Guide- The Wonders of the AE Chat room.

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer
Galaxy: Alpha

Guide- The Wonders of the AE Chat room.

Postby Callum » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 21:57

After Commonwealth brought this to our attention through a clever request, and after playing with it for about quarter of an hour, (probably annoying AJam a bit) I discovered many wonderous things, that you all must know about.

THE CHAT
To open the chat window, click on the top toolbar in the forum, on te word 'Chat'. This should open the chat room. The entire chat room is based upon your Forum log-in; you need to be logged in to a validated account to use this feature. However, be cautious, as if you log in using the 'Super Secret' mode, aka 'Keep-me-hidden' mode, you will be unable to write, only watch. And this is no fun at all. However, it does keep your name shrouded in mystery, and no-one knows you exist.

To write, simply select the chat bar, and write your message. I experianced a little lag with longer messages, so be patient, or a multi-poster you shall become.

The chat window is split into sub-sections, to stop all the spammers spamming into the same place, or at least give the option to spread the spam. To speak in a different sub-section, simply click on the icon above the message display box. When you first use the AE Chat feature, you will have the options to choose, The Tavern, Trade, and Help. If you need help, continue reading, or ask, in the 'Help' section.

If you notice a chatter with a shield icon, they will be able to point you in the right direction. The shield represents their power as Protectors of Justice.

Smiley's
As with all of AE's marvellous communication methods, Smiley's are included. To insert a smiley, simply click one of the symbols in the box below, and it will appear in the Chat bar as it's keyboard character representation. (If you really needed to be told this, I suggest you close the window. Now.) For advanced users, you may bypass the clicking stage, and progress on to simply typing what you want, using the correct characters.

Examples-
Typing a colon, ':', followed by an close bracket ')', gives you access to the 'Smile'.
:)
Typing a greater than symbol, '>', followed by two further greater than symbols earns you the 'Green Right-pointing Arrow'.
==>
There's no equivilant...

Formating

Just above the Smiley box, are the format tools. These allow you to embolded, italisize, underline, or cross-out words. Unlike the forum formatting feature, this opens a new sub-window, into you must type your message that you wish to stylise. When you close this sub-window, the message will be place inside the chat bar, with the relevant keyboard character codes either side of the stylised phrase.

Examples-
Emboldering
BOLD
Underlining
LINE
The final function lets you use colour in what you say. Unlike the others, it simply opens a new toolbar, which requires you to select the colour you wish to use, then type what you wish to say. However, if you wish to change colour, you must select your new colour from the colout toolbar. It does not display any keyboard character codes within the chat bar, so there are no simple ways to acheive multi-coloured phrasing without using a mouse. A sad day for you elite typers out there.

ADVANCED FEATURES

After spending several weeks getting acustomed to the basic Chat window options, and experiance the AE community for what it is, and you feel like progressing further, perhaps you should try the 'advanced features' on offer.

These features are located below the chat bar, and offer some promising things.
  • 1-The first is the disconnect. Clicking, will render you unable to chat, by disconnecting you. Do not press this button, unless you wish not to chat.
    2-The second is a feature allwoing you to see different chatters by different colours, allowing easy distingtion between spammer's spam. For example, one Spammer will be assigned red, and next to all his posts in the message window, will be his name in red. If you wish to see what he hs posted, simply look for a red name. You can treat this very much like an avatar, for quickly finding somon'es posts. However, unlike the forums, not everybody will have a catcus theme.
    3-The third button hides the time stamps, which inreturn for not seeing when something was posted, you get enough room on a line for a single character. Excellant.
    4-The fourth prevents those annoying notifaction noises bothering you, but you should have been chatting for long enough to simply accept these as part of you acoustic life by now. Simply press the button, and whilst you are doing something else, you will no longer hear a 'ping' everytime new spam had been added to the pile.
    5-The fifth box hides the smiley box, rendering you unable to show your true emotions on the internet. Clicking this is a bad call. It will only make your witty, sarcastic remarks make people feel happy inside, when in fact, it was insulting. On the other hand, everytime you say anything at all, someone will be insulted.
    6-Finally, the sixth button stops you seeing who you are spamming to, as this is the hide online users feature. If you don't want to see your audiance, you can select this option, and suddenly alot more message box is availiable, so you can read more at once.
One of the most useful buttons that the Chat window contains is the 'minimise window' button. This looks very much like the 'minimise window' button on most Window's applications. For example, if you use Internet Explorer, look at the top right of your screen now, and locate the third button from the right. It looks like the head of a non-plussed blind robot, or a letter box. This button allows you to minimise the chat window, so all you are left with is a useless screen. Excellant. To return to the spam-fest, simply click on the button one more time.

