Ion Frig Nerf

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Gothmog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ion Frig Nerf

Postby Gothmog » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 00:09

Simple one, remove ion frigs hangers.
meaning they can not carry FT.

Ion frigs way over powered as they are.
Think on it that they carry this big Ion Cannon that cuts through shields so they dont have room for hangers like the normal frigs.

it means players have to have some more support ships in the fleet instead of just Ion frigs and FT.

or remove them all together so Ion bombers have a use.

Original Alpha Mordor GM.
Back out of my retirement cave to see how the kids play now.
Death Smurf
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: BORG - A
SS - B
MOJO (GM) - C

Re: Ion Frig Nerf

Postby Death Smurf » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 02:11

Gothmog wrote:Simple one, remove ion frigs hangers.

Think on it that they carry this big Ion Cannon that cuts through shields so they dont have room for hangers like the normal frigs.

it means players have to have some more support ships in the fleet instead of just Ion frigs and FT.

No, and frankly I'm surprised at you for even suggesting such a daft idea.

Ceti Historian:
> The Ceti Historian
* Has received a R/L death threat about AE (gimme the e-tears!)
Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [CRUEL]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Rajam » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 04:32

I'm more of a fan of buffing other ships rather than nerfing certain ones.

Why not give Battleships and above base Armour to match their base attack like all other ships? This would make the bleed through attack of Ion Frigs that much less at the high end.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
swearengen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby swearengen » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 04:26

Death Smurf wrote:
Gothmog wrote:Simple one, remove ion frigs hangers.

No, and frankly I'm surprised at you for even suggesting such a daft idea.

Or just get rid of ion bombers. Lol

Soldier48
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: SPuD

Postby Soldier48 » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 04:48

Rajam wrote:I'm more of a fan of buffing other ships rather than nerfing certain ones.

Why not give Battleships and above base Armour to match their base attack like all other ships? This would make the bleed through attack of Ion Frigs that much less at the high end.

Kinda get where your doing, I think it needs a mix of both. Theoretically you'd want to see BS and IFs being picked about equally as much as each other, (them being the top anti-cap options).

BS are expensive, and aren't as versatile as IFs. Ideally IFs shouldn't be able to hit CRs/HCs for profit. Those units should be small enough to avoid severe impacts from Ion Cannons. With that I think BS should get a small armor buff to make them more viable in other situations other than against cap specs. (They are suppose to be the more expensive anti-cap, make sense if they were expensive for their versatility).

Thing with the BS buff you'd just need to watch the interactions of Frigs and CRs with BS. You wouldn't want to change their interactions that much with the armor buff.

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" (Julius Caesar)
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper.
CrazynTough Kiwi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: G2: Mayu
Galaxy: Lyra

Postby CrazynTough Kiwi » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 14:07

IFs are powerful because of the impact of the FM nerfs on the meta, making FT specs few and far between. Before BS had their role since they were more resilient against those specs so it was they that found favour. It's not that they're any better at taking down cap specs, it's that it's harder to deal with IFs than it used to be.

I don't think improving BS armour to 168 as Rajam suggested will solve the issue either, That will improve their bas credits/armour from 15.6 to 11.9, a rather extreme buff, particularly when you consider that HCs are 10.4. This creates issues with the cost based upside/downside combat system in the game, as you push things out of whack. It won't solve the problem either.

I think that opting for FT spec needs to be incentivized, and I propose the way to do that is to use the very system that made them rare in the first place. Make certain noncombat support units contribute half, or some different value towards Fleet Maintenance, so they can more easily accrue the sizes they need to be relevant.

AE Status: Zombie under the control of unknown entity.
Gothmog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gothmog » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 23:54

If you remove hanger from IF then they need support fleet of their own to carry meat shield.
This means needing a more diverse fleet, which in effect weakens the IF/FT combo.
throws nothing out of whack as all the creds/armour/ect stays the same, your simply removing a hanger which does not effect any ships stats apart from that.

leesmack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: Alpha
Kappa
Rigel

Postby leesmack » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 23:52

U must got zfd by Ion frigs

Cruel
Lazy Titan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: [INDOM]ie

Postby Lazy Titan » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 22:02

IFs are rarely used as of now , you can't be serious to demand and nerf them just because you got derbed by them , easy solution to counter them is to bring meat shields and voila

Trouble maker , have a long and continuous history in making enemies / haters whatever , still intending to make a lot more because i get bored and i want *beep* and giggles
Lazy Titan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Lazy Titan » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 23:10

IFs have always been the cap killers , perhaps why they resurfaced back to fame is the increasement in cap fleets as all newbs rush to build DNs and go up to levis , the new servers are relatively less experienced than the old ones

Trouble maker , have a long and continuous history in making enemies / haters whatever , still intending to make a lot more because i get bored and i want *beep* and giggles
Gothmog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gothmog » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 09:38

One Lazy Titan wrote:IFs are rarely used as of now , you can't be serious to demand and nerf them just because you got derbed by them , easy solution to counter them is to bring meat shields and voila

Never been ZF.
I use IF on each server myself.
Thats why I know they overpowered.

and rarely used...?
LOL
seems to be the most used ship on every server since frontier.
apart from FT!

They cheap, fast, carry own meat shield and can kill anything in the game.
tell me thats not out of balance?
They make lot of other ships redundant.

Slippin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Slippin » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 17:53

REMoving hanger space would make them worthless. Maybe only able to hold 2 or 3 fighters would make more sense in depowering them. Or purhaps lower the crossshield to 15%. I dunno. But no hangers, no one would use.

Active - O: [IMP], S: [2ez], L2: [R-M]
Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [CRUEL]

Postby Rajam » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 17:58

The combat technologies and debris calculations are skewed toward the bottom of the ship pool.

Combat techs are cheaper at the bottom of the tree thereby giving greatest benefit to the cheapest ships. In my opinion it should be even or be slightly more advantageous at the higher end of the ship cost. Thereby reflecting the higher cost of the higher cost ships.

Ancillary to this is the disparity between warp and stellar tech costs. It's harder to get a fast warp ship vs. stellar ship. With the jumpgates being what they are these days the whole "limit to jumping between galaxies" bit about stellar is pretty much pointless. And since cheaper ships are faster in this game(from base speeds) then your incentive after a certain tech level is to go down in cost. ie. Cheaper ships are more convenient(speed & cheapest tech to make them viable), yield virtually the same results(Ion Frigs/fighters can take anything), at the cheapest costs(Least costly technology).

Debris calculations have a hand in Armor tech as well. With the greatest benefit coming to the cheapest ships and the highest tech. Again, this intuitively forces you to go to a cheaper ship.

Just throwing this into the mix.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
Lazy Titan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Lazy Titan » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 19:18

Gothmog wrote:
One Lazy Titan wrote:IFs are rarely used as of now , you can't be serious to demand and nerf them just because you got derbed by them , easy solution to counter them is to bring meat shields and voila

Never been ZF.
I use IF on each server myself.
Thats why I know they overpowered.

and rarely used...?
LOL
seems to be the most used ship on every server since frontier.
apart from FT!

They cheap, fast, carry own meat shield and can kill anything in the game.
tell me thats not out of balance?
They make lot of other ships redundant.

indeed, they are rare , i rarely see few IF specs in each blob compared to CR HC and FR
but yeah they are increasing in numbers because as i said newer servers are filled with newbs and no pros , so DNs Titans etc got a big comeback and thus the IF return

Burgess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Burgess » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 19:21

Tell me again, how long are u playing this game now? lmao

Return to “Feature Request”