Gas Giant Gravity Well

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Gas Giant Gravity Well

Postby Philosopher Cody » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 20:32

Technology: Gas Giant Gravity Well
Cost: 200,000
Labs: 28
Warp Drive 25, Stellar Drive 30, Tachyon Communications 12.
Function: This technology allows a player to create a warp from one gas giant to another that lasts for 12 hours. Guildmates may also use this. It increases the speed of ships by 100% per level of tech, and allows for the movement of stellar ships between galaxies. A player can only create one of these every 12 hours.

Justification for this:
As this game gets older, the player base is shrinking. This means that galaxies will only be accessible via warp drive units. making combat there meaningless since guilds will lack the necessary jumpgates. This allows for a player to reach everywhere in an old server despite the shrinking player base.

Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gas Giant Gravity Well

Postby Logans Run » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 22:02

That's a good idea. I get Gas giants all the time.

Justification for this:
I love Mexican food.

Death Smurf
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: BORG - A
SS - B
MOJO (GM) - C

Postby Death Smurf » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 09:33

Philosopher Cody wrote:Technology: Gas Giant Gravity Well
Cost: 200,000
Labs: 28
Warp Drive 25, Stellar Drive 30, Tachyon Communications 12.
Function: This technology allows a player to create a warp from one gas giant to another that lasts for 12 hours. Guildmates may also use this. It increases the speed of ships by 100% per level of tech, and allows for the movement of stellar ships between galaxies. A player can only create one of these every 12 hours.

Justification for this:
As this game gets older, the player base is shrinking. This means that galaxies will only be accessible via warp drive units. making combat there meaningless since guilds will lack the necessary jumpgates. This allows for a player to reach everywhere in an old server despite the shrinking player base.

No

completely silly idea.

Ceti Historian:
> The Ceti Historian
* Has received a R/L death threat about AE (gimme the e-tears!)
Stalina

Postby Stalina » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 21:36

A good idea in itself.

But I wouldn't welcome it. New players, single players and low level players can't afford this requirements. How should a newcomer on an old server reach such high tech levels in a reasonable amount of time? One would be dependend on old players and a (strong) guild which providing it.

Furthermore, under certain circumstances it makes no sense to build JG accounts or high-JG's. In the worst case, it increases inequality of new smaller players and big older players, and between unequal guilds too. Or even that it's just not efficient, +100% warp through a JG would be much cheaper. It also doesn't mean that you don't have to guard JG's.

I myself would have none of this for an indefinite time.

From a realistic and physical point of view, it's a bit strange, even for Sci-Fy. From this point of view, I would say, to use giant stars would be more logical.
For my part, I don't understand why you can't park a fleet in the orbit of GG's. That would be a requirement...

What is your point basically? Usable GG's, or an alternative to the JG's? Wormholes already exist, maybe it's possible to improve something here.
(Was already discussed as far as I know).

EDIT: In which context are the requirements? Is there a comprehensible explanation?

Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 23:45

Please stop.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Philosopher Cody » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 21:11

My point is to get at the shrinking player base. With less and less players, being able to access all of the galaxies in the game will become a problem. Wormholes are okay, but do not fix the problem of being able to exit a galaxy that does not have a jumpgate. So that leaves galaxies separated from many players since their guild lacks a jumpgate to that that galaxy.

Alpha keeps losing players and so are many of the other servers. To be able to get from Say A75 to A08 might not be possible for many players in the very near future. There are other solutions:
1. Wizard could make it that stellar units just take twice as long or three times as long to move between galaxies without using a jumpgate.
2. He could institute the feature request that I am proposing. Maybe tweak the requirements of it and what not.
3. He could force the closing of galaxies in existing servers. For example, when there are no more bases in a galaxy like A08 just delete the galaxy from existence.
4. Create a Warp Drive Recycler unit.

Rather players wish to realize it or not, the player base is shrinking in this game despite the improvements that Wizard has made. With that means a harder time to move from galaxy to galaxy. I see that as the problem to the game, because eventually galaxies are going to be isolated from players. Sure you can always travel via warp drive units, but without recyclers combat will be non-existent.

Return to “Feature Request”