Wanton disregard for forum etiquette. Aka, HAI GAIS~!

SomeRandomNewbie

Wanton disregard for forum etiquette. Aka, HAI GAIS~!

Postby SomeRandomNewbie » Thu 26 Nov, 2015 17:49

So, what's a newbie to do around here? No 'introduce yourself' thread? No space to throw my utter ignorance of the game mechanics around? How's a guy to make a bad first impression?

Ok, long story short, my machine's a potato because money. Specifically, a lack of it. Stumbled in here looking around for something to keep me busy. I have no idea what I'm doing.

All the same, I'm sticking my comfy chair right here and kicking back.

Obviously, I don't know who any of the guilds are. Who the 'good guys' and 'bad guys' are, anyone able to give the newbie a brief rundown?

Managed to push 35 economy on day 0, everyone else in the sector seems to have tapped out at under 20. That sound about right? Other than rushing Warp to get expanding early, is there anything else I should be looking out for? Specific buildings or techs I should be getting early to get a decent start?

gt1971

Re: Wanton disregard for forum etiquette. Aka, HAI GAIS~!

Postby gt1971 » Thu 26 Nov, 2015 18:10

A few tips, don't waste money plying this game, you will get worked over by cheats and game admins let them get away with it, after all, they not going to kick out paying customers.

Play on your own, avoid guilds, most don't offer you anything, you get occed, you are on your own, all they want you for are your ships.

To many guild masters who think that 'owning' an AE server is some major life achievement and it sure makes up for them still living at home with mom when in their 40's.

SomeRandomNewbie

Postby SomeRandomNewbie » Thu 26 Nov, 2015 20:15

'Cheats'?

Hard word to be throwing around without dropping evidence. The game's running server side, so unless someone's hacking the server there's not much room to cheat. Use of multi's or bots maybe, but that'd be pretty easy to spot in the access logs with some basic data mining.

That said, even a newbie like me can see there's a huge information deficit I'd be working against trying to solo. A guild has many eyes, and with a few dedicated players can monitor huge sections of space, logging fleet movements and development rates for given planets in an off site wiki, build a picture of when specific players are typically online or offline based on those movements and development, and determine which planets/accounts are inactive or aren't spending (and therefore have credits to plunder). With a little scripting, you'd just need guild-mates to feed their observations in to a form on the guilds website and the log could even make automatic reports & recommendations, unless their targets are deliberately (and correctly) obfuscating their movements.

Just poking around my keypad sectors with a dinky lil' corvette, I can already see there's a lot of information that can be tracked if someone's willing to put in the work. Don't ask me, I'm not a coder, think I'd get swamped just trying to stay on top of my corner of the void.

"I fly under the code of knighthood. It's no surprise since we soldiers are the descendants of the Belkan Knights. We protect the meek and give our lives for honour. But that does not mean we are generous… since generosity will cost us our lives."

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Thu 26 Nov, 2015 20:35

No, trust me, the scripts and multi use in this game are quite impressive - both in terms of the prevalence and how much of an advantage they give you. You'll also find that the admins are incredibly uneven when it comes to enforcement; the worst offenders historically go unpunished, while some genuinely innocent (or at least, innocent of the stated reasons) people have gotten banned. Add to that a near total lack of development with the game, including fixing numerous flaws that have been pointed out regularly for the last, oh, seven years, and you've got a bad situation getting worse.

Don't get me wrong - AE is addictive as hell. But it's also frustrating in all the wrong ways. Player beware.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
gt1971

Postby gt1971 » Thu 26 Nov, 2015 21:09

Abuse of referral system, creation of multiple accounts to use as farms to get a boost, all kinds of dodgy *beep* goes on. Admins do nothing, play the game but don't pay them a penny.

Return to “Elysium”