7 Days, Now What? Your Guide to the Second Week

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Quasar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 7 Days, Now What? Your Guide to the Second Week

Postby Quasar » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 07:13

Hmm... I may have to edit the guide if snaplinks is no longer kosher :scared: I have asked for some clarification on the issue.

However, I hope that the admins will allow snaplinks. It is a publicly accessible tool available to anyone, and makes a significant contribution to AE by eliminating the tedium associated with clicking several dozen times just to see what's in a region. We all want AE to be a fun, successful game, and I think snaplinks contributes to it.

I do understand the concern that new players not using snaplinks would be disadvantaged... but its a free tool that, if they are paying attention/talking with older players/reading this forum they will be made aware of. Attempts to ensure equality should not reduce things to the lowest-common-denominator.

With that said, I will of course make an edit if needed, and will accept whatever the judgment of the admins happens to be.

Edit: Xaman confirms snaplinks is now illegal :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:. Guide updated.

My posts appear a little naked without some yellow at the bottom.
Deathwalk
Guild: WLz.

In game name: KING.
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby Deathwalk » Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:29

Wait Snaplinks is illegal? Can we get a dev post and news on this please?

I read this link - downloaded mozilla especially for snaplinks and have been using it. Today I thankfully stumbled into a link that brought me back here - and may be I wont get banned for using it till today.

But snaplinks is so useful imo - try clicking through ALL the links in a page one by one :scared:

Actually, Dev's - before posting, can you PLEASE PLEASE reconsider this? Or at least make it acceptable for upgraded players - I am not paying money to get RSI :(

Cabbage
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: E: [SiN]

Postby Cabbage » Fri 10 Oct, 2008 16:36

Deathwalk wrote:Wait Snaplinks is illegal? Can we get a dev post and news on this please?

I read this link - downloaded mozilla especially for snaplinks and have been using it. Today I thankfully stumbled into a link that brought me back here - and may be I wont get banned for using it till today.

But snaplinks is so useful imo - try clicking through ALL the links in a page one by one :scared:

Actually, Dev's - before posting, can you PLEASE PLEASE reconsider this? Or at least make it acceptable for upgraded players - I am not paying money to get RSI :(

Snaplinks make it far too easy to scout ...

It takes about about 10 ? seconds? 20 seconds? to open a new region into tabs

It's not like it really helps out the people ... it takes only a few extra seconds to scout.

Quasar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Quasar » Sat 11 Oct, 2008 18:27

Cabbage wrote:
Deathwalk wrote:Wait Snaplinks is illegal? Can we get a dev post and news on this please?

Snaplinks make it far too easy to scout ...

It takes about about 10 ? seconds? 20 seconds? to open a new region into tabs

It's not like it really helps out the people ... it takes only a few extra seconds to scout.

:eh: Um... of course its helpful. 20 seconds (and that's a pretty low-ball estimate) might not be much, but when you have to scout a dozen regions or more snaplinks becomes a miracle worker. I'm not happy that I now have to waste time on tedious button-pushing when I could have just drawn a box and been done with it.

My posts appear a little naked without some yellow at the bottom.
Deathwalk
Guild: WLz.

In game name: KING.

Postby Deathwalk » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 03:23

I agree with Quasar - it looks like an unwanted blocker - and even when I just ctrl. click the links, I don't take much time.

Thinking about it, I don't think it is that hard to develop a snap links version that will open links one by one with random timeout in between - which will exactly resemble ctrl-clicking.

I don't see the point of that line in TOS is all I am saying.

Bobman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Galaxy: Mira

Postby Bobman » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:49

I'm currently following the guide, it's great, the only problem is, my level is rising too quickly for me to attack, this bloody new level protection thing pisses me off.

Ming

Postby Ming » Thu 19 Sep, 2013 15:41

After following Quasar's 10-bases-in-7-days tutorial with great success, I've been trying to bone-up on the art of war in AE.

A lot of the documents in this section get awfully technical awfully quickly. This one is the best of the lot by far, at least for a second-week player like me.

However, there are still some basic terms here whose meaning I can only guess at. What exactly are "shieldrape" and "drop", and how does one do them?

Ming the Newbie, Assistant Manager of Mongo
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Thu 19 Sep, 2013 18:07

A drop is when you calculate precisely the number of units you need to kill certain groups of ships in the enemy fleet to soften the fleet up for your (or another player's) main spec to hit it for crazy awesome ratios, and then you "drop" (move your fleet onto his position, and move everything but that precise number of that specific unit away before attacking) him, hope your calcs were correct (or at least close to correct--if both fleets involved are hueg a few leftovers here and there don't really matter). Example: Dropping just enough fighters to clear the unshielded ships from a fleet, before finishing with cruisers+fighters.

Shieldrape is hitting ships with weak power using ships that have higher shields, i.e. whose shields are greater than (or almost greater than) the tech modified power of the ships they are attacking. In such a case, 99% of the damage is absorbed by the shields, so while you'll still lose a few units when hitting large fleets this way, you lose a lot less than you would have with another tactic. Example: Hitting a giant recycler fleet with heavy cruisers.

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”