Basic guide to fleet specs

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

scyther
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: F:PIMP/RAVE
G:POKE
Galaxy: Gamma

Re: Basic guide to fleet specs

Postby scyther » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 23:50

LesCrow wrote:Im glad im not the only one who thinks an ideal HC/BS fleet should be almost entirely if not entirely made of HC/BS.

it depends on the primary use of the fleet.

The fighter swarm part should probably mention that they're usually the best spec for hitting base defences very early game and late game.

I disagree with never using FC with a FR fleet. A lot of FR stackers (myself included when I had one) use FC to obtain a 6:1 FT:FR ratio. This allows you to fight until your last unit in a blob crash and for casual use makes doing your own FT drops easier, because you don't run out of fighters.

Other than that, very nice.

Generally you dont want to fight down to last unit since the remnants of ANY finisher fleet will get *beep* rates and be 1 shottted by enemy; so ft arent as cruicial.

Your cr spec is way to ft heavy; but meh, to each their own.

Ex Poke missing the tall grass.
Redveil
Guild: I - [PETS]
Galaxy: Ixion

Postby Redveil » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 13:52

I like it, good stuff, will save many hours slaving over the keyboard explaining to newbies/old fools who don't have any clue what they're doing.

Lux - Ixion, Helion
The Fluffy Bunny - Gamma
Mongeese202
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: C:Kow
I:AUDI
J:Bad
Retired
Galaxy: Ixion

Postby Mongeese202 » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 19:46

you should probably include what fleets you should attack and what fleets to avoid per spec

Almost all of our sorrows spring out of our relations with other people.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 21:44

Thanks for the comments everyone.

@spammy/mongeese: That's what the reserved spaces are for, I'll probably do the first 2 detailed spec analyses next weekend.

@spammy: I can see using carriers or FC to ferry fighters out to your frigates, but using them more than that just wastes the things frigates are best at - being faster than anyone else, and having more damage per fleet credit than anyone else.

@scyther: The cruiser spec has 16 fighters per cruiser - theoretically, the number so that you run out of both at the same time.

I've seen a rich man beg; I've seen a good man sin; I've seen a tough man cry.
I've sen a loser win and a sad man grin; I've heard an honest man lie.
Mostly Harmless AE page on facebook
Nextotus
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: [Royal]
[STRIP]
[1st]
[RD]
[WL]
Galaxy: Pegasus

Postby Nextotus » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 17:44

I generally like to increase the ratio of cruisers to fighters as the total size of the mobile increases. Early game i use 25-27% fighters to provide enough for basic farming, then go down to about 20-22% fighters when i actually have a decently sized cruiser stack to focus on finishing power.

Rabid Parrots wrote:
skyy wrote:I want something to get me food, scratch my back and give me food massages while i play AE

Wouldn't it be kind of paradoxical to invent your own mother?
CHERUB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [».:.«] § H A D Ø W §
Galaxy: Beta

Postby CHERUB » Sat 02 Oct, 2010 20:13

the onlya ddition I would add to this is that ur dropper spec is slightly ineffectual. if they went just by what u said, droppers would be effectively useless for one very important reason - they cant finish ANYTHING on their own unless they ahve MASSIVE amounts of fighters (so then its a fighter warm lol), or they get a guildie to finish for them which is annoying lol

the addition u would need to make would be:
Optional: Some HC/CR/BS/FR (pick only 1 to build if you choose to do so; only build upto 10% of total fleet of those things)

Why? if u build just a few of those things, then u can suddenly finish any fleet u run into, still with very good profit. I use some sort of FT/HB/other unit on every server. in apha, its Cruisers. in beta, its Frigates, etc. whatever works for your fighting style really, beucase there really isnt any main combat unit u cant add to this.

So yeah, I would add that.

» The Shadow is vast .:. it eclipses your Sun «

Stare not into the abyss, for the abyss stares also into you.
xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Sat 02 Oct, 2010 22:04

CHERUB you are dead wrong about the dropper spec there. Droppers specialize in attacking fleet without engaging defenses - and it is listed under the advanced specs for a reason. A dropper spec is already 60-70% non-combat fleet, the last thing they need to do is rainbow up so that they don't have enough bombers to finish a target.

Callisto
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Callisto » Sat 02 Oct, 2010 22:14

Can you add also few things NOT to do?

Like rainbow fleets?

pezzawinkle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: E: [SWAG]
K: [DDoS]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby pezzawinkle » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:26

some fleets just work better with meat, HC/BS/IF and of course Capitals... for good solo hunters there is no substitute, but for blob warfare, don't bother with it, it hurts you more than it benefits...

in the end it will depend on how you get your doe, which depends on the company that you keep :D

Survivor of the UKoE Holocaust.
If the measure of a leader is also the measure of how crazy one is, why am i not leading the whole damn server?

Insanity comes in all shapes and sizes, just like the fleets that inhabit them.
Lite-Reborn
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Lite-Reborn » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 15:58

pezzawinkle wrote:some fleets just work better with meat, HC/BS/IF and of course [/b]Capitals[b]...

Wait... what?

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 08:17

pezzawinkle wrote:some fleets just work better with meat, HC/BS/IF and of course Capitals... for good solo hunters there is no substitute, but for blob warfare, don't bother with it, it hurts you more than it benefits...

in the end it will depend on how you get your doe, which depends on the company that you keep :D

1. The more meat you have to reduce primary losses, the less you have to actually deal damage. Since a second shot will ruin your ratio anyway, additional units are a luxury to be used only when you have a very large fleet compared to the targets you will be facing.

2. Capitals use other capitals for meat - for example a single dreadnought that will allow your leviathan to squeak by at .02 remaining. They do NOT use fighters, corvettes, or any other efficient but unshielded unit for meat except in circumstances much too rare for a basic guide to cover.

3. This guide assumes that you are in a guild. You have one spec and your guildmates cover your weaknesses just as you cover theirs. I've only seen one person play solo effectively and even so he has been derbed many, many times.

Callum
Volunteer
Volunteer
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Callum » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 18:41

pezzawinkle wrote:and of course Capitals...

Just to explain, Capital stackers often operate by overwhelming the opponent with shields. If you introduce standard fodder, such as fighters, your advantage in not taking direct damage is removed, and your fighters will take the full brunt; therefore making your high shields useless. Captial stackers should almost never attack with anything other than a bare stack. (except of course in the example 2 by xJudicatorx above)

Of course, capital stackers do have fighters, just as they have HCs for base taking, and to reduce damage when being attacked; though in minimal numbers in comparison to other stacks.

That is all.
VGM of Alpha
Firefox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Firefox » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 12:32

For the Frigate fleet, some BO might help. More firepower per hanger and saves FTs for their main purpose, meat shield, instead of needing them to FT drop.

Same for the Ion Frigate fleet except for one more important point, intermediate level meatshield, a BO has CV level armour efficiency, so it can be used to screen the more vulnerable I-FFG. You don't use an intermediate screen for frigates due to their low cost, but Ions are a different story. You could have the same effect adding pure CVs, but with BOs, at least you can suicide them into FT screens for even ratios, though at the cost of hanger space. BOs also cover the Cruiser gap where it is hard to kill with FTs and inefficient with I-FFGs. (I-FFG vs HC, it is actually a VERY slight positive ratio)

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 17:51

I did a lot of testing with 1 BO and 3 FT per FR and tried out a 2/2 ratio as well. There are 2 reasons why I decided not to recommend it for this guide. First, it only works if you have missile tech equal or higher than laser tech - otherwise fighters are much more efficient(and of course missile tech is much more expensive than laser tech). Second, a frigate fleet uses swarm damage on most base hits and if you need to send off several of your frigates to keep your bombers clear, this can add several extra shots to your hit.

Overall, the BO idea CAN work, but in my opinion the saved hangar space doesn't make up for the extra difficulties which it brings up.

As for IF, CV are the only reasonable meatshielding for them. They need all the hangar space they can get and there is no sense adding a 3rd weapon tech.

scyther
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: F:PIMP/RAVE
G:POKE
Galaxy: Gamma

Postby scyther » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 08:26

xJudicatorx wrote:@scyther: The cruiser spec has 16 fighters per cruiser - theoretically, the number so that you run out of both at the same time.

its actually more like 12 assuming no ft meatshield.

But since in an optimal situation you wont ever run down to zero cr since that would mean that your not 1 shotting you dont need to meatshield them. Since who really makes hits with the last 20% of their fleet aside from REALLY close jg crashes.

Also when your down that low on fleet usually your going to be suiciding into bigger stacks so the meatshield becomes useless anyways.

Ex Poke missing the tall grass.

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”