Defense Guide 2.0 (Early + Late Game)

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

SilverKnight
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: Royal
Galaxy: Pegasus

Re: Defense Ships and Turrets, The Up And Downs (Now Complet

Postby SilverKnight » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:27

http://silverknight1966.blogspot.com/20 ... rrets.html

Here is what I would tell new people about turrets, including Command centers.

You guys can read it and help me refine it.

http://silverknight1966.blogspot.com/
http://silverknightonae.tumblr.com
In before lock doesn't count when you are the one asking for it :neutral2: -Themis
FasterThanLight
Guild: Mandalorian Mercenaries
Galaxy: Lyra

Postby FasterThanLight » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 21:45

@ OP - Thanks for the advice and information it will certainly come in useful! I have read it a few times (as a guest member) and finally decided it was about I joined and said thanks so here I am :)

FTL.
Last edited by FasterThanLight on Wed 28 Mar, 2012 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 22:31

SilverKnight wrote:http://silverknight1966.blogspot.com/2011/12/astro-empires-turrets.html

Here is what I would tell new people about turrets, including Command centers.

You guys can read it and help me refine it.

This is like the 3rd time I've seen a link to this... and it still has all the same flaws it did the first time.

Twin Blade
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: PPD
Galaxy: Nova

Re: Defense Guide 2.0 (Early + Late Game)

Postby Twin Blade » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 20:15

updated

SilverKnight wrote:The usual scenario is the “pro” player does a mediocre base hit, then plants the entire mobile on the base in an attempt to make the noob faint at the size of his penis.
SilverKnight
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: Royal
Galaxy: Pegasus

Postby SilverKnight » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 00:34

Plasma turrets are only built by players who fail math.

Plasmas cost 5 times as much as the missile turret, providing 1.5 times the fire power and 2 times the armour based on normal tech researching.

My own assessment of the turrets :

Barracks (worthless)
Laser (worthless x2)
Missile (worth it early, and new bases to keep off random scout taps)
Plasma (worthless X20)
Ion (once you got these, scrap the missiles and the plasmas you foolishly wasted credits on)
Photons (not that impressive)
Disruptors (useful early to keep off the randoms)
Rings (useful to keep off randoms won't stop a determined opponent)

http://silverknight1966.blogspot.com/
http://silverknightonae.tumblr.com
In before lock doesn't count when you are the one asking for it :neutral2: -Themis
Naftal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Naftal » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 14:04

SilverKnight wrote:Plasma turrets are only built by players who fail math.

Plasmas cost 5 times as much as the missile turret, providing 1.5 times the fire power and 2 times the armour based on normal tech researching.

Barracks (worthless)
Laser (worthless x2)
Plasma (worthless X20)
Ion (once you got these, scrap the missiles and the plasmas you foolishly wasted credits on)

Plasma turrets have only 1.5 times the armour compared to missiles, so they're even worse than you described. :P

Photons are very good early on if your enemies use a lot of FTs.

Twin Blade
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: PPD
Galaxy: Nova

Postby Twin Blade » Tue 27 Nov, 2012 17:33

SilverKnight wrote:Plasma turrets are only built by players who fail math.

Barracks (worthless)
Laser (worthless x2)
Plasma (worthless X20)

agreed.

SilverKnight wrote:The usual scenario is the “pro” player does a mediocre base hit, then plants the entire mobile on the base in an attempt to make the noob faint at the size of his penis.
Doctor Greenthumb

Postby Doctor Greenthumb » Thu 07 Feb, 2013 18:35

For the new player, turrets might seem to be a good choice. While a couple levels of the best defense available is needed to diminish the effectiveness of fighters/bombers (yes some people still use bombers of all types), I have found through experience that regardless of the amount of defense one might have on a base it will never be enough to stop an attack. So stop worrying about being attacked (because it is bound to happen more than once), build a couple missile turrets (3 or 4 levels is cost effective up to about a base econ of 50 during the first week of play), tech up to dizzies (get these ASAP, shoot for by the end of week 3 - it can be done if you don't waste time and creds on any other defense and technology research) and build a couple levels of those, scrap the missile turrets, install 1 level of deflector shields and build a million fighter mobile comprised of your chosen spec. Once this is complete it should be right around the start of the early late game and it will be time to think about some prings and dreadnoughts for ideal base defense. I say skip ions and photons in favor of applying credits toward better turrets and as much fleet as you can produce based on a 1.5k - 2k production capacity and having 2.5k econ with which you can blow those extra 500 - 1k creds on whatever suits your fancy. But the best bet still is to have a gigantic amount of fleet with special focus paid to the specific techs for the given units.

slayerr
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby slayerr » Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:52

plasma turrets have their very rare time for usage. There can and sometimes is a period of time in a contested galaxy situation in which(granted you have an appropriate amount of spare credits on hand due to enough hits being made early on) your bases have reached an amount of MT's per that makes plasmas the next cost efficient option, some short but critical time before you reach ions :q

It does all depend on situationals. I've never really had the right opportunity to have to do this, but have thought about it before. The thing is there's almost always something better to spend it on even during these highly unique situations. I mean it really depends on the quality of player you're fighting in your gal the first few days. If you seriously think there's the potential of them anal'ing you even with like 15-20 mt + pro ft layer, then it might be worth thinking about. But at that point it can't be very profitable for them anyway ; o

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”