Off Game Book Club

Use this forum to discuss subjects other than Astro Empires.
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Off Game Book Club

Postby Winchester » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 21:54

I was going to post this in the topic on Atlas Shrugged, but didn't think it was fair to derail that thread, despite the fact that it's about a book. So, how about an OG book club thread?

Today, I made a great discovery: a used bookstore that has a very large selection of very interesting books, for very cheap prices. I'm terribly excited to begin reading through the stack that I bought today:

The Qu'ran (My old copy was lost a while ago)
The End of Faith, by Sam Harris
Common Sense, by Thomas Paine
The Present Age - On the Death of Rebellion, by Soren Kierkegaard
Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-Christ, by Friedrich Nietzsche
Teachings of the Dalai Lama
Manifestoes of Surrealism, by Andre Breton

Of these, I've read the Qu'ran, as well as the Anti-Christ, but the rest are new territory for me, even if some of the authors are not. Has anyone read any of these? Also, for more general discussion, what are you currently reading/planning on reading/most recently read or bought?

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
General_Grieveous
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: COV
Galaxy: Helion

Re: Off Game Book Club

Postby General_Grieveous » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 22:10

d
Last edited by General_Grieveous on Wed 04 Apr, 2018 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Troll avoidance is the world greatest skill.
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 22:16

The Nicomachean Ethics is actually quite a good read, and gives you an excellent look into Aristotelian ethics. I found it quite enjoyable, myself. Also, I'm quite the fan of Arthur Schopenhauer, so I'm happy to see you reading him; however, I can't recall reading a work of his under that name. Was it published under a different treatise?

General_Grieveous
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: COV
Galaxy: Helion

Postby General_Grieveous » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 22:23

d
Last edited by General_Grieveous on Wed 04 Apr, 2018 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Troll avoidance is the world greatest skill.
Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Callum » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 22:28

I'm looking forward to the next Beano Annual for Christmas.

I haven't read the Iliad for years, so thats there on my list, and Beowulf, another epic.

More modern stuff, I find the Tom Clancy books a good read, factual, maybe not, but entertaining; yes. Those sort of politics/war books to do with Russia/China/Europe/US I find good reads.

As well as that, any Iain Banks books (with and without the M), Asimov as well.

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
Mattzo
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: -Min-

Postby Mattzo » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 22:52

I have a few Tom Clancy books on my shelf I've yet to read, aswell as some other books from Mongols to Romans.

Simon Scarrow, Bernard Cornwell, Tom Clancy are the stand out authors for me right now.

Tyrant. You're not supposed to pay so much attention to Bruskie's morale ambivalence... you are supposed to be the grounded one!
Narth Vader
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: B[~AoV~]
Galaxy: Beta

Postby Narth Vader » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 23:51

I'm still in love with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Stand by Stephen King
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

Of books I've had to read for High school, Gatsby and The Visit by Friedrich Dürrenmatt have been my favourites. I have a stack of books to read, amongst them, The Dice Man I'm looking most forward to.

Also. Stay away from Rand's The Virtue of Selfishness, It was a pain in my opinion to read not worth the education.

Zoran wrote:Props to the Vaders for beating me to the lock.
Hellion
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Hellion » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 00:13

Most of my reading tends to be out of a need to read it :P generally tend to lack the time to read for pleasure. Currently waiting for my book to come in the mail "Series 7 Exam For Dummies" and I have a 2nd study guide for it that I requested at our library but cant remember the name of that one. Hopefully those will keep me occupied for the next month at least >.>

Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Callum » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 00:24

Hellion wrote:Most of my reading tends to be out of a need to read it :P generally tend to lack the time to read for pleasure. Currently waiting for my book to come in the mail "Series 7 Exam For Dummies" and I have a 2nd study guide for it that I requested at our library but cant remember the name of that one. Hopefully those will keep me occupied for the next month at least >.>
Advanced Engineering Mathmatics by KA Stroud (Fourth Edition) is definately a keeper :|
Narth Vader wrote:I'm still in love with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Stand by Stephen King
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

Of books I've had to read for High school, Gatsby and The Visit by Friedrich Dürrenmatt have been my favourites. I have a stack of books to read, amongst them, The Dice Man I'm looking most forward to.

Also. Stay away from Rand's The Virtue of Selfishness, It was a pain in my opinion to read not worth the education.
Adam's masterpiece is a great great book. His Dark Materials is also a prime example of a great children's book than adults can enjoy. (Though I have to say the Hobbit is the best children's book of all time.)

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
shortlivedglory
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: no thanks

Postby shortlivedglory » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 00:31

I have to say, Ribb, I never pegged you for somebody who would be willing to touch Kierkegaard with a ten foot pole. He's one of my favorite philosophers. He took a much different approach to theism than anyone else really did. I'm working through a few poetry books, myself. I'm reading through the works of Thoreau, Emerson, Yeats, Whitman, W. E. B. Du Bois, Booker T. Washington, and Langston Hughes at the moment.

grigri wrote:i have 1 levi (his birth was about 2 month ago) but it is so shine, so shine SO SHINE, that i can't send it in a combat!
Person012345: Every time someone tries to get p-rings before lvl 30, a puppy dies
most epic thread ever
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 00:40

I thoroughly enjoyed Fear and Trembling, as well as The Sickness Unto Death. From what I've heard about The Present Age, it's remarkably prescient about our current society, so I'm probably going to read that one first.

Oh, and as brilliant as Du Bois is (assuming I'm thinking of the right guy; he wrote the Souls of Black Folk, right?) I cannot stand reading anything of his. The actual content and ideas are fine, but his style of writing just annoys me to no end.

tarman2010
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Galaxy: Juno

Postby tarman2010 » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 00:46

Most of what I read is fiction because I so rarely have time to read for pleasure, but a few of my favorites:
Dune by Frank Herbert
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The short stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne and Ernest Hemingway

Recently I read The Magicians by Lev Grossman. As a Harry Potter/fantasy nut I found the much more realistic approach to the human side of having access a refreshing change.

The above post is my opinion and does not indicate my guild's position unless otherwise indicated.
Evil Bender
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: OA

Postby Evil Bender » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 00:48

im reading decision points, its pretty good so far

Jokey Smurf wrote:im waiting for bender so i can put him on my buddy list, hes hilarious.

You realize of course, I hate you all. Cept you Bato i want your nuts!
also, bato just wishes the content of the sig was meant asexually
Hobbes
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Hobbes » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 01:01

Evil Bender wrote:im reading decision points, its pretty good so far
:)

Also, I'm currently reading Crito, Apology was quite good-thanks Ribbentrop!

MC. wrote: yes really,you know my theory of gods being ancient astronaughts. to me god is a race of people that visited us,god and other life are the same thing.
question for you rib,have you ever gone out your way to study the theory of god being a astronaught?
Solarian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Location: [quote="doobs"]As usual Solarian wins this thread.[/quote]

Postby Solarian » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 01:21

Dune is my favorite book.

I planned this months ago.

Ngathf lgan'hagw Klat't Tegdag hfan'wlgm Iulgn'hp.
Tegdag'wlgm hfan'ngathf Nairalos.

Return to “Off Game”