Decreasing Cluster Size to Increase Number of Clusters

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Moderator: Support Moderators

JudeNasty
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: I:DL
K:SoT
L:Groov/Curse
N:Legio

Decreasing Cluster Size to Increase Number of Clusters

Postby JudeNasty » Tue 15 May, 2018 01:04

Hello,

This is my first time posting in feature request. I returned to AE for lynx server after being gone for some years. The game has experienced a large decrease in total number of players. This leaves us with only 3 clusters. Politically, this gives many less options to everyone. I think most people who have played long enough to witness the decline in players has also saw the impact a reduction in clusters has had on servers. I propose the following:

Decrease the number of galaxies in a cluster from 10 to 6
Increase the number of clusters from 3 to 5.

This would keep with the trend of 30 galaxies. Each cluster would run from 0-6. The distance between clusters and celestial map would remain the same, with the exception of travel time across a cluster being decreased.

I believe this would allow for more factions to form and prevent server gridlock ie. blob staring

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [CRUEL]
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Decreasing Cluster Size to Increase Number of Clusters

Postby Rajam » Tue 15 May, 2018 02:54

I highly doubt that cluster size would affect the problem your citing.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
CalParty

Postby CalParty » Tue 15 May, 2018 06:44

What would, in your opinion?

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rajam » Tue 15 May, 2018 16:12

That's a pretty big problem to tackle in one post but I'll give it a try.

AE desperately needs to figure out a way to get rid of multi accounts(Game launcher maybe). They enable many of the bad behaviors we now see in the game.
Guild Strongholds = Bad IMO. One of the things that has kept Alpha server so dynamic is that everyone is all spread out.
Server linkage. Give the dead servers something to do after their server is ruined.

There is a ton more and going into detail would make this post way too long for anyone to read.

CalParty

Postby CalParty » Thu 17 May, 2018 09:53

I agree about the multi issue and server linkage.

How do you make a design/game mechanic change that eliminates strongholds? Or minimizes their effectiveness? Why is alpha different?

And the question I should have asked first: why would the original idea of smaller, more numerous clusters be ineffective at bringing a positive change?

Platypus
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: My house

Postby Platypus » Thu 17 May, 2018 21:47

linking old servers would be interesting. the really old servers would be fine to link. everyones throwing 100mil+ fleets around anyways. as for why alpha is different, probably just choices. people chose to have alpha the way it is. people also chose to have the new servers the way they are. multi's and perma farming and the like. It would be nice to have a set of rules each server that everyone agreed upon. you could even change them up. but some guild would inevitably break the rules to get ahead and that would be the end of that.

Logic isn't necessary to win all arguments. Sometimes u just need to be the one who keeps saying "nuh uhhh"
Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rajam » Fri 18 May, 2018 05:06

Alpha is different because bases are scattered across clusters for a lot of people. That means that if your a douche then anyone can hit your bases and no one can protect them all from a blob. In essence, you can be farmed if you're bases aren't right on top of your blob.

This led to a different mindset over time. While it isn't the main thing people point to about alpha it definitely makes you play differently than if you were in a stronghold.

My .02

SEWI
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: ASAE

Postby SEWI » Tue 29 May, 2018 22:04

Why you think we created ASAE?

No stronghold....no worries

You only need to outnumber the farmers to make any server like ALPHA or better.

Same name...same guild...all servers... :biglaugh:
Platypus
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: My house

Postby Platypus » Wed 30 May, 2018 04:27

SEWI wrote:Why you think we created ASAE?

There are strongholds in alpha though. Where ever the blob is, that is the stronghold. This also includes adjacent galaxies. The difference is that with the exception of Indies and smaller Unassociated guilds, most leave each other alone unless in a war time status.

Logic isn't necessary to win all arguments. Sometimes u just need to be the one who keeps saying "nuh uhhh"
Santa Clause

Postby Santa Clause » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 02:22

SEWI wrote:Why you think we created ASAE?

No sewi, outnumbering us does you no good when we individually have 10 times the total fleet of your guild.... only reason you guys stick around is because you never break level 30 and the fact that you and your friends have ruined the ASAE name to the point that anyone who DOES manage to grow a pair or mess up instantly gets permed....

-HEIMDALL-

Postby -HEIMDALL- » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:18

Platypus wrote:linking old servers would be interesting. the really old servers would be fine to link. everyones throwing 100mil+ fleets around anyways. as for why alpha is different, probably just choices. people chose to have alpha the way it is. people also chose to have the new servers the way they are. multi's and perma farming and the like. It would be nice to have a set of rules each server that everyone agreed upon. you could even change them up. but some guild would inevitably break the rules to get ahead and that would be the end of that.

you could designate each server as a universal region the universe being all servers, travel time between servers =?

~HEIMDALL~
-HEIMDALL-

Postby -HEIMDALL- » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:28

Platypus wrote:
linking old servers would be interesting. the really old servers would be fine to link. everyones throwing 100mil+ fleets around anyways. as for why alpha is different, probably just choices. people chose to have alpha the way it is. people also chose to have the new servers the way they are. multi's and perma farming and the like. It would be nice to have a set of rules each server that everyone agreed upon. you could even change them up. but some guild would inevitably break the rules to get ahead and that would be the end of that.

100mil+ tech base that the older server accounts would have, would be the hardest thing to level 1.5 to 2.0 more so

~HEIMDALL~

Return to “Feature Request”