New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven Days

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Aliens from Mars
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: Forever USSV
A2: Inc
Galaxy: Delta

Re: New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven

Postby Aliens from Mars » Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:37

And the extra econ will put him over lvl 30 and he'll get occ'd and then quit. Your point is?

Because my point is quite clearly: I bet you a one month upgrade he doesn't last around more than 2 months in this game at a reasonably competitive level.

Sandor/FBB: i logged iff placesn fine from 3 diff places in uk (< classic sandy!)

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 00:14

Then why are you even bothering to comment?

Aliens from Mars
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: Forever USSV
A2: Inc
Galaxy: Delta

Postby Aliens from Mars » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:06

???

I was trying to be helpful, take a chill pill brah.

Sandor/FBB: i logged iff placesn fine from 3 diff places in uk (< classic sandy!)

Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Nagel » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 13:05

Rocky Moon - 960 (1143) (27/12)
Crystalline Moon - 870 (1024) (27/12)

Says it all really. Multiply the difference and its even worse.

18 bases 2,142
19 bases 2,261
20 bases 2,380
21 bases 2,499
22 bases 2,618

In summary, Metal 2's suck.

SHLD GM
Qµeen Bruskie wrote:I was hoping you'd have enough sense to not be a retard. Too much credit I suppose.
DerekMessina

Postby DerekMessina » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 05:29

Awesome! Thanks for the guide. It was a very big help for me as a beginner. Appreciate it!

REVCubs

Postby REVCubs » Wed 21 Dec, 2011 06:56

hey mate, thats a great guide. I am an old AE player and i use it. :D lol, i just thought i would congratulate you on the excellent guide.
Thanks you,
Cubs.

takiwa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [XI] - Fenix
[WHAT] - Drako
Galaxy: Drako

Postby takiwa » Sat 24 Dec, 2011 17:11

nice guide, just thought I'd add a chart to make it a little easier for the new players to see a graphic of the planets/astros in their orbitals.

"...and takiwa, you're just amusement value" - Pegasus
DarkDay17
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby DarkDay17 » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 12:26

I would have to disagree with this chart. In another thread on Kappa P&W it was talked about the change in meta-game and in today's meta-game, if it isn't Metal 3 its no good. Prod is king in the newer servers and therefore Rocky > all and if you need a research base a Rocky Planet is the way to go.

Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Nagel » Sun 08 Jan, 2012 02:25

Rocky, Crater, Roid > All

Fixed

SHLD GM
Qµeen Bruskie wrote:I was hoping you'd have enough sense to not be a retard. Too much credit I suppose.
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Sun 08 Jan, 2012 02:36

Nagel wrote:Rocky, Metallic, Crater, Roid > All

Fixed

Also, from a different thread
Wlerin wrote:Planet > Moon

Rocky 1/2
Metallic/Craters 2/1 or Rocky 4/5
Asteroid 2/1
Metallic 4/5
Could probably stick Rocky 3's in there towards the end somewhere, but I haven't done any math.

Ugborg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: S3D
Galaxy: Beta

Postby Ugborg » Sun 08 Jan, 2012 05:17

After that point you're really not looking hard enough.

Or it doesn't matter.

Roger W. Ugborg
Vice President, Extramarital Affairs and Grocery Shopping
Otis, Inc.
takiwa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
[WHAT] - Drako

Postby takiwa » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 15:54

DarkDay17 wrote:I would have to disagree with this chart. In another thread on Kappa P&W it was talked about the change in meta-game and in today's meta-game, if it isn't Metal 3 its no good. Prod is king in the newer servers and therefore Rocky > all and if you need a research base a Rocky Planet is the way to go.
And I would have to disagree with your disagreement. I will pick a 1st/2nd orb Gaia over a Rocky any day for a research base. The extra area and fertility FAR outweigh having an extra metal, when you factor in the prices of the Rocky having to build advanced structures a lot sooner to keep up with the Gaia to support massive lab building. I'm not talking a mixed base here, 20 labs and 20 SYs, 10 ECs, with a few JGs thrown in for good measure, but rather a dedicated research astro.
Same thing applies somewhat to JG astros, although in the long run I would have to agree that the metal outweighs the extra energy, but I added it because those astros are still considered for this job.
Believe it or not, you still have quite a few people that play this game old school, and do quite well at it. Metal is a big deal, but it isn't everything, and not having a metal 3 rock doesn't mean you lose. That chart was meant to give the beginning player a visual reference of the OPs synopsis on what bases were good for what purposes, and I hope it serves its purpose for some.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 16:03

