Resources

Role-playing only. No out-of-character posts.

Moderator: Role-Play Moderator

Canaris
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Resources

Postby Canaris » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 05:41

Updated: September 05th, 2010 @ 2220 hrs EST

Itching for new inspiration? Need some good ideas? Well, look no further! This thread is intended to cure what ails you; the lack of really cool plot armor, handwavium, and unobtanium! Simply post a link to a source you like in this thread and I'll add it to this post as a quick reference guide. There are no guidelines for posting - just keep it informational and interesting.

1001 Sci-fi Weapons

Atomic Rocket

Concept Ships

Death Rays

Evil Overlord Tips

Lifeboat Foundation

Orbital Vector

Orion's Arm

SCP Foundation

Stargazers to Starships Image

Starship Dimensions

Tau Zero Foundation Image

Universal Atlas

Special thanks to the contributors so far: Aldaris, Edouard, and Wayne Nylund!

Ender Wiggin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Resources

Postby Ender Wiggin » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 05:46

I am in awe.

Aldaris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Aldaris » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 09:43

Terra6 wrote:I prowl the night in a plastic suit.
Wanye Nylund wrote:Oort Cloud is flooded. Do you want to ford the river, or wait?
Guilty Spark wrote:The more oestrogen you take, the more vaginas you grow.
Red Dame
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [BIKRS]
Galaxy: Delta

Postby Red Dame » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 13:49

I absolutely and completely love this site, thank you for sharing it!

"That's it. I'm done reasoning with you. Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing." - GLaDOS
Arieg
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Arieg » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 20:49

Oh my god Aldaris what have you done! ALL IS LOST!

Guilty Spark wrote:Nationalistic insults are being fired around like some kind of internets western shootout.
Aldaris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Aldaris » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 20:50

Red Dame wrote:
I absolutely and completely love this site, thank you for sharing it!
Uuuuh...
Oops.

Terra6 wrote:I prowl the night in a plastic suit.
Wanye Nylund wrote:Oort Cloud is flooded. Do you want to ford the river, or wait?
Guilty Spark wrote:The more oestrogen you take, the more vaginas you grow.
Wayne Nylund
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Wayne Nylund » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 11:02

Just stumbled across this site, the Tau Zero Foundation, seems a good candidate for addition to our resources list. Its a well designed and good looking site, offering a good introduction on subjects relevant to interstellar travel and long term sustainability, subjects we've all discussed at some point, though we could always use an organized central repository.

I seem to recall hearing of this site and group a while back, not sure if it was one of the RP regulars, but if so, here is my belated thanks for sharing.

"The Tau Zero Foundation is a volunteer group of scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, and writers who have agreed to work together toward practical interstellar flight and to use this quest to teach you about science, technology, and our place in the universe. By posting the latest developments and unfinished advancements here, we give students the starting materials to begin their own discoveries. By showing both how daunting and incredible this challenge is, we hope to increase attention on protecting the habitability of Earth while planning journeys into the galaxy. By reaching for the stars we will create benefits every step of the way."

"The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it." - Jamie Zawinski
Canaris
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Canaris » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 21:21

Another nice one from Wayne.

I'm only sorry it took me so long to add it to the list...

Édouard
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: Panzer

Postby Édouard » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 20:32

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Smap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stargazers to Starships

A very impressive, VERY thorough online do-it-yourself course on pretty much everything space, courtesy of NASA. From the basics of astronomy to more advanced orbital mechanics, and even some chapters on astrophysics. If you expect to have a good 2 weeks with lots of periods of nothing to do, it's worth attempting.

Canaris
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Canaris » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 07:15

Added. Good read, Ed! Nice contribution.

Danilov

Postby Danilov » Thu 16 Dec, 2010 19:16

Thank you for the links. It seems to be fairly reliable at a glance but who knows.

bart416
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: A far fetched naming scheme.

Postby bart416 » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 23:35

Édouard wrote:http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Smap.htm

Stargazers to Starships

A very impressive, VERY thorough online do-it-yourself course on pretty much everything space, courtesy of NASA. From the basics of astronomy to more advanced orbital mechanics, and even some chapters on astrophysics. If you expect to have a good 2 weeks with lots of periods of nothing to do, it's worth attempting.
Since we're onto the subject it seems. If you want to learn about orbital mechanics I advice reading "Orbital mechanics for engineering students" by H.D. Curtis. Goes into a lot of detail but still a fairly light read compared to most books on the subject cause of the graphical representation of most of the problems. And cause it's an engineering approach and not physics it also looks at the practical problems instead of just giving the mathematical treatment. Another nice fact is that this book contains a nice review of basic mechanics.

<Kaeru> nerds. we're epic.
<bart416> stfu Mercury :P
<Elmnt80> Thats hydrargyrum to you bart416
Space Gein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Space Gein » Sun 29 Jan, 2012 19:50

I love the evil overlord list some of the reasons why The Venture Bros. is my favorite show particularly relevant to the Monarch and the Guild of Calamitous Intent. proof that if you intentionally and intelligently follow the cliches it can be alot of fun!
good clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4PdpfI7zY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eICyqjtsizo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture- ... licts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liam777 wrote: rib do you believe in odin?
Space Man
Guild: EAA
Galaxy: Mira

Postby Space Man » Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:15

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/ yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait when they build this.. They could build smaller ones for 10-30 people inside and make more of them, so in space they could combine in bigger ship, but probably the moon will be reachagain in 2024, and mars somewhere 2034-2035

Return to “Role-Play”