Quick Hits by Judicator

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quick Hits by Judicator

Postby xJudicatorx » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 21:12

I'm using this post as a database for small guides to refer people to in the future. The idea is to eventually have several dozen quick explanations that I can quote rather than constantly re-typing them.

I've seen a rich man beg; I've seen a good man sin; I've seen a tough man cry.
I've sen a loser win and a sad man grin; I've heard an honest man lie.
Mostly Harmless AE page on facebook
xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Quick Hits by Judicator

Postby xJudicatorx » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 21:12

Quick Guide: The "Mobile"
You've probably learned that a certain amount of fleet is necessary to defend you trade routes as you've played the game. If you don't have enough, someone will fighter drop your fleet and take your trades without engaging your base defenses. If you have too much, it makes the base profitable no matter how many defenses you put up, or how low your base econ is.
So we find a sweet spot of 5k-10k fleet which remains on each base, and any additional fleet goes into your "Mobile." This is the fleet you you use to attack profitable targets, as well as defend your bases from a central location. Most guilds keep all fleets in a central location called a "Blob", where the active players can protect those that are offline.

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 21:19

Quick Guide: "Specs" (fleet specification)
The best attack ratios are usually obtained by using one type of fleet and ignoring the others. This also allows you to focus on the technology for that particular unit and ignore other technology, so that a small amount of tech can still give you a great deal of combat strength. So when someone asks what spec you are, or tells you to focus more on your spec, that is what they mean.
Changing specs can be a tedious process, and involves a lot of wasted tech investment, so it is good to pick one early on and stick to it. Each has its pros and cons, and they often are stronger at different points in the development of a server.
For more information, check out my Basic Guide to Fleet Specs.

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 21:30

Quick Guide: Credit/Econ ratio (or credit/production ratio)
How do the best players decide which construction to go with next? When should I build my next base? Is it the right time to swap over to long distance trades?
All of these are answered by the Credit/Econ ratio.
Credits that you have to invest to build/buy something = C
Econ (or production) gained by this investment = E
C/E = ®
® is the Credit/Econ ratio. The lower ® is, the better the investment is. So take the easy investments, and save the expensive investments for later. By doing this, you can grow your account faster than your neighbors.

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 06:14

SEWI wrote:dumb stronghold dependency on others who fail play.....if you want to play for real.....you will want several good specs.....unless you go for a pure fighterdrop offcoarse....keep your nonsense of the forums.

The idea that someone should multi-spec is a common misconception. No matter what spec you build, and what spec you want to attack or defend against, the ultimate key to victory is amount of fleet. Enough Fighters will destroy a HC fleet for amazing ratios. Enouch HCs will get outstanding ratios against Frigates. If you have 7 different fleets of different specifications, that means most players will have 7 times as much fleet as you at any given place, and you'll never have enough of any one particular type to use effectively. Not to mention, you'll have to level up 5 different weapon techs.

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 23:13

Quick Guide: Stronghold theory
Construction in AE is based on the tension between raising economy for a good account and raising defenses to avoid losing that economy to an attack. But what if you never had to worry about being attacked? If no one could ever attack your bases, you could theoretically not have any defenses at all and a stunning economy. These are the basic principles of Stronghold Theory.
How this is usually accomplished is by planning where a guild will start ahead of time. However, it is possible that a group of random players could meet in the galaxy and form their own guild. Because there are always bound to be people in the galaxy who are not part of this pact, standard practice is to cripple their accounts at any cost. If you are gaining millions of credits by having a stronghold, why balk at a few hundred lost to maintain it? Another threat to this way of life is, of course, invasion by other guilds from outside of your galaxy. They might try to sneak in, or they might come in force, and each of those is combated in different ways which I will discuss another time.

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Tue 07 Aug, 2018 01:01

Quick Guide: Recall Traps
As you probably know, ships in AE cannot change course while in flight with one exception - they can turn around and go right back to where they started from. Once that recall option is used, no further changes are available. This can be used to your advantage because fleets cannot move for 5 seconds or attack for 3 seconds after landing. This means that no fleet is completely safe, even if the player is active at the time.
Setting it up: Obviously, scanners are crucial in finding fleet to recall trap. Once you know that a fleet is in the air, you can set up the trap for it. Try to guess where it launched from based on flight times or previous known locations. Don't launch to the landing point until the last moment to avoid tipping them off to recall before you can set the trap up. Save the fleet URL (e.g. http://typhon.astroempires.com/fleet.aspx?fleet=406 ) as a note and/or by keeping it open in a separate tab. Once the player is alerted to the danger, they may recall immediately, or they may wait until the last moment to buy more time. They might even take the risk of landing and trying to re-launch if they know that the trap is already in place. Assuming they recall, reload the fleet URL to gain hints of its new destination and/or check places where you suspect it might have originated from. Remember that fleet detection times work here too - if the recall is a long one, you might not see the fleet at all yet. Finally, if they are landing on their own base, make sure to occupy the base first, allowing you to hit the fleet without also engaging the defenses at the same time.
Avoiding it: Using small jumps and breaking your fleet into smaller fleets to move will help reduce detection times. If you think the enemy knows your launch point or fleet ID already, make sure to leave a single unit behind with that fleet ID, or even send the last unit to a different location to throw off pursuit. Always send your recyclers in a separate Fleet, a few minutes behind your combat units. Otherwise, you may be forced to recall from a weaker enemy to avoid losing recyclers, only to find a much larger force waiting at your launch point.

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”