?

I have the obvious ones:

Brave New World
1984 (Orwell)
Hitchikers series

Any others that i should read?
Distopian lit and general sci fi? add Logan's Run and read into The RPG's Paranoia and Shadowrun. On a very different note read some Warhammer 40k fiction particularly the Horus Heresy series because it sets the history of the setting and you get to partially see where everything started going wrong. (if your not familiar with the setting I'd do some general research on it before jumping in though) I haven't personally read it but I have a few friends that rant about Snow Crash too. Starship Troopers would fit what your looking for too though I myself wasn't a big fan.
cheers mate,

Then by that thought could studying the star wars comics series (ive read them all anyway) be considered how people think of the future or no cause its just so absurd with highly impossible things?

Klargox wrote: a death star has 60 shielding, not even a billion heavy cruisers could destroy it because of it's shield.
Space Gein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Space Gein » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 19:37

Hitch Hiker's guide is about as impossible as it gets which you have on your list so yes I'd say so under your terms. Star Wars or just about anything else is more believable than it. Plus Hitchhiker's guide probably shouldn't be on there anyway because it isn't about a view of the future really, it's about one poor *beep* in the relative present that the universe pretty much hates.

Desmond Cheese
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: J - TRO

N - {SS}
Galaxy: Nova

Postby Desmond Cheese » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 20:04

Space Gein wrote:Hitch Hiker's guide is about as impossible as it gets which you have on your list so yes I'd say so under your terms. Star Wars or just about anything else is more believable than it. Plus Hitchhiker's guide probably shouldn't be on there anyway because it isn't about a view of the future really, it's about one poor *beep* in the relative present that the universe pretty much hates.
You're completely right, I see, well now i have to consider what I know of the course, cheers for the help

Klargox wrote: a death star has 60 shielding, not even a billion heavy cruisers could destroy it because of it's shield.
darkone264
Guild: Dojo
Galaxy: Ceti

Postby darkone264 » Wed 16 Jan, 2013 23:24

finished A Memory of light about an hour ago I'm still crying a bit, I would love to discuss the last book with some one perhaps in pm.

fendelius
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fendelius » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 00:49

So you are saying the last robert jordan book int he wheel of time series is out? Because i thought they divided that book into two parts and they only published the first one not the second one. Since the author doing it realizes once they publish the last book no one will want to read the rest of the drivel he writes in his own sci fi series.

The wolf that one hears is worse than the orc that one fears....ha ha
Sammael
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Sammael » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:04

Fendelius, you're an idiot.

Space Gein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Space Gein » Fri 18 Jan, 2013 05:38

After a 7ish year break from the series I just finished The Gathering Storm. Despite my many issues with earlier books in the series I am chomping at the bit to finish the series now. May Robert Jordan rest in peace but Sanderson is probably the better writer though I don't know the Jordan's notes vs. Sanderson ratio. I could go on about my favorite bits but a few of you haven't read them so I will restrain myself and start reading Towers of Midnight tonight. I hope that A Memory of Light comes out in paperback soon because I'm not shelling out $30ish for it or wait for an unclaimed copy at the library.

fendelius
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fendelius » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 18:16

Robert JOrdan's editor that lady was the lady who strung together all the bits and pieces of what he wrote into some form of order, here name escapes me right now. But you can read about her on the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time fan page, i was reading it a couple of years ago.

So at the end if you notice his books got thicker and thicker because his narrative snippets were longer, but because Beatrice or Edith or whatever her name was wasn't sure which parts of the narrative snippets were important she was hesitant to heavily edit his writings, so thats why the page counts of the books progressively got larger. And really Robert Jordan never really wanted to connect all the stories together, he just wanted to have a large world view. Thats why instead of finishing the series he went on to make his Bandersnatch imprimatur so he could write his civil war action series stories. What alot of people don't know is he had a massive collection of antique weapons all through his house and the majority of the weapons he personally collected were civil war weapons. The Wheel of Time style weapons he later got that he put out on the porch walls were from teh fans but he was one of the largest collectors fo real civil war memorabilia when he died. And thats why his estate was such a bear to settle because they had to pay all those fees to get provenances of all his valuable civil war weapons.

The wolf that one hears is worse than the orc that one fears....ha ha
Sammael
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Sammael » Fri 08 Mar, 2013 03:40

fendelius wrote:Robert JOrdan's editor that lady was the lady who strung together all the bits and pieces of what he wrote into some form of order, here name escapes me right now. But you can read about her on the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time fan page, i was reading it a couple of years ago.

So at the end if you notice his books got thicker and thicker because his narrative snippets were longer, but because Beatrice or Edith or whatever her name was wasn't sure which parts of the narrative snippets were important she was hesitant to heavily edit his writings, so thats why the page counts of the books progressively got larger. And really Robert Jordan never really wanted to connect all the stories together, he just wanted to have a large world view. Thats why instead of finishing the series he went on to make his Bandersnatch imprimatur so he could write his civil war action series stories. What alot of people don't know is he had a massive collection of antique weapons all through his house and the majority of the weapons he personally collected were civil war weapons. The Wheel of Time style weapons he later got that he put out on the porch walls were from teh fans but he was one of the largest collectors fo real civil war memorabilia when he died. And thats why his estate was such a bear to settle because they had to pay all those fees to get provenances of all his valuable civil war weapons.
His editor was his wife, Harriet. Fendelius in a not knowing what he's talking about non-shocker.

Space Gein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Space Gein » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 02:42

Finally finish A Memory of Light after waiting 2 months to pick up a copy at the local library and yes it kicked *beep*! I am so glad that my time reading those books for the last 15 years wasn't wasted but ended beautifully. Brandon Sanderson really pulled it off. If anyone here has read any of his other work is it any good?

sandalphon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: Whatever Guild I am.
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby sandalphon » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 20:58

I got two presents last week:

1) "Failed States"
2) "Profit over people: Neoliberalism and Global Order"

Both books from Chomsky. Over an year ago I had ordered "Chomsky-Focault Debate" from the same author, but I guess Amazon doesn't have the best customer service at all. No book or money back.

I've also read "Predator STates: Operation Condor and covert war in Latin America" a while back.

Beside that, I've been reading a lot of brazilian made poetry and some other few portuguese authors too.

Gray wrote:Getting Sandy to build fleet is harder than getting Panda's to reproduce in captivity. :)
D-Jango

Postby D-Jango » Thu 23 May, 2013 18:34

Anyone read the Mahabharata?

Return to “Off Game”