This Server is going to die because of power hungry people

TheDanger

This Server is going to die because of power hungry people

Postby TheDanger » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 21:16

Why is it that in this server the philosophy of the top guilds is to occ until people quit? No wonder there is a lot less players in this server. It just ruins the game. nobody wants to play and have fun anymore because there are those select few and you all know who they are that purposely try to ruin the game. especially for new players. I get that it's part of the game and all but where is the challenge in being a lvl 60 who immediately occ's a lvl 30 once they turn? You're not good by any means if you do that. if you really want to show how good you are then face someone closer to your own level and really show them who's boss. not the little guy who JUST got into lvl range. I want this server to be fun and have a fierce competition but not at the cost of ruining the game. Let active players grow so that there is a real competition later on between everyone not just the top few.

dreyone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: This Server is going to die because of power hungry peop

Postby dreyone » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 22:02

TheDanger wrote:Why is it that in this server the philosophy of the top guilds is to occ until people quit? No wonder there is a lot less players in this server. It just ruins the game. nobody wants to play and have fun anymore because there are those select few and you all know who they are that purposely try to ruin the game. especially for new players. I get that it's part of the game and all but where is the challenge in being a lvl 60 who immediately occ's a lvl 30 once they turn? You're not good by any means if you do that. if you really want to show how good you are then face someone closer to your own level and really show them who's boss. not the little guy who JUST got into lvl range. I want this server to be fun and have a fierce competition but not at the cost of ruining the game. Let active players grow so that there is a real competition later on between everyone not just the top few.
This has been a problem on virtually every server except Alpha (well it became a problem on Alpha too, but not nearly as much as on the newer servers.) You're raising a perfectly valid concern that has been repeatedly brought up on these forums for the last decade or so. Unfortunately a very small group of players have repeatedly shot down any idea that could possibly address this problem for years and years, so despite the fact that a LOT of people have said the exact same thing you're saying for such a long time, nothing has really been done to seriously address the issue. Unfortunately this small group of players seem to have more influence over the game than the thousands of players who have voiced the same concerns you're voicing now. I agree with you 110% and would love to see something done to address the issue of ranker simmers, zergers, and permafarmers. I posted one idea in the feature request subforum on an alternate version of the game that is more balanced and combat-oriented rather than being about who can produce the most fleet and raise their econ the highest while permanently stomping out every other player in the game. The idea is bound to have many flaws which is why I posted it, so that other players can offer their feedback on how to balance it out and address any flaws that they see in the changes I've proposed. If you get a chance, check it out and let me know what you think :)

I'm a dreidel.
Corrupt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [WL]

Postby Corrupt » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 22:37

a competition? challenge? skill? you're in the wrong game buddy, here its just numbers and profit
you make your money by taking it from others, a stalemate is not profitable; so find someone weaker than you and exploit the hell out of him

if there was a word to describe this game it would be greed
anarchy and capitalism would work too actually.. :roll:

seriously this game is played through diplomacy, be on the side of the winner

dreyone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dreyone » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 22:39

Corrupt wrote: if there was a word to describe this game it would be greed
I think "boring" or "lame" would probably be more accurate. :D

Seriously, the way the game works now, you "win" by forcing another player to delete their account. Imagine if other games played this way. Imagine, for example, Counter Strike, where if you headshot someone in a match, they're permanently dead and can never play on that server again. Sounds like a lot of fun right?

LOL

I'm a dreidel.
FrostyGoblin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: sIMPire
Galaxy: Omega

Postby FrostyGoblin » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 00:43

dreyone wrote:

Seriously, the way the game works now, you "win" by forcing another player to delete their account. Imagine if other games played this way. Imagine, for example, Counter Strike, where if you headshot someone in a match, they're permanently dead and can never play on that server again. Sounds like a lot of fun right?
Why are you even comparing a an FPS that has between 16-30 rounds with every round lasting under 5 minutes to a Real Time Strategy game that usually extends over more than 3 months in a competetive way?

Retired servers: N: WTF?, O: sIMPire, P: Royal, A2: xoxo, B2: Ayy, C2: LEWD!, Q: YURI!, D2: LF, E2: 3SUM, F2: PPD, R: Frank, G2: Mayu, H2: STARK, I2: CQC, S: SMUG! | Forced Labour: J2: KS, K2: FTW
Cyber villain extraordinaire
dreyone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dreyone » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 00:47

FrostyGoblin wrote:
dreyone wrote:

Why are you even comparing a an FPS that has between 16-30 rounds with every round lasting under 5 minutes to a Real Time Strategy game that usually extends over more than 3 months in a competetive way?
That's actually exactly why I'm comparing them. In a CS a round lasts a few minutes. Even if you die, it's not that big of a deal. You just wait until the round is over and respawn so you can try again. But in this game, you spend 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc spending a huge amount of time building up your account, only to have some douche with an obnoxious fleet show up, occ all your bases, and now you've just lost an entire year's worth of progress and have to start all over again either on the same server putting you at an enormous disadvantage, basically leading to the same result again, or you start on a new server - whenever the hell it opens (IF it EVEN opens) - only for the same thing to eventually happen again anyway.

