Recycle Bin RP Article

Role-playing only. No out-of-character posts.

Moderator: Role-Play Moderator

User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 18:30

Introduction

Post Guide:

1~Intro
2~What is a Recycle Bin RP?
3~Signs of a Recycle Bin RP
4~How to avoid starting a Recycle Bin RP/Player
5~E-Respect
6~Conclusion

I thought about writting this all night and I have decided to give AE Forums my last hope *sniffle*. I intend this to be a guide for future RPers who find themselves in this little corner of the interverse. Everything here is strictly my opinion but I think some of us here can agree to most of the things written here. I made this hoping that the standard of AE Forum roleplaying would increase, or atleast it wouldn't be one giant glob of threads that nobody can tell which is worth joining and which isn't.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 18:31

What Is A Recycle Bin RP?

A Recycle Bin RP is a RP that is basically full of people constantly battling out that what they have is the best. Or everybody competeing against each other on whose faction/person is better. Most of this is done with ridiculously retarded and overpowered technology or massive amounts of fleets.

"But Almighty Knowing Drew! Why do people do this?"

In my opinion many of the people do this is because they either are bad or completely suck at AE itself. They RP as this awesome mighty fleet to sweep over and annhilate its enemies! Just so they can regain that little bit of self-esteem they lost when their entire fleet was lost to a fighter swarm for the first time.

In the great words of George Carlin:

"Men are insecure about the size of their dicks so they have to kill one another over the matter."

This is true metaphorically for most of the people who escalade a RP into constant dick waving. But another reason is because of a sense of justice or fairness.

Act 1: JUSTICE! wrote:
DM: Okay guys, so I have a bunch of super powerful buggers who could probbably wipe out a small nation with it's left foot.

Hivelord: BUT THATS NOT FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*voice crack*AIR! WAAAAAH!!!! *Makes a even POWERFULLERER race*

DM: Hivelord, stfu. *Undermines Hive's Powerful race*

Hivelord: *Counters Underminement*


Dramatization: This is ONLY a example. No offense intended whatsoever.

Now of course this kind of thing continues on, clogging the thread and turning it into a Recycle Bin RP. I am also not trying to say a powerful race is bad, it's just generally not good. But they can be powerful tools for plot building as well, just make sure you run this by the GM and plan this out carefully before bringing something in that powerful.

The main point that people mainly forget that this is a RP not a war game or a competition. I always hate when people post something like this.

RPer wrote:
... blah blah blah it is the most powerful single thing in the galaxy blah blah blah...


JESUS CHRIST NO!
Your thing is NOT the best.(Unless it is the GM saying it because if it is then he should have something planned!)
Your E-Penor is NOT the biggest.(Although mine is.)
YOU ARE NOT COOL!

Now I also understand that many of the people here also do not play AE but still RP. A fraction of those people RP because it is fun, and they like writting a interesting story. The other people take RPing as a form of a game.

Then there are the people who do actually RP but honestly can't do it for *beep*. But of course I am not discouraging these people, they should always try their best and practice! And most important of all learn from the best! (Like me)
Last edited by Drew328 on Tue 04 Aug, 2009 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 18:31

Signs of a Recycle Bin RP

The first immediate sign of a Recycle Bin RP is something like this.

GM wrote:
...blah blah blah here you will play as a...


NO! NO NO NO NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!

You do not play as a character, you RP as a character. If you say you play as a character then you imply that this is a game. This is bad because we all know that the point of a game is to win it! You are not trying to win in a RP you are trying to write a actual interesting story. Now some of you can argue that another point of the game is to just have fun, which is the reason people RP. But we all know that the ultimate reasoning of a game is to win. Besides, winning can be considered a form of fun too.

So please, next time you try to make a new thread post something more like this.

GM wrote:
...blah blah Drew is Awesome blah blah you will RP as a...



Another sign of a Recycle Bin RP just waiting to happen is a RP concentrated around fighting.

GM wrote:
...blah blah blah races are all fighting over this blah blah blah...



