New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven Days

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Ugborg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: S3D
Galaxy: Beta

Re: New & Improved: The Beginner's Guide to the First Seven

Postby Ugborg » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 22:41

takiwa wrote:
Wlerin wrote:All astros should be production first, anything else second, so you shouldn't have a "dedicated research base". The lack of metal also means both labs and advanced structures take longer to build, so even though you don't need them as early you still lose out in the end. Use a base building calculator, there are several out there. Rocky > Gaia.

All your astros are production first, anything else second. Sucks that you can't force everyone to play a certain way over the internet, but that's how it is.

My research bases (and yes, I do have several dedicated) do have production on them, but it is secondary. I have dedicated production bases....and even a couple of dedicated JG bases as well. Funny that this didn't seem to stop me from having a top 100 account on Epsilon or Fenix.

If you would like to write another tutorial on the way you play the game in hopes of teaching the newer players a better way, then by all means do so. My chart simply expounded on what the OP said. I agree with his way of playing, I have done this for years and have never had an issue with rank, fleet, econ, or any other stats. If you don't agree with what was laid out in this tut, start a thread and explain why. Tell the newer guys why they should play your way. Make a pretty chart and post it. I will read it with an open mind.

The increased construction you receive from metal 3 allows for you to construct research labs much faster than on a metal 2.

Roger W. Ugborg
Vice President, Extramarital Affairs and Grocery Shopping
Otis, Inc.
takiwa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [XI] - Fenix
[WHAT] - Drako
Galaxy: Drako

Postby takiwa » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:15

Ugborg wrote:The increased construction you receive from metal 3 allows for you to construct research labs much faster than on a metal 2.

No one disputes this, it's common sense. But the time spent on a Rocky having to build Terraforms, Multi-Level Platforms, Urban Structures, and Orbital Bases to build the same amount of Labs (not to mention the cost in credits of these structures) offsets the time lost from a 2 metal astro, in my opinion.

"...and takiwa, you're just amusement value" - Pegasus
Alvin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Alvin » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:32

Meh. All my bases are 3 metal and my tech isn't a bad rank. In a game where fleet > all why would you immediately put yourself at a disadvantage by building on a 2 metal astro (unless you didn't know any better when you started).

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:34

takiwa wrote:
Ugborg wrote:The increased construction you receive from metal 3 allows for you to construct research labs much faster than on a metal 2.

No one disputes this, it's common sense. But the time spent on a Rocky having to build Terraforms, Multi-Level Platforms, Urban Structures, and Orbital Bases to build the same amount of Labs (not to mention the cost in credits of these structures) offsets the time lost from a 2 metal astro, in my opinion.

The facts (the spreadsheets, the calculations, the math) say otherwise. Opinion be damned.

[I don't think that's filtered, is it filtered?]

takiwa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [XI] - Fenix
[WHAT] - Drako
Galaxy: Drako

Postby takiwa » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:42

Alvin wrote:Meh. All my bases are 3 metal and my tech isn't a bad rank. In a game where fleet > all why would you immediately put yourself at a disadvantage by building on a 2 metal astro (unless you didn't know any better when you started).

I like a challenge...this game is far too easy after 3 years :)

"...and takiwa, you're just amusement value" - Pegasus
Alvin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Alvin » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:47

Nothing at all wrong with that, end of the day it's your account. I just personally don't think players new to AE should be looking at that chart, when guides should be pushing them to get 3 metal astros, ideally 1 or 2 pos rockies. It gives them a slightly better chance of surviving in this game and keeping their interest (before it becomes an addicition) piqued

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 04:23

This needs to be above the 10 in 7 guide. :/

Shimmer

Postby Shimmer » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 12:59

Hmmm It's been a long while since I last played Astro But ain't Gas 3 Fert 5 Metal 3 also just as good starting planets?

Best Possible I think are Solar 4 Fert 5 3 metal or even the Fert 6 Solar 3 metal 3 one's

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:49

Shimmer wrote:Hmmm It's been a long while since I last played Astro But ain't Gas 3 Fert 5 Metal 3 also just as good starting planets?

Best Possible I think are Solar 4 Fert 5 3 metal or even the Fert 6 Solar 3 metal 3 one's

They work, I guess. Starting planet really doesn't matter if you know what you are doing. It's impossible to get a truly bad astro, as the only options are Rocky, Metallic, Tundra, Arid, and Earthly, if I remember correctly. You'll just have to be a little more active to make up for your starting deficiencies if you don't get a Rocky.

It's also possible that you can't start on a 4th/5th position... it's been a while, I really don't remember.

Shimmer

Postby Shimmer » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 22:33

Yew well Got a Rocky Moon with F5 S0 M3 G3 and yes it just as good as a solar 3 version so I think it should be added into the guide.