How you fail to see how this makes this game suck is beyond me, then again you're probably exactly the kind of player who thinks permafarming lower level players out of the game makes you a skilled RTS player. Would love to see you simmers beat me at a balanced RTS game like Starcraft.

I'm a dreidel.
FrostyGoblin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby FrostyGoblin » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:22

I would do terribly as I have little micro, but that's besides the point.

I would indeed argue that taking easily acquirable resources makes me a better player. Only an idiot would go for the mineral expansion next to the enemy base instead of the natural expand, no?

Retired servers: N: WTF?, O: sIMPire, P: Royal, A2: xoxo, B2: Ayy, C2: LEWD!, Q: YURI!, D2: LF, E2: 3SUM, F2: PPD, R: Frank, G2: Mayu, H2: STARK, I2: CQC, S: SMUG! | Forced Labour: J2: KS, K2: FTW
dreyone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dreyone » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:38

FrostyGoblin wrote:I would do terribly as I have little micro, but that's besides the point.

I would indeed argue that taking easily acquirable resources makes me a better player. Only an idiot would go for the mineral expansion next to the enemy base instead of the natural expand, no?
Sure, except in Starcraft both players are guaranteed to start off on equal footing, and both have a fair chance at stopping each other from going for that natural (or blowing it up after they do). In this game, it's a little bit different...

I'm a dreidel.
FrostyGoblin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby FrostyGoblin » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:42

dreyone wrote:
FrostyGoblin wrote:I would do terribly as I have little micro, but that's besides the point.

Sure, except in Starcraft both players are guaranteed to start off on equal footing, and both have a fair chance at stopping each other from going for that natural (or blowing it up after they do). In this game, it's a little bit different...
Is it?

I guess everyone just starts with a fully built account and i've been playing on hard mode all along.

dreyone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dreyone » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:44

FrostyGoblin wrote:
dreyone wrote:

Is it?

I guess everyone just starts with a fully built account and i've been playing on hard mode all along.
It is when people start later than others. Not everyone starts the very second a server opens like you do, or have the time to wait for the next server to open so they can be one of the first players to start on it.

I'm a dreidel.
FrostyGoblin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby FrostyGoblin » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:52

Good, punctuality should be rewarded.

dreyone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dreyone » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:53

FrostyGoblin wrote:Good, punctuality should be rewarded.
And starting late should be punished? Using your logic they may as well just remove the ability to create an account on a server that's already started.

I'm a dreidel.
SHoCK_WaVe
Guild: [WKYSB]
Galaxy: Nova

Postby SHoCK_WaVe » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:53

You can't compare this game to Starcraft or CS because you're running on completely different arguments.

This game is not about friendly competition that any random can pick up and just start playing. No matter how much you want it to be, AE is just not that kinda game... Nor will it ever be that kinda game.

As stated above, this game is about greed and the exploitation of lower level players (generally the ones that suck) for profit. There is no profit to be found in a "friendly" competition. Why do you think there are so many big corporations and business in the real world that are so corrupt and power hungry? It's all about that mother *beep* money yo.

You think that makes this game boring? Then don't play it.

IGN: Dasa

[X.ORG]/[LOVE]/[Astro]/[WKYSB]/[VoID]/[OMG]/[Frank]
dreyone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dreyone » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 01:55

SHoCK_WaVe wrote:You can't compare this game to Starcraft or CS because you're running on completely different arguments.

This game is not about friendly competition that any random can pick up and just start playing. No matter how much you want it to be, AE is just not that kinda game... Nor will it ever be that kinda game.

As stated above, this game is about greed and the exploitation of lower level players (generally the ones that suck) for profit. There is no profit to be found in a "friendly" competition. Why do you think there are so many big corporations and business in the real world that are so corrupt and power hungry? It's all about that mother *beep* money yo.

You think that makes this game boring? Then don't play it.
Actually, you can compare it to them, since they're both games, and one of them is actually (supposed to be) the same genre as this game, an RTS.

The problem is that the exploitation of lower level players occurs even when they don't suck, and even when there is no profit being made. There is plenty of profit to be found in "friendly competition." It's called "fun." You know, that thing that anything calling itself a "game" is supposed to be?

Also lol @ comparing AE to real life. Seriously? Smh.

I'm a dreidel.
FrostyGoblin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby FrostyGoblin » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 02:02

dreyone wrote:
FrostyGoblin wrote:Good, punctuality should be rewarded.
And starting late should be punished? Using your logic they may as well just remove the ability to create an account on a server that's already started.
Why shouldn't a game whose core mechanic is time reward early starters?
dreyone wrote:Actually, you can compare it to them, since they're both games, and one of them is actually (supposed to be) the same genre as this game, an RTS.

The problem is that the exploitation of lower level players occurs even when they don't suck, and even when there is no profit being made. There is plenty of profit to be found in "friendly competition." It's called "fun." You know, that thing that anything calling itself a "game" is supposed to be?

Also lol @ comparing AE to real life. Seriously? Smh.
They're not REALLY the same genre though are they? You can slap a Jam label on Marmelade and get away with it but it wont make it Jam. Just because the have military themes and we call them the same thing doesn't make them the same thing.

I'd argue that this game is real time strategy while Starcraft is real time tactics.

Return to “Quantum”