Now a thread concentrating around fighting is not bad, but it is a open invitation for Recycle Bin RPers to hop in the jolly blood-stained train. I myself, like participating in a thread once in a while about fighting beacause it is fun. But I always, ALWAYS take it as a wargame. For real RPing this would not be good, but RPs concentrated about fighting usually have little to no plot anyway.

That is besides getting the "Objective" or "Conquering" the planet.
Last edited by Drew328 on Wed 02 Sep, 2009 01:45, edited 3 times in total.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 18:31

How To Avoid Starting A Recycle Bin RP/Player

There are simple steps to avoid starting or being a Recycle Bin RP/Player. The first most important step is to have your RP planned out. Make sure you have a general idea of the plot you want. Remember in a RP things will not always go as you intended because of the many different minds participating. RPs with other people who are actually RPing correctly mutate the story, and change it. Which is good! It makes the RP unpredictable and thus interesting to read and write to! But again you should still have a basic layout of a plot and a proper ending thought out. Of course many RPs die before they can ever get a proper ending... *sniffle*

I would like to call that step the golden rule, or the golden step. Because it will be your foundation and your funding of ideas throughout the entire RP.

Now for the basic little details that help out in a RP or to become a better RPer.

1: Use correct SPELLING!

I CAN NOT stress this enough, this the most important step next to the golden one. Correct spelling is both important and key to being a RPing because the sole of RPing is WRITING. And correct spelling is a conventional thing writers need to have! Honestly guys,(And Girls) would it kill you to spend a couple seconds feeding your work through spell checker? It helps your grammar alot if English is your second language.

2: Use proper grammar

Grammar... Without this nobody will understand what the *beep* you are trying to say and probbably just ignore you due to your complete lack of quality in a post. Please people, have this on hand.

3: You are NOT your characters, and again NEVER say your thing is the best.

Take a look at this example.

Ender wrote:And came in the MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!!


Ender wrote:ALL HAIL THE MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!!


Ender wrote:THE MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER OPENED FIRE WITH ITS MIGHTY SHIPS!!!


Ender wrote:MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!!


Ender wrote:MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!!


Ender wrote:MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!!


OKAY! WE *beep* GET IT! YOU LIKE YOUR FACTION!!!!
Now none of this right here is wrong, it's what comes afterwards.

Ender wrote:And the leader of the MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!! came on the front lines, fighting his way through the tank army with a stick of bubblegum.


Ender wrote:The GENERAL of the MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!! fought on the frontlines as a sniper ignoring the fact that he could be orbitally bombarded any moment.


Ender wrote:The leader of the MATCHIGERBLARGH KRIEGER!!! lead a RECONNASSIANCE MISSION on a CRASHED CRUSIER because he apparently had nothing else to do on this WARRING PLANET.


*Looks to the right, looks to the left*
/Facepalm

Now you have to wonder, why would someone be stupid enough to have key people in his faction/goverment always on the front lines for mundane battles and purposes? It's because he visualizes that he IS the person. And in effect, when that idiotic person gets killed that person gets ANGRY! And fights that his character did not infact die and is alive! Now pretending to BE the person can be argued another way that you are writting in the perspective of the person. This is both true and a real way to RP. But there are two different lines between being in the perspective of that person and BEING that person.

You can tell this person visualizes himself as the person consciously or unconsciously it does not matter. How you can tell this person does this is because he always plays as a character at the very top who is important and has his anus shoved full of medals and awards. This is because a self-esteem factor that I also stated in "Dick Waving". They pretend that they are this awesome person in the RP (or GAME for them) because they WANT to be that person. I don't blame him, who doesn't want to be at the top of a intergalactic empire?

But part of RPing is also RPing as a character NOT at the top.

Linkmyster wrote:James had to think fast. He jumped back through the inner airlock door and sealed it behind him. He then activated the airlock foam seal. Within seconds the airlock was filled with a thick red foam that hardened instantly. James then dived into the cockpit and pulling up the keyboard activated the main turret.

Code: Select all

Weapons offline


He tried again

Code: Select all

Weapons offline


*beep* he thought and stepped out of the cockpit holding his hands in the air.


