Flute's Guide to installing Graphics Packs

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Flute
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Flute's Guide to installing Graphics Packs

Postby Flute » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:22

Internet browsers by default don't want the internet to be able to read files from your computer. For AE this security feature is just a nuisance, so it must be disabled (only for the AstroEmpires domain) in order to utilize the graphic packs feature.

Internet Explorer 8 does not need any adjustments to allow graphics packs.
Opera users can only use the Internet method to use graphics packs.
The rest of this guide focuses on browser adjustments for Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 1.5+ in Windows.

How to setup Firefox to allow linking to local files for AE only:
For Firefox versions 1.5 to 3.x.
  • Step 1: Find the user profile folder
    • First go to your start menu,
      Start menu > Run > type in %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

This will open a folder containing another folder which has the syntax ********.default, open that folder. Keep that folder open for Step 2.
    Step 2: Getting the user.js file

Most users will just need to download the user.js file. Try Download Link 1 or Download Link 2.

If you already have a user.js file, you may need to edit it with a text editor. Just add these lines below whatever is already in your user.js.
    • Code: Select all

user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "localfilelinks"); 
      user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites","alpha.astroempires.com beta.astroempires.com ceti.astroempires.com delta.astroempires.com epsilon.astroempires.com gamma.astroempires.com helion.astroempires.com"); 
      user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.checkloaduri.enabled", "allAccess");
    Step 3: Place user.js into your randomly named profile folder from Step 1

Step 4: Restart Browser
    • The browser will auto-load the new file you created when it starts up.
How to setup Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) to allow linking to local files for AE:
  • In IE7, Go to Tools > Internet Options... > Security(tab) > Trusted Sites (icon) > Sites (button).
    • Add alpha.astroempires.com, beta.astroempires.com, ceti.astroempires.com, delta.astroempires.com, epsilon.astroempires.com, gamma.astroempires.com, helion.astroempires.com, and finally, uncheck the option for Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone. Apply the changes, you should not have to restart your browser.
How to use a graphics pack:
  • The Local Disk method.
    This method is ideal for most users and for editing graphics packs.
    • Unzip your graphics pack into a folder, preferably a folder with a short simple directory structure. Then, Go to your account display settings in AE and hit the "Browse" Button. This will open up your file directory. Find your unzipped graphics pack folder and the file style.css in the main directory. Select style.css and hit the "Open" button. Now in the box left of the Browse button you should have a line of text showing the directory structure to style.css. Copy that line into the box below, and remove style.css from the end. Here is an example image:
      aelocaldisk.png
      aelocaldisk.png (11.55 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
  • The Internet Method.
    This method is for people that have special browser needs. It is difficult to setup.
    • The most common way of doing this is to host a web server that contains your graphics pack. That is too complicated to describe here. However some users have public web servers such as this one that will host the graphics pack for you. In this case, just copy the given link (for example, http://piett.kiserai.net/ae/ds-o) into your AE display settings Internet form. Here is a picture of a correctly configured form:
      aeinternet.png
      aeinternet.png (8.89 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
  • The Old Version method.
    All old graphics packs used a different layout, now known as Layout Version 0. You must use the Old Version form to use those old graphics packs. It is very similar to Local Disk method, except style2.css will be in the graphic pack's /image folder. The only objective is to find the file Path of the graphics pack.
    • Unzip your graphics pack like you did with the local disk method and find the style.css in the images folder. In windows you can right click on the style2.css and go to properties. That dialogue box will give you the file Path (highlighted blue in the example below) that you need to copy into AE's Path prompt. The exception is that you need to remove \images from the end of that line. The screen shot below shows a correct installation path.
      aeoldversion.png
Updated for layout Version 1 and 2 Graphics Packs. Here's the old thread.

Image?
Image?
I moderate the artwork forum.
I also can moderate in forums containing artwork including avatar smiley and the signature
I am a forum moderator not a game admin!
CornHolio

Re: Flute's Guide to installing Graphics Packs

Postby CornHolio » Sat 12 Sep, 2009 20:01

ive done everything that the post explains and still can place the Pack to work .... ive tryed for more then a week now ....

i wanted to place this grapix pack viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... but i failed everytime i tryed
it always appear whit crapy layout and all images r squares planets stars from map etc can anyone help me pls -.- iam starting to losing it and yes i created the user.js .

ps:. when it ask us to load the style.css ... but all packages bring style2.css rename it to style.css or ?
i will post a SS later on -.- :(

lostwingman
Guild: SL
Galaxy: Fenix

Postby lostwingman » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 00:41

So I have used Graphics packs for a long time now. Even edited my own personal ones over the summer. But I have gone through all the old steps and tried to go through all the old troubleshooting that I have done but I haven't gotten a solution. All I have now is the white...everything lol

BTW I'm running Windows 7 so I guess that this has something to do with that. But I have no idea what

EDIT: I have done some tinkering and the problem is when I check the CSS box...which I really want to work. So if anyone remembers what the fix for that is...