Also the best starting ones are F6 S3 M3 Rocks as the extra pop is a lot more useful as energy will get a decent boost soon as you start Energy Research

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 18:51

Shimmer wrote:Yew well Got a Rocky Moon with F5 S0 M3 G3 and yes it just as good as a solar 3 version so I think it should be added into the guide.

No, no it is not. A solar 3 Rocky also has 6 fertility. Outer rockies are equivalent to a Metallic with solar 3.

In case there's still any confusion: (The numbers are the position, starting from the left side of the solar system.)

Wlerin wrote:Planet > Moon

Rocky 1/2 [are better than]
Metallic/Craters 2/1 or Rocky 4/5 [which are better than]
Asteroid 2/1 and Metallic 4/5

Rocky 3 also belongs in there somewhere, probably in the second row.

Isis32
Galaxy: Omega

Postby Isis32 » Sat 31 Aug, 2013 16:41

Quasar wrote:New & Improved: The Beginner’s Guide to the First Seven Days

Hello there! If you are reading this, you have probably just started an account with AstroEmpires and are wondering how to begin. The following will take you step-by-step through your first week of galactic conquest. This approach is compatible with all current AstroEmpires rules. Other guides in these forums are good resources but recent gameplay changes make the approach described below the most effective.

Once you register, you are given a starting location, labeled “home planet.” (Its actually a moon, haha!) The first week in Astroempires is much more forgiving if you start with a good home. Click on “empire” and then “home planet.” Your little world appears, along with the following information:

Astro Type:
Terrain:
Area:
Solar Energy:
Fertility:
Metal:
Gas:
Crystals:

You want an astro with at least 3 solar energy, 5 fertility, and 3 metal. We’ll cover those subjects more thoroughly in a minute, but if your starting base isn’t up to par then delete your account and start a new one, and repeat the process until things work out. Then carry on with what is below.

----------------------------
Day One:

Great! You’ve got your awesome starter world. Click “empire” then “home planet” and then “structures.” Scroll down to where it says “Metal Refinery” and click “build.” A metal refinery provides an economic bonus and increases your base's construction rate by the number of "metal" in the base. This is why you want to start out with a three-metal base; they build faster. Now, scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find a “construction queue.” This will have the base automatically build stuff when its current project finishes. You can add up to five things into the queue. Add in two more metal refineries, a solar plant, and another metal refinery. After that you will probably have to build an “urban structure.”

Hi there! I'm new..b :p
thanks for the nice help here I am sure I will make good use of it and read much more but for now..
a quick question as I don't have time to try to find this out (rushing out the door and I already spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure things out). :P

what if I do not have, for example, 3 metal refineries ..but let's say I have 2 (ha ha) as an example; should I relog until I get those minimum amounts? and question 2 (guarantee I will have more later): about the construction queue.. is that a typo or do you want me to click, in that above order, metal refin, metal refin, solar plant, metal refinery, than urban structure? ..so they are listed in that order.. does it matter?

sorry for the silly questions.. I will be back later to find out, I hope, the answer and then I will look over the game some more!

thanks,
Isis32, aka a noob astrowarrior~ :D
I will introduce myself later but for now I have to go shopping hehe

Isis32

Postby Isis32 » Sun 01 Sep, 2013 12:29

Sadly, when I found that not one single player offered a response to this newbs question/concern this tells me that this game has less active players than I had hoped. Much like most games.. and gaming forums.. little one on one help/activity/forum responses. Sad for sure.

but on a bright note I am here to inform that I figured it all out on my own anyways (likely since I'd be waiting for .. nm).

And if you knew me you'd know (and maybe you will learn more about me) that I can easily talk in forums to myself. lmao.

I am doing well and have figured much out on my own. It took me over 1.5hrs to get a base that I was happy with (and a lot of reading to figure out what I truly wanted). Alas, I landed on a Rocky Moon and thought, 'man, this is a nice one!' ..so I stayed and then discovered it is considered the perfect base for a newb like myself. hehe. So by the help of ingame tutorials and the first post in this thread (which I have to review what he suggests for day <2) I am well on my way to kicking major galactic buttock.
..I wonder if the guy who posted is even around anymore ??

Quasar Quasar where are you.. :think:

Themis
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Themis » Sun 01 Sep, 2013 13:29

He pops in from time to time.
Probably more people would answer if you posted in the main help section rather than the manuals bit ;)

Ooh looky... Forum Rules ... read them!
Isis32

Postby Isis32 » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 04:05

Themis wrote:Probably more people would answer if you posted in the main help section rather than the manuals bit ;)

good point; but my question was spontaneous (and I'd have to go looking for the help section).

thanks though :)

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”