Basic guide to fleet specs

Read and comment on our tutorials and user guides here.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Steel_Blackheart
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Basic guide to fleet specs

Postby Steel_Blackheart » Thu 04 Nov, 2010 21:45

awesome guide, thank you.

this will help a bunch seeing as im rebuilding my fleet again.

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Theirs not to question why, Theirs not to make reply, Theirs but to do and die."
-Lord Alfred Tennyson
xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 05:30

Steel_Blackheart wrote:awesome guide, thank you.

I'm glad you liked it. Losing your fleet can be a great chance to re-spec to something more enjoyable and appropriate for your playstyle.

I've seen a rich man beg; I've seen a good man sin; I've seen a tough man cry.
I've sen a loser win and a sad man grin; I've heard an honest man lie.
Mostly Harmless AE page on facebook
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 06:00

I'd just like to point out, with FC vs. CA, CA are actually more efficient for resupply due to their speed. A CA-based resupply fleet can make several more trips in the same time as a FC based fleet, meaning it effectively has more carrying capacity per credit.

Of course, that all changes when someone blows them up.

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 06:43

Wlerin wrote:I'd just like to point out, with FC vs. CA, CA are actually more efficient for resupply due to their speed. A CA-based resupply fleet can make several more trips in the same time as a FC based fleet, meaning it effectively has more carrying capacity per credit.

Of course, that all changes when someone blows them up.
I agree *for restocking only*. But none of these include off-spec units like restock carriers, base defense fleet, occ forces, etc.

Steel_Blackheart
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Steel_Blackheart » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 07:12

xJudicatorx wrote:
Steel_Blackheart wrote:awesome guide, thank you.

I'm glad you liked it. Losing your fleet can be a great chance to re-spec to something more enjoyable and appropriate for your playstyle.
yeah, respeced a couple times now courtesy of music, went from rainbow to CR, to CR/HC(was a mistake i knows that now), to HC... not sure which im gonna go as now though...

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Theirs not to question why, Theirs not to make reply, Theirs but to do and die."
-Lord Alfred Tennyson
Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Nagel » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 16:01

I read the first spec, saw that you should not use Carriers and stopped reading. Awful advice, especially when you go on to say do not add Cruisers.

SHLD GM
Qµeen Bruskie wrote:I was hoping you'd have enough sense to not be a retard. Too much credit I suppose.
xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 16:32

Nagel wrote:I read the first spec, saw that you should not use Carriers and stopped reading. Awful advice, especially when you go on to say do not add Cruisers.
Can you possibly be serious? Why do you think you should build Cruisers or Carriers for a fighter spec?

Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Nagel » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 17:45

OFC I am serious, here are my arguments.

Whilst FCs are indeed the most 'effective' way to carry Fighters en mass, they are slow. Given that the difference in credit efficiency is minimal, I prefer to build my fleet on what best is going to benefit me. Given that, I build Carriers to carry my Fighters, as they offer me a huge speed bonus, which allows me to make more hits.

Once you recognise that, you need to start thinking which are the best units to add to a Ft/Ca mobile.

Answers are:
Destroyers, nothing is much better at stripping down Cr/Hc fleets for profit then a Ft/De mobile.

Frigates, same as above, but they offer you more hanger units as well.

Cruiser, the positives are plentiful. 10million fighters coupled with 500k Cruisers will tear most if not all mobiles to pieces, you would not even have to drop most of them.

======
I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying your exclusion of Carriers and then subsequently Destroyers, Frigates and Cruisers was short sighted and incorrect.

SHLD GM
Qµeen Bruskie wrote:I was hoping you'd have enough sense to not be a retard. Too much credit I suppose.
Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Nagel » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 17:46

Double post sorry.

I actually wrote a long guide regarding specification fleets, if you would like I will post it up for you to look at. Or I could PM you it, so you can see how I went about it.

SHLD GM
xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 17:55

lol
No thanks, based on the ideas you posted here I don't care to read any of your other opinions on specs(though you can't really call it a "spec" if you added DE/DR/CR to a fighter swarm).

Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Nagel » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 17:57

My argument applies for adding one of the specified units to any of the said specs, and a route for dual spec'ing when you are deep enough in your primary specification.

You were the one listing alternative units to add, I was just following suit with a more accurate list.

Don't hate because you are wrong.

SHLD GM
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 20:03

Nagel wrote:My argument applies for adding one of the specified units to any of the said specs, and a route for dual spec'ing when you are deep enough in your primary specification.

You were the one listing alternative units to add, I was just following suit with a more accurate list.

Don't hate because you are wrong.
Nagel, this time you are wrong, because you misunderstand the purpose of this guide. None of these fleet specs are intended to stand alone. They are all intended for use within a guild or squad, wherein other players compensate for your specializations' weaknesses, and you for theirs. As such, the following goals focusing on solo profit are counterproductive:
Destroyers, nothing is much better at stripping down Cr/Hc fleets for profit then a Ft/De mobile.

Frigates, same as above, but they offer you more hanger units as well.
Building Frigates and Destroyers reduces the number of fighters you can field in order to allow solo profit hits. Solo profit is not the goal of this guide. By all means, include Frigates or Destroyers in your raiding fleet. Keep them out of your main fleet.
Cruiser, the positives are plentiful. 10million fighters coupled with 500k Cruisers will tear most if not all mobiles to pieces, you would not even have to drop most of them.
If you have 500k Cruisers + 10 Million fighters, this is a (fighter heavy) Cruiser spec, not a fighter spec.
Nagel wrote:Whilst FCs are indeed the most 'effective' way to carry Fighters en mass, they are slow. Given that the difference in credit efficiency is minimal, I prefer to build my fleet on what best is going to benefit me. Given that, I build Carriers to carry my Fighters, as they offer me a huge speed bonus, which allows me to make more hits.
There are other benefits to using FCs besides efficiency. They are resistant to FT and CV hits, and capable of (inefficient) shield rape, unlike CA. They also have enough power to bypass a Leviathan's shields, affording some meager protection from Levi rape.

That said, Judicator does state the case too strongly in the OP. Ultimately, each player must decide whether the added durability and credit efficiency is worth the loss in speed.

Nagel
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Nagel » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 22:49

Wlerin wrote: Nagel, this time you are wrong, because you misunderstand the purpose of this guide. None of these fleet specs are intended to stand alone. They are all intended for use within a guild or squad, wherein other players compensate for your specializations' weaknesses, and you for theirs. As such, the following goals focusing on solo profit are counterproductive:
The OP was the one adding units that would compliment the specification to his original post, I believe his suggestions to add to a Fighter Spec where Leviathan and Heavy Cruiser?

I just followed along in the same method, suggesting units which I felt would be more beneficial in a Fighter Specification mobile. As a person who usually flies around with 6,7,8million fighters when not using them, this is a Spec I know a little about. Once you get to 8million plus fighters (as I am due to on Alpha) you need to start considering a dual spec. Whilst theoretically you should carry on building in one Primary Spec, at 100million mobile, you really are doing your squad/guild more harm then good by doing so.
Building Frigates and Destroyers reduces the number of fighters you can field in order to allow solo profit hits. Solo profit is not the goal of this guide. By all means, include Frigates or Destroyers in your raiding fleet. Keep them out of your main fleet.[/quote]

