Better technology system and modifiers

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Moderator: Support Moderators

SAAA

Better technology system and modifiers

Postby SAAA » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 13:02

I'm proposing a change in the tech system, it will affect balance quite a bit but in an "amplified" way rather than totally reinventing current strategies.
Basically the way things are now most techs adds 5% every level over the base amount, this reduces the effectiveness of each upgrade over the last one while also costing exponentially more (and time to research as a consequence).
I suggest to move to a multiplicative system with the same factor, so the value is a constant 1.05 times the previous level at every level.

Old formula: modifier = 1 + 0.05*tech.level
New one: modifier = 1.05^tech.level

This way tech initially works the same as usual, looking at low levels like 1-10, then it increases quickly over the current system and compensates the hugely increased costs.

The change works "amplifying" current tactics because it works the same for every unit and defence:
if one focuses on fighters thus armour and lasers he will have a big advantage with these, but he may lose an edge on bigger ships that now get exponentially better too, so a capital ship player might just have focused on shields and other heavy weapons getting much better ratios.
Armour actually works for everything and is cheap so every unit does get a lot tankier under this new system, but that balances out as I just said because all classes get the upgrade.

Some reworking of base stats might be needed for certain units as they do tend to have way bigger armour values over firepower at similar technology costs, but that was needed anyway given how certain units really don't appear much in game, I'm looking at death stars indeed but leviathans and titans might be in for a little buff too. I understand the mechanic that makes them less effective firepower/cost wise over smaller units but not -that- much considered the time it takes to build and move them around.
Speaking of death stars, as a side benefit this technology system also slightly mitigates their slowness by making antigravity 5% speed factor exponential too, so with higher levels they start to speedup a lot, concurrently with standard drives systems that get better the same way. Jumpgates shouldn't change because their speed increase is already large and tech independent anyway.

Here some numerical examples:

Level 1 vs 0
Tech at 105% vs 100%
gain from previous level = 5%

Level 11 vs 10
tech at 155% vs 150%
gain from previous level = 3.3%

Level 21 vs 20
tech at 205% vs 200%
gain from previous level = 2.5%

Level 31 vs 30
tech at 255% vs 250%
gain from previous level = 2%

The 5% additive turns to half already at level 20, at 30 it's 2% worth...
These numbers don't look appealing considered the huge increase in cost and time (cost is 1.5^tech.level, a fast growing exponent), what they would look like with an exponential grow in tech too?

Level 1 vs 0
Tech at 105% vs 100%

Level 11 vs 10
tech at 171% vs 163%

Level 21 vs 20
tech at 279% vs 265%

Level 31 vs 30
tech at 454% vs 432%

Not much changes at the beginning, then the curve grows much faster at middle and high levels. The absolute change against the old system is big, so there might be some more balancing to do, nothing too hard actually.
First thing that comes to mind is using something else than 5%: the intercepting point between the two systems can be found and tuned at will, here it happens exactly at level 1 and after is always better but it could be at level 10, 15 etc.

As last side note this whole thing can even be tested or implemented in future versions, I don't pretend the change will be ok for everyone who's played far longer than me, but it is something worth trying in my opinion.

atom man
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Better technology system and modifiers

Postby atom man » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 16:56

wow wee this seems legit, but even if your math is right they will never implement anything new unfortunately.

even waited to start till i had more of the story mapped out.
I follow the rules, if we rule. sorry been busy compiling data, for a popular game clone, like 2006 to 2008 AE style patches and bug fixes, but not the AE clone. :think: :paranoid: :shifty: 2002
swearengen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Better technology system and modifiers

Postby swearengen » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 02:37

exactly
not to mention

the player base thats around for levels even 30 and above

But like u said its not even no where near worth their time to change anything

Return to “Feature Request”