Developing a Story Idea

Role-playing only. No out-of-character posts.

Moderator: Role-Play Moderator

Lord Ted
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: [III]
Galaxy: Alpha

Developing a Story Idea

Postby Lord Ted » Tue 28 May, 2013 22:46

I may exactly make this a novel or a string of short stories to make a novel. Idk. Thoughts?

Main Idea:

Two characters are given the choice to either be immortal or to die. They both pick to be immortal out of their fear of dying. The two main characters are people who are best friends at the time that both decided to take heroin and overdosed. A sprit gives them the choice upon their death, and then both wake up and continue on with their life. Through their travels that span hundreds of years both of them develop mental disorders one being bipolar, and the other anti-social. This effects how both address the issues that arise, some similar issues and some different issues. In the books from experience to experience it addresses many different moral questions, and questions on a religious look on death and how that effects the followers fear or lack of fear of death no matter how long they experience life.

Characters:

There will be many different characters that come into existence in the book, many minor.

Main:

Stefan: Bipolar character that picks to be immortal. This character represents a lawful good character that develops into a neutral character. This one is viewed as the light side, while I don’t want to directly state either disorder is better than the other, or am I saying that having no disorder is best, this just is a key to grow depth into the character so they can do things that other people would question.

Sal: Anti-social character that picks to be immortal. This is something that grows on him, he starts as very chaotic good, and develops into neutral evil character. He is out for himself and will step on others to get there, and even kill without thinking twice about it. He ends up doing things that begin to make people question the very nature of what it means to be human, compared to a computer or something similar.

Setting:
Starts in today’s world and develops through time, I am unsure how I will address the time changes in technology but I will attempt to change things in how people act and what tools they use. Nothing to crazy will be done as to change people’s life style, much of my technology changes will develop through looking at the game Mass Effect and other futuristic perspectives.

Lord Ted
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Re: Developing a Story Idea

Postby Lord Ted » Thu 30 May, 2013 23:14

Start of one of my idea's.

"Keep working people," a man stands in a warehouse off shore, his care for the people around him is obvious in just the way he demands people to keep working. The hour was late into the night and approaching dawn while everyone else around him was exhausted his eyes were fierce and focused. "Work or you will be fired, and trust me you do not, and I repeat do not want that." The workers began going full steam again typing in their reports of the experiments they had done earlier that night. "We have made some progress this week, someday we will reach where I need us to be."

The man walked into a tented area where wires rained from the ceiling and all around him, he was careful not to trip on the cord connecting the project in the center of the tent to it's power source. He began to think to himself, "two hundred years and finally making progress." What sat in the center of the room was a biological mess a man with an assortment of wires running through his body and his brain directly connected to a computer right next to him. He looked over the latest report, "computer interface has accepted the biological material. Beginning stage 2, DNA fusing." One of his workers walks in behind him, a female appearing to look in her late twenties.

She stars at the project and a moment of regret passes through her mind, and shows on her face. "Master," she addresses him by title, "I have given you ten years of my life, and not once have I seen you show a sign of regard for human life, you care about advancing us, and I believe that is beautiful and shows the rest of us the project is for a good cause if you are willing to do this. However I want to know, when you were younger did you believe you would be doing this? Keeping him a live as you process information and turn him into a computer?"

"My dear, human life is merely a joke. I have been alive for hundreds of years and perhaps for my first century I would think different on humanity, but I cannot say now with a clear advanced mind that one human being even myself is above what I am doing. Humanity is a joke, therefore we must build it on a new foundation and I am preparing to do this. I have watched generation after generation of people die, while I have lived billions have died and in that time only thousands mattered. Even those who lived to be a hundred. None of them mattered. Edison does not matter. Einstein does not matter. They were stepping stones and I do not believe you would know those names if I had not taught you them. All names die, my apologies. I will never die so my name only lasts through that fact. If I finish this project, unless I plaster my name on the walls of every building, my name will die if I don't continue to do things. My most brilliant student helped me develop quantum computing and brought it to the next level, still his name is dead to me. Memory does not last when you are as old as me." He walks back to another computer that was processing information, "even you guys will be a distant memory, but our works live on. That is all you can ask for. So to me humanity and ethics are merely a stepping stone. So no I have a higher answer than that of a normal human being."

She began to cry a little, her master was completely devoid of care of humans. "If I may ask, what happened to the last crew that works with you?"

"They all died from the pills I gave them. My first attempt to help regular humans advance their brains." He said without taking his eyes off the screen. "If you are going to cry, quit now, I am close to a new batch of pills which should have better results, and this team will have it. Hope you guys are strong enough."

