WINDOWS IN SPESS

Place here your own AE fanwork (banners, logos, ship images, etc).
Ory'Hara
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Re: New Pixel Ships

Postby Ory'Hara » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 18:20

OF COURSE... it could also just be an observation deck. something for the crew to loosen up when they're off-duty.

DarkMirror
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Helion

Postby DarkMirror » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 18:37

Ory'Hara wrote:OF COURSE... it could also just be an observation deck. something for the crew to loosen up when they're off-duty.
That's still not a great idea. Any sort of window is going to be a weak point in the hull, and while I suppose you could armour the thing and basically build it so that theres triple-redundancy seals on the blast doors and stuff... why bother? Depending on what your ship is doing, there's not going to be much to see. Space is mostly empty and unless you're above a planet there's not much to see. And even then, it requires your ship to have that recreation deck facing the planet.

I'll agree that ships should have some sort of emergency deck to let them plot out the stars and such, but windows don't have much purpose in combat or recreation.

I am the laughing man at the side of your bed who extends his hand
I tell you I'll make you smile
I lurch over you and cough up black bile
Ory'Hara
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Ory'Hara » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 19:00

in recreation, they do. like i said, just staring at the stars is a good thing, personally, i like just lying back and staring at the dark, star-riddled heaven above me... <.<

DarkMirror
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby DarkMirror » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 19:02

Ory'Hara wrote:in recreation, they do. like i said, just staring at the stars is a good thing, personally, i like just lying back and staring at the dark, star-riddled heaven above me... <.<
You, uh, do realize that for most people that's more of a "go completely nuts" type situation, right?

Being on a spaceship would be inherently terrifying. Looking out at the stars would only reinforce that you are on a tiny, fragile bubble in the middle of a lot of nothing and nobody will be able to rescue you if something bad happens.

Ory'Hara
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Ory'Hara » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 19:42

some people might find it soothing. that's the idea behind an observation deck, DM... /facepalm

sorbitol overlord
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby sorbitol overlord » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 20:06

Whatever happened to holographic displays on flat surfaces that perform the same task as windows (Even though you can have transparent materials just as strong as the hull), but aren't as vulnerable as the concept?

---
Someone DeHilarious wrote:ZOMBIE SEX! WHOO! >.>
Some Spokesperson wrote:Made like, taste like Sorby.
DarkMirror
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby DarkMirror » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 20:13

Ory'Hara wrote:some people might find it soothing. that's the idea behind an observation deck, DM... /facepalm
Then watch the stars on a screen. Don't put a glaring weak point in the hull and risk half your crew going stir-crazy.

Ory'Hara
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Ory'Hara » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 22:49

DarkMirror wrote:
Ory'Hara wrote:some people might find it soothing. that's the idea behind an observation deck, DM... /facepalm
Then watch the stars on a screen. Don't put a glaring weak point in the hull and risk half your crew going stir-crazy.
because... it's extremely hard to put blast doors and armor to compensate for those small spots on a ship, yes? <.<

DarkMirror
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby DarkMirror » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 23:13

Then you run right back into the fact that for most people, the void is not "soothing". People HATE empty spaces.

Ory'Hara
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Ory'Hara » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 23:49

DarkMirror wrote:Then you run right back into the fact that for most people, the void is not "soothing". People HATE empty spaces.
butbutbutbut.... the stars... they shine... ;_;

DarkMirror
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby DarkMirror » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 00:19

Ory'Hara wrote:
DarkMirror wrote:Then you run right back into the fact that for most people, the void is not "soothing". People HATE empty spaces.
From down here? Great. Up there it means something a little different.

Guilty Spark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Guilty Spark » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 00:37

DarkMirror wrote:
Ory'Hara wrote:
From down here? Great. Up there it means something a little different.
Some people would go nuts because of the claustrophobic spaces that you'd probably find in a spaceship too. A simple psych evaluation would weed out anyone fragile enough to break down just by looking into space.

>2011
DarkMirror
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby DarkMirror » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 00:58

Guilty Spark wrote:Some people would go nuts because of the claustrophobic spaces that you'd probably find in a spaceship too. A simple psych evaluation would weed out anyone fragile enough to break down just by looking into space.
I'll admit I'm going out on a limb here, but AFAIK theres not a lot of good sitting and looking out at a vast, hostile nothing will do for you. If you're on a military ship, theres no reason to be stargazing. Having a rec-room with windows is as pointless as having a bridge with windows. If they really want to stargaze, thats what television screens are for.

Windows are a liability. Sacecraft will be utilitarian, theres no point wasting cash making sure your observation deck isn't going to kill your ship when it's cheaper just not to build one.

Awa

Postby Awa » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 15:07

Military space ships will not have windows for the same reason military submarines don't have windows:
1. They are a weak spot in the hull.
2. The military personnel are not there to operate the ship, not to enjoy the view.
3. You can't see far with your naked eye anyway. (In a submarine because underwater you can see only a couple dozen meters in front of you tops, in a spaceship because even in middle of combat ships probably wouldn't approach closer than a couple thousand kilometers from one another. Think you can see another ship 3000 km away with your naked eye?).

CrazynTough Kiwi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: G2: Mayu
Galaxy: Lyra

Postby CrazynTough Kiwi » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:07

I believe ships could get within a dozen kilometers of each other but I think they would usually be about 300km away.

AE Status: Zombie under the control of unknown entity.

Return to “Fanwork”