CONCLUSION
Though at the moent this guide is far from finished (I shall tomorrow), I hope it gives you a shoulder to lean on during your first chat encounter.
Whilst Chatting do not reveal any personal details, such as Address, age, bank account details, pin numbers, AE passwords (you'll regret that), and what you are wearing. Especially to those Protectors of Justice, with the shield icons. They are fully trustable, but shifty, characters, and should only be asked for help. If anyone asks you want your password is, it is likely they are not representatives of Astro Empires, and do not tell them what you are wearing. :paranoid:

Remember, Chat Safe!
Last edited by Callum on Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
TheDonut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: Helion [187]
Galaxy: Helion

Re: Guide- The Wonders of the AE Chat room.

Postby TheDonut » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:20

This belongs in the Guide Section and not the help center. Please move, but nice guide.

Rep me if my advice helps you.
Mattzo
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: -Min-

Postby Mattzo » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:21

You can't just open a thread in the Guide section, you have to get it moved there by a mod/admin.

But yeah, nice work.

Tyrant. You're not supposed to pay so much attention to Bruskie's morale ambivalence... you are supposed to be the grounded one!
TheDonut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: Helion [187]
Galaxy: Helion

Postby TheDonut » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 15:10

Mattzo wrote:You can't just open a thread in the Guide section, you have to get it moved there by a mod/admin.

But yeah, nice work.
He hasn't requested a move yet.

Rep me if my advice helps you.
Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Callum » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 15:11

Request move to the guide section please!

:P

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
AJam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby AJam » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 16:06

Very good guide ;) Have a look at ribbens post in the FR forum on this. There was some other helpfull shindigs in that for different commands available to the regular loser :)

:clap:

Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Callum » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 17:40

I'll go have a look. I haven't included the commands yet, but I have exams to time is lacking. Thank you!

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
Ikari
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Guild: NERV

Postby Ikari » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 17:49

The Callum wrote:Request move to the guide section please!

:P
Consider it done. :)

Arjani
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Arjani » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 11:29

Hahaha... thanks for pointing this out. I didn't even know AE had a realtime chat until now. In fact I didn't notice the toolbar up the top at all; I actually had to do a ctrl+F "chat" to find the link. Doh :P

RA -S- SIR -- TEC Enigma DS Riddle -- LOVE -- OSHI- WL -- 1st -- SoT
My guild, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be spinned right.
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 22:52

It's too bad no one uses it.

I'm entertaining and all, but I'd really rather have someone else to talk to.

Merry
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: K-GM of [5555]
Galaxy: Kappa

Postby Merry » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 23:21

Is there still an AE Chatroom? If so, why isn't the link included in the shortcuts now? If not, can we delete this post?

Katsuni
Galaxy: Kappa

Postby Katsuni » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 17:26

Is there still a chat? I made an account for the forum just to use it and... I can't seem to find it. Nor any further information on it. >.>

That and this guide is like two years old, so I'm a bit concerned I may be looking for a feature that was removed due to lack of use :o

"If brute force doesn't work, yeu obviously aren't using enough."
"The solution to all problems in life is simple - Everything Burns."
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 19:46

I can't find any links to it in the Portal, which is where most of the other things that used to be linked from the top of the page got moved. It may very well be dead. :(

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”