Flute's Guide to installing Graphics Packs

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

tandyuk

Re: Flute's Guide to installing Graphics Packs

Postby tandyuk » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:34

Event Horizon wrote:Honestly, can't AE come up with a more user friendly version of these graphics packs? I've tried using the damn thing so many times and it never seems to work. I'm pretty sure there's nothing special about my computer or my software that is causing the problem.
The graphics packs will not work with default browser settings as they are a MASSIVE security hole.
This has nothing to do with AE, it is a fact of browsing the web that you NEVER want http://www.somesite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to be able to load file://c:/path/to/my/saved.passwords" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for example.

Firefox actually cares about security, unlike IE, so this is blocked by default.
Make sure you really trust AE before enabling noscript as I suggest above, as doing so will give AE (should they choose to) access to read ANY file on your computers hard disk, including any mapped network drives etc you have.

I hope this helps clear up why enabling the graphics pack is so much work.

Shott
Galaxy: Kappa

Postby Shott » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 20:38

Sorry if this is a bump, but the code in the first post doesn't work for ixion, juno and kappa users (although this isn't the OPs fault). Can someone edit this code into the first post instead?

Code: Select all

user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "localfilelinks");
user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites","alpha.astroempires.com beta.astroempires.com ceti.astroempires.com delta.astroempires.com epsilon.astroempires.com gamma.astroempires.com helion.astroempires.com ixion.astroempires.com juno.astroempires.com kappa.astroempires.com");
user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.checkloaduri.enabled", "allAccess");

[signature goes here]
Thingymabobo

Postby Thingymabobo » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 15:27

tandyuk wrote:Firefox 4+ users can enable this function by installing the addon called "NoScript".

First Add astroempires.com to noscript as a trusted site.
Next open noscript options, go to Advanced -> Trusted ad you should have a "Allow local links" check box.
Tick the box and your graphics pack will work as expected :)
I tried this and now my map doesn't work.

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”