This is a PERFECT example of proper RPing, he neither blasts his enemies into ash and he is just a pilot of a ship. AND HE GIVES HIMSELF UP! OMG! RPing is also about sacrifice, you will have to lose things or give up on something IC sometimes. This is a example of a good RPer, notice his oppositeness to some of the dickwaver RPers here.
Last edited by Drew328 on Tue 04 Aug, 2009 21:53, edited 4 times in total.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 18:32

E-Respect

Contrary to what everybody in real life tells you, E-Respect IS important. That is if you plan on having RPing as a continuing hobby. If you do not have any E-Respect then people will be less willing to accept your ideas or listen to them.

Here is a example on having no E-Respect could affect your RP enjoyment.
ACT 2: Listenz to mez! wrote:
Ender: Hey guys, I have been thinking of starting a new thread and-

DM: NO!!! THATS A BAD ENDER!!! NO NO NEIN NEIN NEIN! STFU RIGHT NOW! NOBODY *beep* CARES! GO SIT IN YOUR CORNER AND CUT YOURSELF!!! /rage

Ender: Hey will you guys atleast liste-

Everybody: Nein Ender!

Ender: QQ... /wrist


As you can see if you want to contribute ideas to the RP community E-Respect is important. It is easy to have enough E-Respect to have your ideas considered, of course many of a RP community could accept your ideas even though you don't have any. That is because these people are kind and caring and you should be thankful you have great people like these in your community. To earn E-Respect all you have to do is simply not be a Recycle Bin RPer, unless you are doing it intentionally for fun in the right threads. Now if you can't follow the steps to become a non-Recycle Bin RPer then you shouldn't even start a thread in the first place!

GM wrote:
Okay gyus herse hwo ist ginog to wrk I r gogin to inavde thsee gyus adn yuo defned thme.



Lolwut? GTFO my RP Forum right now you blasphemeous Recycle Bin Rper!!!

Here is a post that you should NEVER do in a RP Community you plan on staying in.

Ender wrote:OOC: As long as we don't have any science...

"CAPTAIN! SEND UP THE FLYING RAINBOW UNICORN SQUADRON!"

To assist the red berets, flying purple unicorns came down and breathed magical rainbows onto the soviets. The soviets immmediatly pulled out stuffed animals and had a tea party. The unicorns cmae down and speared to the soviets with their I-can-copy-a-TV-showium, immediately killing Ozia. After killg 3 more main charactery-people the Unicorns flew into space and zapped the enemy stuff with their rainbows and ate the fighters. The plastiships cheered and waved to the rainbow behemoths. And they all lived happily ever on Hylon IV. The End.


People like these are usually labeled as trolls if this is their sole purpose of coming onto the thread and should be ignored accordingly. But people who actually RP here (or try to) and make this kind of post because of they don't get their way are called a "Endie". Or in otherwords "Ender of Threads". This is the worst kind of status you can ever get in a RP Community anywhere. Please people, for the love of god if you are angry just go punch a pillow or something...
Last edited by Drew328 on Tue 04 Aug, 2009 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 18:32

Conclusion

Now I know many of you may or not follow my opinion and think I am just being a prick. Well that is your choice to believe, but know that I am actually trying to help this place. If you disagree with me then I am sorry to have wasted both yours and my time. All of the people I quoted here are only examples, they are not meant to be targetted if I have caused you any emotional distress anger/irritation/etc. then I am genuinely sorry.

Any feedback would be nice, even if it's not. If your feelin' kind pass me a rep and /signed this to have it pinned to help others who may find themselves here.

I propose RPs designed to have no plot but to be a fun wargame have the tag [RBRP] at the end. So the RPers who intend to find a thread which mutates from the many different people and is perfected by everybody in it.

And remember dick waving RPs are only welcome Here

But really people, we need to cut down on this type of *beep* and actually do what we are here for... RPing. . .
Last edited by Drew328 on Tue 04 Aug, 2009 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 20:30

Finished up.