Again speaking as a Fighter Spec'er, I think you are a little off. For starters building Frigates boosts the amount of Fighters you can carry, as do Cruisers, this is why I would suggest these two over the fighters. Once your fleet gets to a certain size, you need to start adding a unit that allows you to shoot more for more profit. There is not a lot of bases and small mobiles you can not Zerg with 8/10million Fighters, so at that point you need to look for a unit to compliment your Mobile. For me Destroyers and Frigates are the best option, how ever Frigates just pip the Destroyers as they can carry Fighters. Again it is a choice of preference, and I limit my choices through unwillingness to slow my self down (I fly at Carrier sped)
If you have 500k Cruisers + 10 Million fighters, this is a (fighter heavy) Cruiser spec, not a fighter spec.
You should ask Kris which tech he is playing, trust me his answer his Fighter stack with a few Cruisers. Granted he has 12mil Fighters and not 10, but the point applies.
There are other benefits to using FCs besides efficiency. They are resistant to FT and CV hits, and capable of (inefficient) shield rape, unlike CA. They also have enough power to bypass a Leviathan's shields, affording some meager protection from Levi rape.
I refuse to plan my mobile around how it will react should it be hit, not because I think I am too good to, but because it defeats the point. You build your mobile to hit fleet, and lowering your prospects to do so, so that it acts favourably in a defensive situation it wrong. Whilst FCs do indeed give you an ability to shield rape, and allow you more leniency when dropping an active target, they are slow and cumbersome. I personally have 5,000 Fleet Carriers which are left over from my last mobile, and they generally get to the action after I have finishing shooting things.
That said, Judicator does state the case too strongly in the OP. Ultimately, each player must decide whether the added durability and credit efficiency is worth the loss in speed.
Agreed, I was not saying the whole guide is wrong. Just that completely writing off units for no discernibly good reason was wrong, and would lead to unknowing people making mistake.

This is a Rock/Paper/Scissor game, and everyone is entitle to choose which of the three they want, and how they want to decorate it. Just when advising people how to do it, you should offer them all the options.

SHLD GM
Mattzo
Volunteer
Volunteer
Guild: -Min-

Postby Mattzo » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 23:30

CA vs FC in a FT spec is personal preference.

Also, I would not add many FR/CR/HC to a FT spec, otherwise it's not a FT spec is it? I would definitely not add levis to a FT spec, that's just plain silly.

Oh, and planning your fleet on how it would get it is stupid too.

Tyrant. You're not supposed to pay so much attention to Bruskie's morale ambivalence... you are supposed to be the grounded one!
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 00:17

Nagel wrote:
Wlerin wrote: Nagel, this time you are wrong, because you misunderstand the purpose of this guide. None of these fleet specs are intended to stand alone. They are all intended for use within a guild or squad, wherein other players compensate for your specializations' weaknesses, and you for theirs. As such, the following goals focusing on solo profit are counterproductive:
The OP was the one adding units that would compliment the specification to his original post, I believe his suggestions to add to a Fighter Spec where Leviathan and Heavy Cruiser?
Apples and Oranges. Leviathans add survivability to your fighters.

Heavy Cruisers...hrmm... alright, I'll grant that. There is no difference in intent between adding HC and adding DE, FR, or CR, at least from what Judicator wrote. HC/BS are commonly used to defend against Levi rape, but that is not the reason the OP gives.
Whilst theoretically you should carry on building in one Primary Spec, at 100million mobile, you really are doing your squad/guild more harm then good by doing so.
You know, I was following you up to this. 100 million mobile? There are a little over 100 players, total, across *all* servers, capable of fielding a 100 million mobile. I highly doubt any of those players need this advice, nor are the vast majority of players reading this guide going to need it anytime soon. Therefore bringing this into consideration, except in an appendix, is counterproductive.
Again speaking as a Fighter Spec'er, I think you are a little off. For starters building Frigates boosts the amount of Fighters you can carry, as do Cruisers, this is why I would suggest these two over the fighters.
Right. Because Frigates and Cruisers are so close to Carriers/FC in efficiency.
Once your fleet gets to a certain size, you need to start adding a unit that allows you to shoot more for more profit. There is not a lot of bases and small mobiles you can not Zerg with 8/10million Fighters, so at that point you need to look for a unit to compliment your Mobile.
Why? What do you need to complement it for, at that size? Unless there's no one with a larger fleet, in which case, again, this is not important for the kinds of players reading this guide, or asking this question.
You should ask Kris which tech he is playing, trust me his answer his Fighter stack with a few Cruisers. Granted he has 12mil Fighters and not 10, but the point applies.
Given the parameters of this guide, that is a Cruiser spec. Kris can call it whatever he likes.

Return to “Tutorials & Guides”