This idea took it's time to process for the women, the idea of a disregard for human life with a passion for advancing it. She was worried as to what extreme she supported the Master, while to say that his goals justified the means, or if he was evil. She thought back as to it being odd that she now attempts to answer these questions while they were always brewing inside of her. She continues to be lost in thought as she leaves the tented area when the Master's attention was clearly on the computer in the middle of the room. As she approaches her seat again one of her co-workers looks at her, and notices that she looks somber, and gives her a quizzical look, and she responds with a head nod signaling that everything was fine, even though she knew it wasn't.

The rest of her work day seemed to be long and drawn out. She memorized every square inch of her desk instead of pressing on in work, she did not mind that the Master was in the warehouse he was preoccupied with himself, his love for his project blinded him from her actions, and the rest out of fear and love for a coworker remained quiet about her passive aggressive reaction to the Masters feelings about mankind. She knew that her coworker would force her to go out to the bar after work regardless of how tired she and they were. The eyes of everyone there seemed heavy, so much so she imagined her own eyes falling to the desk and her being unable to pick them up and place them back in her head.

Her desk had a mountain of papers stacked in three sections, her complete attention to detail in an obsessive way was one of the reasons she was hired, nothing gets lost. Her papers color coded, and her computer quiet as a mouse. Her computer, and the rest of the computers ion the warehouse, were the most advanced in the world. The master had an interesting way of helping humanity, while he felt the need to advance their physical well being, he decided to hide any invention of his that would further their current lives, "not until they were all advanced," he would say whenever it was brought up. The computers processing power was 24 times as fast and were built on a design of quantum computing that society of their time hadn't even imagined. He said he invented it 50 years ago, but until you work with him you don't truly believe him. Not on the fact that he invented it but that he made it 50 years ago, when he looked 20. Physical appearance was something that never changed for him, not in the decade that his current team had worked with him. People merely think he is joking when he says he was been around for hundreds of years, no one believes it, nor do they believe the government would not notice. He always has an answer for everything of course, none that ever made sense of course.

She has a picture of her family on the desk as well, her family, a concept seemed foreign to her sometimes. Her family consisted of 5 people who forget how to call each other one day, after a bad thanksgiving dinner where no one said anything with any prior thought. It was that which lead her to the Master, she was hungry for attachment, and he showed it in his eyes. He took her in as one of his family, and taught her everything she knows. She was a mere scientist before she met him and became one of the top scientists in the world.
Last edited by Lord Ted on Sat 01 Jun, 2013 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Ted
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Lord Ted » Fri 31 May, 2013 21:54

Opener

The light was bright and almost blinded the two friends as they wondered where they were, and what happened to them. One minute they were at a party with needles in their arms and the next they were warm and in bright light, could the drugs be so strong to make them feel like they were in heaven? Neither of their minds were open to the idea they were dead, they were young and death was not an option when your life was a party, however they were in fact dead. They were stone cold dead, their minds were slowly dwindling into blackness, and not a single persona t that party noticed their bodies were soul less, all imagined they were knocked out approaching a new plain that only drugs could reach you. Death was never an option in the eyes of the young. Risk for pleasure rather than joy in security.

Stefan a blonde young man was the first to come to the realization that they were dead, and the thought almost drove him to madness, but his friend Sal was there as well, and it was in that moment of self discovery for both of them that they were approached by a spirit. "I have one question for you, I am prepared to give you immorality, or you can die." This spirit had a dark hue around them and the light in them was dull, the eyes were red as blood. Sal questioned as to answer the immorality because it felt like a trap, but Stefan answered for them both.

"Who are you?" Stefan pressed for an answer from the spirit before picking, though his impulse was to go for immorality.

"I am an fallen angel, you need not do anything or sell me your soul, I just hate to see the young die, when both of you have potential to change the world." The spirit shifted into a new shape of a man in a black coat, and placed his hands in the pockets as he looked at the ground and shrugged. Then the spirit shifted into a young blonde boy with a Teddy Bear. "So will you live forever for me?"

"Yes," Stefan was sold and did not realize he was answering for the both of them because Sal was too not yet ready to die. Howeverm Sal looked over at Stefan and Stefan looked back into his eyes as the laughter from the spirit began. Without warning they were transported back to their bodies and their journey had begun.
Last edited by Lord Ted on Sat 01 Jun, 2013 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

gazzy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby gazzy » Fri 31 May, 2013 21:58

which one is Amanda Bynes? :paranoid:

Lord Ted
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Lord Ted » Fri 31 May, 2013 22:02

I could say a girl like Amanda Bynes ends up marrying one of them. I am thinking of giving Stean the crazy chick.

gazzy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby gazzy » Fri 31 May, 2013 22:07

ok sounds good :P

TForce1
Banned
Banned

Postby TForce1 » Sat 08 Jun, 2013 00:52

Needs a bit more depth, more creativity. It seems a bit dull, no offense of course. As an avid role-player, I hope to see this go off well.

Return to “Role-Play”