Please post feedback on what you think. Remember this article is based solely on my opinion.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
Afroduck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2438
Joined: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 19:14
Reputation: 26
Guild: DesuDesuDesu
Galaxy: Beta
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Afroduck » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 20:41

Drew, you deserve a full internet for this.
But I can only give you rep. So I'll give you that.

Image
User avatar
Saer
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun 21 Sep, 2008 01:58
Reputation: 8
Guild: The Guild of Calamitous Intent
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Saer » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 20:42

I enjoyed your article. I thought it was about recycling ideas for RPs, thus Recycle Bin RP.

I agree with most of what you said, about who is bigger.

Oddly, in most occasions I was like the opposite.
Ex: In City of Death v2, I was one robot. It didn't work out though. I wanted the thing to die anyway.
Ex: A Clockwork Red, I was just a small installation of humans trying not to fight.

I only did one stupid thing, and that was about sorbitol being completely stupid and going out of his way to bother me for no reason, and acting as if he did have a reason.

Still, well done.

Image
User avatar
Canaris
Global Moderator
Posts: 8173
Joined: Sat 06 Sep, 2008 08:01
Reputation: 185
Location: Nowhere

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Canaris » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 20:48

AE-F wrote:You are about to give a reputation point to this post.


I only have one gripe, which is in regards to 'playing' a character.

I often compare actors to roleplayers, and when you do either, you do, indeed, 'play' a part.

Image
Ender Wiggin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:52
Reputation: 17
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Ender Wiggin » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 21:09

Drew>Understanding. Seriously. That whole bit on E-Respect was totally true.
However, I disagree with you at one point

"This is the worst kind of status you can ever get in a RP Community anywhere"

False. The worst is rapefoot. Then Endie.

...
User avatar
Guilty Spark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 3443
Joined: Tue 26 May, 2009 14:57
Reputation: 75
Galaxy: Epsilon
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Guilty Spark » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 21:29

Drew wrote:I CAN NOT stress this enough, this the most important step next to the golden one. Correct spelling is both important and key to being a RPing because the sole of RPing is WRITTING. And correct spelling is a conventional thing writers need to have! Honestly guys,(And Girls) would it kill you to spend a couple seconds feeding your work through spell checker? It helps your grammar alot if English is your second language.


Oh the irony! It's spelt: writing. :P


Other than that, damn good work. Very useful. Rep given, good sir!

>2011
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 21:54

Guilty Spark wrote:
Drew wrote:I CAN NOT stress this enough, this the most important step next to the golden one. Correct spelling is both important and key to being a RPing because the sole of RPing is WRITTING. And correct spelling is a conventional thing writers need to have! Honestly guys,(And Girls) would it kill you to spend a couple seconds feeding your work through spell checker? It helps your grammar alot if English is your second language.


Oh the irony! It's spelt: writing. :P


Other than that, damn good work. Very useful. Rep given, good sir!


Ironically writing is the word I always spell wrong. Usually I spell everything else right.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜
User avatar
DarkMirror
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 10996
Joined: Mon 09 Jul, 2007 01:40
Reputation: 48
Galaxy: Helion
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby DarkMirror » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 21:57

I agree with almost all of this. And while I would make a freaky bug race that could squash small nations with a single step, they'd be hypothetical at best and a GM villain at worst.

I am the laughing man at the side of your bed who extends his hand
I tell you I'll make you smile
I lurch over you and cough up black bile
User avatar
Drew328
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 01:21
Reputation: 31
Guild: [TAG] Tag You're It!
Galaxy: Delta
Location: Washington, Seattle
Contact:

Re: Recycle Bin RP Article

Postby Drew328 » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 05:46

DarkMirror wrote:I agree with almost all of this. And while I would make a freaky bug race that could squash small nations with a single step, they'd be hypothetical at best and a GM villain at worst.


I intended it to be hypothetical when I wrote it.

I DEMAND YOU JOIN ME! Beta Serv, NW Region
Msg me!
New to RP? Take a peek
~We don't want the whole world, we just want your half~
Image
._ _ . ..๑۩۞۩๑.
|
Lover of Pineapples |
... . .˜“*°•.•°*”˜

Return to “Role-Play”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests