Defense Guide 2.0 (Early + Late Game)

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

The_AnkLe_BiTeR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Defense Ships and Turrets, The Up And Downs (Now Completed)

Postby The_AnkLe_BiTeR » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 09:38

prings= easy kills with out PS.

It only takes about 430 crs to 1 shot each level of pring. Where as it takes 2700 to 1 shot a level of PS ( your milage will varry by tech levels.)

TimNeilson wrote:
hell, you'd better hope your guild can protect you from TAB.

Dark Zero wrote:TAB won this argument a long time ago, There's no use in arguing any further.
Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: E: [SiN]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Cabbage » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 12:47

The_AnkLe_BiTeR wrote:prings= easy kills with out PS.

It only takes about 430 crs to 1 shot each level of pring. Where as it takes 2700 to 1 shot a level of PS ( your milage will varry by tech levels.)

p-rings just decrease how much profit is given in a base ...

I don't think someone would hit a 5/5 p-ring base with no fleet expecting a 100k Pillage ...

its about 60k Loss per level of p-ring

TimNeilson
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: [Odd]/[BOB]

Postby TimNeilson » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 14:54

Cabbage wrote:

I don't think someone would hit a 5/5 p-ring base with no fleet expecting a 100k Pillage ...

what game are you playing? you only need to take about 35-40k fleet losses per level of ring.

[Odd] (Aiel) Tehol Beddict
GM of Odd

Guitar Man wrote:Tim Neilson:

Savior Of The Internet.

EVERYTHING I SAY REPRESENTS THE VIEWS OF MY GUILD.

THIS IS NOT A RESTAURANT
The_AnkLe_BiTeR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby The_AnkLe_BiTeR » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 20:16

For me its between 31-38k to take out each ring depending on tech.

TimNeilson wrote:
hell, you'd better hope your guild can protect you from TAB.

Dark Zero wrote:TAB won this argument a long time ago, There's no use in arguing any further.
The Free One
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: A: LUE
B: ASLAN
E: KOVvV
F: SAC
Galaxy: Alpha

Re:

Postby The Free One » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:18

Flayer wrote:5/5 Barracks has the same value as 5 Corvettes, completely worthless. There only possible use is to stop scout tapping on a new base but there are many better ways to do that than build Barracks. Anything below Ion is worthless really.

You can get Ion tech fairly easily within your first 7 days on AE so those should be the lowest turrets you ever build really.

Barracks are actually a good defense for brand new bases if you can not spare a fleet to defend your base. I have had a set of 5/5 Barracks protect one of my bases, now let me tell you, that is the most awesome feeling when you beat an attacking fleet with barracks lol.

Sorry for necro

Rabid Parrots wrote:
The Free One is the first poster in FR that leaves me with no sarcastic and/or smart *beep* comments to be made. That is indeed a feat.
Twin Blade
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: PPD
Galaxy: Nova

Re: Re:

Postby Twin Blade » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:21

The Free One wrote:
Flayer wrote:5/5 Barracks has the same value as 5 Corvettes, completely worthless. There only possible use is to stop scout tapping on a new base but there are many better ways to do that than build Barracks. Anything below Ion is worthless really.

You can get Ion tech fairly easily within your first 7 days on AE so those should be the lowest turrets you ever build really.

Barracks are actually a good defense for brand new bases if you can not spare a fleet to defend your base. I have had a set of 5/5 Barracks protect one of my bases, now let me tell you, that is the most awesome feeling when you beat an attacking fleet with barracks lol.

Sorry for necro

not rly necro since its a guide.

SilverKnight wrote:The usual scenario is the “pro” player does a mediocre base hit, then plants the entire mobile on the base in an attempt to make the noob faint at the size of his penis.
QDThrawn
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby QDThrawn » Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:35

i don,t think, its good idea to make such a one sided tutorial...

Personally i wouldn,t and i didn,t build anything below disruptor...

Also, there is a very important line everyone should take in his mind: always compare how much the defense cost(area, energy, research included and time you would use for moe eco/prod), and the credits you can lose if they attack you and your supposedly empty cash bank.

[Hunx]Executor
Creul
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Creul » Sun 14 Sep, 2008 19:38

TimNeilson wrote:
Cabbage wrote:

what game are you playing? you only need to take about 35-40k fleet losses per level of ring.

i can take a 10/10 ring base with no fleet above for 50-55k loss.. and im only in the top 2k for tech

javcs
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [U.F.P]
Galaxy: Ceti

Postby javcs » Sun 14 Sep, 2008 20:25

Creul wrote:
TimNeilson wrote:
Cabbage wrote:

i can take a 10/10 ring base with no fleet above for 50-55k loss.. and im only in the top 2k for tech

It varies, depending on tech and specific fleet mixture. I tend to lowball the losses when calculating what I need for my defenses.

If I used a word that you don't know what it means ... look it up in a dictionary.
Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: E: [SiN]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Cabbage » Sun 14 Sep, 2008 22:02

javcs wrote:It varies, depending on tech and specific fleet mixture. I tend to lowball the losses when calculating what I need for my defenses.

Well .. when I hit my first rings on Epsilon with a slight difference *+/- 1 armour* I got

39000:0 on rings

FT's + Vettes + De's + CR's

When I said 60k:0 it was only an estimate ... its mainly based on tech

Twin Blade
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: PPD
Galaxy: Nova

Postby Twin Blade » Sat 20 Sep, 2008 23:49

QDThrawn wrote:i don,t think, its good idea to make such a one sided tutorial...

Personally i wouldn,t and i didn,t build anything below disruptor...

Also, there is a very important line everyone should take in his mind: always compare how much the defense cost(area, energy, research included and time you would use for moe eco/prod), and the credits you can lose if they attack you and your supposedly empty cash bank.

TBH this guide was made when the highest player was around level 65.

SilverKnight wrote:The usual scenario is the “pro” player does a mediocre base hit, then plants the entire mobile on the base in an attempt to make the noob faint at the size of his penis.
Apocryphite
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: B: Mordor
E: Bloodlines

Postby Apocryphite » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 20:59

Twin Blade wrote:Planetary Shield
One of the best defenses, by themselves they can stop fighter drops, they can also stop a single dread, perhaps 2 or 3 if you have good tech. (That would also include Fighters in hangers) If your pshield is nicely teched it should also be able to stop a titan if you have fleet and CC's on your planet(s).
Generally for all lv's past 30

The P-shield in itself doesn't stop anything... What it essentially does is that an attacker needs a bigger fleet to do the attack optimally. A P-shield on its own can be taken down without losses.

TehJar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby TehJar » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 16:46

Apocryphite wrote:
Twin Blade wrote:Planetary Shield
One of the best defenses, by themselves they can stop fighter drops, they can also stop a single dread, perhaps 2 or 3 if you have good tech. (That would also include Fighters in hangers) If your pshield is nicely teched it should also be able to stop a titan if you have fleet and CC's on your planet(s).
Generally for all lv's past 30

The P-shield in itself doesn't stop anything... What it essentially does is that an attacker needs a bigger fleet to do the attack optimally. A P-shield on its own can be taken down without losses.

Not entirely true, a pshield prevents frigate attacks by shield raping them. Since frigates are the optimal unit for killing rings (they puncture ring shields nicely, other stellars don't), that's pretty significant.

It almost makes it a lot less practical to use massive fighters to kill the rings, which is possible for the larger players on servers after a certain age.

Anything I say on the forums is my personal opinion, I'm not here as a member of my guild.
ElfLeaderMike
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby ElfLeaderMike » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 17:12

TehJar wrote:It almost makes it a lot less practical to use massive fighters to kill the rings, which is possible for the larger players on servers after a certain age.

Not really. If you hit a ringed base with mass fighters, enough to one-shot occ it, you will only lose around 8 fighters for every level of shields. But when you don't have enough units to one-shot the base, it becomes bad because prings sap 'Health' from the pshields after every attack.

TimNeilson
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: [Odd]/[BOB]

Postby TimNeilson » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 17:40

Emperor_Jackal wrote:
TehJar wrote:It almost makes it a lot less practical to use massive fighters to kill the rings, which is possible for the larger players on servers after a certain age.

Not really. If you hit a ringed base with mass fighters, enough to one-shot occ it, you will only lose around 8 fighters for every level of shields. But when you don't have enough units to one-shot the base, it becomes bad because prings sap 'Health' from the pshields after every attack.

that's why he's saying it makes it less practical. it takes about 500k fighters to one-shot a level of PS, iirc.

[Odd] (Aiel) Tehol Beddict
GM of Odd

Guitar Man wrote:Tim Neilson:

Savior Of The Internet.

EVERYTHING I SAY REPRESENTS THE VIEWS OF MY GUILD.

THIS IS NOT A RESTAURANT

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”