takiwa wrote:
DarkDay17 wrote:I would have to disagree with this chart. In another thread on Kappa P&W it was talked about the change in meta-game and in today's meta-game, if it isn't Metal 3 its no good. Prod is king in the newer servers and therefore Rocky > all and if you need a research base a Rocky Planet is the way to go.
And I would have to disagree with your disagreement. I will pick a 1st/2nd orb Gaia over a Rocky any day for a research base. The extra area and fertility FAR outweigh having an extra metal, when you factor in the prices of the Rocky having to build advanced structures a lot sooner to keep up with the Gaia to support massive lab building. I'm not talking a mixed base here, 20 labs and 20 SYs, 10 ECs, with a few JGs thrown in for good measure, but rather a dedicated research astro.
Same thing applies somewhat to JG astros, although in the long run I would have to agree that the metal outweighs the extra energy, but I added it because those astros are still considered for this job.
Believe it or not, you still have quite a few people that play this game old school, and do quite well at it. Metal is a big deal, but it isn't everything, and not having a metal 3 rock doesn't mean you lose. That chart was meant to give the beginning player a visual reference of the OPs synopsis on what bases were good for what purposes, and I hope it serves its purpose for some.
All astros should be production first, anything else second, so you shouldn't have a "dedicated research base". The lack of metal also means both labs and advanced structures take longer to build, so even though you don't need them as early you still lose out in the end. Use a base building calculator, there are several out there. Rocky > Gaia.

takiwa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
[WHAT] - Drako

Postby takiwa » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 17:40

Wlerin wrote:All astros should be production first, anything else second, so you shouldn't have a "dedicated research base". The lack of metal also means both labs and advanced structures take longer to build, so even though you don't need them as early you still lose out in the end. Use a base building calculator, there are several out there. Rocky > Gaia.
All your astros are production first, anything else second. Sucks that you can't force everyone to play a certain way over the internet, but that's how it is.

My research bases (and yes, I do have several dedicated) do have production on them, but it is secondary. I have dedicated production bases....and even a couple of dedicated JG bases as well. Funny that this didn't seem to stop me from having a top 100 account on Epsilon or Fenix.

If you would like to write another tutorial on the way you play the game in hopes of teaching the newer players a better way, then by all means do so. My chart simply expounded on what the OP said. I agree with his way of playing, I have done this for years and have never had an issue with rank, fleet, econ, or any other stats. If you don't agree with what was laid out in this tut, start a thread and explain why. Tell the newer guys why they should play your way. Make a pretty chart and post it. I will read it with an open mind.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 18:06

I doubt you've actually read the OP, since what I wrote is more or less exactly what it says. Maybe stated a little more strongly (as it should be).
Economic: Crystalline. These are best because you can build crystals mines on them, which are cheap way to boost your economy really fast. If Crystalline planets are not available, default to rocky. It should be noted that crystals are slow-growth bases that ultimately will not be able to pump fleet as fast as other astro types. That's why you should take at most two of them. The purposes of these bases is making money.

Production: Rocky. Craters or Metallic astros can be used in a pinch but look for rockies first.

---Production bases are intended to increase your production capacity; your ability to create a warfleet. In the future, you'll build lots of shipyards and a few orbital shipyards on these bases. To some degree, all of your bases should be production bases.

Research: Rocky bases are the best because they develop faster. Research bases will ultimately build at least 22 labs each, so area becomes a concern. Therefore, pick rocky planets; this is one of the cases in which the benefits to planets are seen rapidly. If rockies are unavailable, a two metal arid, tundra, or gaia astro is also acceptable, since they possess high fertility and area. You should plan on building labs on at least three of your first 10 bases.

---Research bases are pretty self-explanatory. Eventually you'll put a bunch of research labs on these bases.
All bases should ideally perform all tasks, as, for example, 10 level 10 Economy Centers are much cheaper than 5 level 20 Economy Centers. Labs are perhaps the only exception to this rule, and then only because of Tachy limits and lab level requirements.
Last edited by Wlerin on Fri 13 Jan, 2012 22:46, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”