EDIT 2.0: Ok so I found out what was wrong. If you have a script blocker like NoScript then you have to go to options on it, and then advanced, and go to the Trust subtab and click to allow local links.

Toquinhio

Postby Toquinhio » Wed 11 Nov, 2009 19:03

Great tutorial m8, i was wondering if you happen to know how to install GP's on Google Chrome..

thnx

Deva Knight
Guild: UFP Epsilon, U.F.P. Ixion
Galaxy: Ixion

Postby Deva Knight » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:08

Yes... I would also like to know how to install in on Google Chrome... I assume that Chrome has similar security issues that you have to work around but it doesn't seem as easy.

TheDonut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: Helion [187]
Galaxy: Helion

Postby TheDonut » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 21:26

I don't use Chrome. However this extension may allow you to use a graphics pack on your physical drive.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... kghogcpida" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's called local links. However the images may not load. Let me know how it goes.

Rep me if my advice helps you.
Desibot
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: UCorp
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Desibot » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 22:12

I tried the extension but it doesn't work. :(

TheDonut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: Helion [187]
Galaxy: Helion

Postby TheDonut » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 16:13

It will work on Firefox. Unfortunately Chrome does not allow loading images from a local source in it's security settings.

Rep me if my advice helps you.
pottedfrog

Postby pottedfrog » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 14:11

Minor note :

You should update the 'code' for Firefox and the 'trusted sites' list for IE users to include

fenix.astroempires.com
ixion.astroempires.com

I know some people will probably have added the servers themselves, but some may not and will be wondering why they can't see custom stuff :)

As a note to Chrome users, does the command line switch allow-file-access-from-files not allow you to laod local fiels ? (I don't have Chrome but I did a quick search of the startup switches you can use)

Full ref for the switches is here : http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/t ... iew=markup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Karsus
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: F: ex-[GOON]
A2: [PPD]
B2: [BOB]
Galaxy: Andromeda

Postby Karsus » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:30

So it's not possible to set up graphic packs on Chrome? :o

Tears spread my creep!
allenor

Postby allenor » Wed 15 Dec, 2010 15:39

anyone managed to get some graphic pack working with Chrome?

Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Callum » Wed 15 Dec, 2010 16:45

What Donut said-
TheDonut wrote:It will work on Firefox. Unfortunately Chrome does not allow loading images from a local source in it's security settings.
And no-one has got round it.

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
Faithless
Banned
Banned
Guild: A - [NPO]
B - [AA]
K - [CRY]
Galaxy: Beta

Postby Faithless » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 01:23

just to add you forgot fenix

[AA] FADM And OC
Ribbentrop wrote:You're so clueless it's almost adorable.
Sammael wrote:don't think anyone's ever claimed faithless was fast
Event Horizon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [╰▲╯] Ævikings
Galaxy: Fenix

Postby Event Horizon » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 03:05

This doesn't work. I've done EXACTLY what you posted and it simply doesn't work. All I get is the links without any background (ie. no images). I created a user.js file and moved it into the appropriate location with the code you have posted. I added in ixion to the list. Nothing.

One problem that I've heard about is with / and \ not being the same between the style.css field and the local path field. I've read that they both must use /. I'm using the latest version of windows and firefox and the graphics pack is automatically saved with the \ in the path name. I've tried deleting, downloading and extracting again and changing the path to only use / but then I simply get a message that windows could not create the file. Since I'm not allowed to save the graphics pack with / for the path I tried changing the local path field to use \ as well assuming that if they both used the same one then it would work. But no. Didn't work. So now what?

Honestly, can't AE come up with a more user friendly version of these graphics packs? I've tried using the damn thing so many times and it never seems to work. I'm pretty sure there's nothing special about my computer or my software that is causing the problem.

Edit: tried it on IE8 and no problems but unfortunately I need it to work in Firefox. Anyway, it's clear that it must be the user.js file but I've followed the instructions to the letter and it doesn't work.

tandyuk

Postby tandyuk » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:18

Firefox 4+ users can enable this function by installing the addon called "NoScript".

First Add astroempires.com to noscript as a trusted site.
Next open noscript options, go to Advanced -> Trusted ad you should have a "Allow local links" check box.
Tick the box and your graphics pack will work as expected :)

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”