New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven Days

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Re: New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven

Postby Wlerin » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 05:52

Isis32 wrote:
Quasar wrote:You want an astro with at least 3 solar energy, 5 fertility, and 3 metal. We’ll cover those subjects more thoroughly in a minute, but if your starting base isn’t up to par then delete your account and start a new one, and repeat the process until things work out. Then carry on with what is below.
what if I do not have, for example, 3 metal refineries ..but let's say I have 2 (ha ha) as an example; should I relog until I get those minimum amounts?
Are you talking about metal as in the resource, or about metal refineries, the structure? If the former, that's really up to you. If it's your first time playing, a rocky first or second position will give you the smoothest start. Especially now, that you're starting late and there isn't much competition for rockies. If you were starting on a new server, it's better to start asap than restart a bunch of times to get a metal 3 you might never obtain.

(Advanced Tip: In addition to metal, also take into account the positioning of your starting astro, what good astros are visible in the same region, and the time (it's best to start just after the hour, in order to get the most economy out of your first hour) when deciding whether to restart or not.)
Isis32 wrote:and question 2 (guarantee I will have more later): about the construction queue.. is that a typo or do you want me to click, in that above order, metal refin, metal refin, solar plant, metal refinery, than urban structure? ..so they are listed in that order.. does it matter?
Entire threads have been written about ideal build order, and this thread was written before the boost to base construction which makes it possible to build more before the first hour ends, so what it says is a little outdated. Basically you want to finish as many metal refineries as possible plus one spaceport before the first hour ends, and the space port you want to finish with enough time for you to find and start a trade route, again before said hour ends.

As for plants and urban structures, only build them when the game demands you do so. Between solar and gas plants, only build the best one.

Isis32
Galaxy: Omega

Postby Isis32 » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 14:27

thanks Wlerin, I have figured much out already but I do appreciate your time and reply!

OMGoodness.. trade route in motion by the end of the first hour?!! lol, I'm in day2 and still have no luck there..

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 20:16

Well, it's easier if you start at the same time as a bunch of other people in the same galaxy...

But even if you don't, put a priority on getting a TR up, it's a huge econ boost.

Isis32
Galaxy: Omega

Postby Isis32 » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 00:54

Wlerin wrote:Well, it's easier if you start at the same time as a bunch of other people in the same galaxy...
You make it sound like everyone is aware of others around them. What if you are a new player..? how would you know, or have any idea, when everyone is starting? :lol:
although I have already gotten the impression that some of the 'new players' are not so new in fact; so my guess is a lot of players restart and/or are multis perhaps (yes, I would hope to mean in various servers).

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 00:59

I'm speaking primarily of new servers, like, the day they open. If you're starting later staying ahead of the pack isn't really possible. One thing you can do later on, though, is divert a few credits to unlock recyclers and look around for unattended debris piles.

Ming

Re: Protection rules

Postby Ming » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:22

Quasar wrote:Players with level<10 - Player bases can’t be attacked.
Players with level>=10 and Level<20 - Bases can only be attacked by players within 5 levels difference.
Players with level>=20 and level<30 - Bases can only be attacked by a player within 10 levels difference.
Does "Players with level ..." refer to the defender or to the attacker?

Is there no protection for players over level 30?

Do protection rules apply to attacks on a base's occupier (rather than the base's owner)?

Ming the Newbie, Assistant Manager of Mongo
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Re: Protection rules

Postby Wlerin » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 19:30

It applies to the owner of the base. And no, there is no protection for players over level 30.

Ming

Postby Ming » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 00:26

It should also be noted that a player who would otherwise be under protection can forfeit it temporarily by attacking the fleet of another player above a certain level, even if the defending fleet is not at a base owned by the defending player.
The attacker is at least 5 levels below the defender, this aggression removes his newbie protection for 48 hours.
I understand the allowed level difference is larger (10 levels) when the attacker's level is higher (> 20?).

I also understand that this suspension of protection does not apply when attacking occupying units at your own base. Does this exemption also apply at the base of a fellow guild member?

Ming the Newbie, Assistant Manager of Mongo
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 02:58

Ming wrote:It should also be noted that a player who would otherwise be under protection can forfeit it temporarily by attacking the fleet of another player above a certain level, even if the defending fleet is not at a base owned by the defending player.
The attacker is at least 5 levels below the defender, this aggression removes his newbie protection for 48 hours.
http://omega.astroempires.com/help.aspx?show=newbies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If a protected player attacks others over the protection level outside his bases he loses his protection for 48 hours.
I understand the allowed level difference is larger (10 levels) when the attacker's level is higher (> 20?).
The allowed level difference is the same as described in your first quote and in the help documentation, i.e. +0 for < 10, +5 for 10-19.99, +10 for 20-29.99. If they can normally attack his bases, he can attack their fleets (and their bases) without losing protection.
I also understand that this suspension of protection does not apply when attacking occupying units at your own base. Does this exemption also apply at the base of a fellow guild member?
The bases of any other player, whether guild member or not, count as "outside his bases", and thus he could only attack a player over his protection level there if he chooses to forfeit protection.

Dysfunctional
Galaxy: Pegasus

Postby Dysfunctional » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 11:59

What should I have built by the end of Account Day 1 (Day 2 in this guide) if I want to stand a decent chance at completing it?

Soren

Postby Soren » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 20:41

what can I do if no one in my region is active or there just isnt anyone else ? in regards to trade routes ?

Thanks for the help,

Dr Rush
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: A~[{V}]

Postby Dr Rush » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 21:17

1. Look in regions next to yours
2. Post your trades on your guild's trade board
3. Spam people on the attacking side of the ticker asking them to post or fill
4.?????
5.Profit!

Yes, I'm a *beep* get over it.
Retired: TM for ICO on A, Deputy GM of PRIV on K, OCM for SHANK on L, GM of PRIV on M
Help New players! Contribute to this thread.
SilverKnight
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Beta

Postby SilverKnight » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 19:29

I started making illustrations for a reboot of this guide.

Won't change the content of the text. Just adding pictures.

http://silverknight1966.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://silverknightonae.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In before lock doesn't count when you are the one asking for it :neutral2: -Themis
Breech Loader

Re: New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven Days

Postby Breech Loader » Thu 07 Apr, 2016 00:48

I've only managed to get one trade route so far. I hate that people don't reply.

One of the things you should do in your first few days is as soon as you have that corvette, is to scout all eight of the surrounding sectors. It's not as fast as real scout ships but it'll give you an idea of where you want your next bases to be. Once you've got your first three bases and some factory research under your belt, then you don't have to be such a perfectionist about terrain, as long as you pick things with either 4 or 5 Energy.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Re: New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven Days

Postby Wlerin » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 07:25

Breech Loader wrote:...then you don't have to be such a perfectionist about terrain, as long as you pick things with either 4 or 5 Energy.
No. You're not looking far enough ahead.

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”