Post all Typos here!

If you find any bugs in the game please post them here. DO NOT POST EXPLOITS.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Re: Post all Typos here!

Postby Wlerin » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 13:25

Your wrath is irrelevant. Grammatically, their or his is correct. Her is not, unless all possible referents are female. His has historically been used when the gender of the referent is unknown.

We wouldn't have this problem if certain overzealous crackpots hadn't confused grammatical gender with sex. The problem is even further exacerbated by using gender (historically a purely linguistic term) as a euphemism for sex.

Lyra
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Lyra » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 20:18

I was winding you up :P :(
Wlerin wrote: We wouldn't have this problem if certain overzealous crackpots hadn't confused grammatical gender with sex. The problem is even further exacerbated by using gender (historically a purely linguistic term) as a euphemism for sex.
I totally agree - indeed I'd go further and add in the confusion of the person with the role they hold. So guildmaster is my role (gender masculine) not my sex (female) thus I am not the guildmistress which has a whole bunch of other connotations and we won't go there :snooty:

But anyway - that's all irrelevant to the confusion of the prepositions in the countdown to the speed server, which was the important bit (and is fixed).

Pylinaer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Pylinaer » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 19:15

On a player page when you hit "List Bases" but have not seen any bases of theirs:

Known player bases
No bases of this player are present in the regions where you have bases, fleets or recent visited by your fleets.

instead of the underlined portion it would be better to say "recently visited with your fleets" or "had fleets recently"

edit: removed first one (after rereading, didn't make sense either).
Last edited by Pylinaer on Tue 06 Nov, 2012 22:50, edited 2 times in total.

Zoran wrote:
Achilles wrote:whats a cheezburger?
Isn't that the yellow thing you get under your Avatar if you've been bad? :paranoid:
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 19:43

Pylinaer wrote:On a player page when you hit "List Bases" but have not seen any bases of theirs:

Known player bases
No bases of this player are present in the regions where you have bases, fleets or recent visited by your fleets.

instead of the underlined portion it would be better to say "were recently visited by your fleets", "recently visited with your fleets", or "had fleets recently"
No bases of this player are present in regions where you have fleets or bases, or in regions recently visited by your fleets.

Best I can come up with. The problem is that the third qualifier violates parallelism, and so needs to be in a separate list from fleets and bases.

AggressiveTurtle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: 1st
SoT
USSV
AYAYA
BDSM

Postby AggressiveTurtle » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 21:46

I have to agree with wlerin, his points are flawless.

[02:34:48] Chrkolby: masa is a *beep*
[02:34:58] slayerr: he's like the indian version of jay z
[02:35:24] Minesh: oh god lol
AggressiveTurtle » Thu 26 May, 2011 17:45 wrote: Return of the King?? pfft i was always here >.>
Pylinaer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Pylinaer » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 22:53

Wlerin wrote: The problem is that the third qualifier violates parallelism, and so needs to be in a separate list from fleets and bases.
No bases of this player are present in regions where you have had fleets recently.
No bases of this player are present in regions where you had fleets recently.

I fail to see how that one doesn't work.

(the first suggestion however...is another story, and thus removed)

Zoran wrote:
Isn't that the yellow thing you get under your Avatar if you've been bad? :paranoid:
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 13:53

It doesn't work in combination with the other two words (fleets and bases).

Your second suggestion (from the original three, so now the first) also doesn't work.

Bones
Galaxy: Beta

Postby Bones » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 15:52

Wlerin wrote:
Pylinaer wrote:On a player page when you hit "List Bases" but have not seen any bases of theirs:

Known player bases

instead of the underlined portion it would be better to say "were recently visited by your fleets", "recently visited with your fleets", or "had fleets recently"
No bases of this player are present in regions where you have fleets or bases, or in regions recently visited by your fleets.

Best I can come up with. The problem is that the third qualifier violates parallelism, and so needs to be in a separate list from fleets and bases.
None of this players bases are present in areas where you have fleets, bases or in regions recently visited by your fleets.

Should not have two "or" in the same sentence like that and the comma is in the wrong place.

Abandon Ye All Hope!
Pylinaer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Pylinaer » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 07:09

Hmm... this presents a very unique problem. I think just the whole sentence needs restructuring, how however... I don't know.

Zoran wrote:
Lyra
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Lyra » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 08:50

you cannot qualify "unique"; it is, or it isn't :neutral2:

How about....
This player has no bases in areas where you have fleets or bases, or in regions that your fleets have recently visited.
Last edited by Lyra on Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Pylinaer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Pylinaer » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 23:11

My horrible grammar isn't important when it's not being suggested as the phrase, it's the phrase in the game that we are trying to fix.

Plus I believe I spy 2 "recently" in your suggested statement.
Lyra wrote: This player has no bases in areas where you have fleets or bases, or in regions that your fleets have recently recently visited.

Zoran wrote:
Lyra
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Lyra » Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:07

Liez! :paranoid:

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:20

Bones wrote:
Wlerin wrote:No bases of this player are present in regions where you have fleets or bases, or in regions recently visited by your fleets.

None of this player's bases are present in areas where you have fleets, bases or in regions recently visited by your fleets.

Should not have two "or" in the same sentence like that and the comma is in the wrong place.
There's nothing wrong with my comma >:U

Or my 'or' for that matter. They are two separate lists. Or rather, one is nested within the other (hence the comma).

I do like what you did with the start of the sentence, though it's still not quite there.

And all that said, the whole thing is far too wordy. I'm not sure the reason no bases are visible needs to be included here, for example. It could just say something like "No bases currently on record."

Also, don't be changing regions to areas. Regions has a very specific meaning in this context.

Bones
Galaxy: Beta

Postby Bones » Sun 18 Nov, 2012 23:03

Wlerin wrote:
Bones wrote:
Wlerin wrote:No bases of this player are present in regions where you have fleets or bases, or in regions recently visited by your fleets.

None of this player's bases are present in areas where you have fleets, bases or in regions recently visited by your fleets.

There's nothing wrong with my comma >:U

Or my 'or' for that matter. They are two separate lists. Or rather, one is nested within the other (hence the comma).

I do like what you did with the start of the sentence, though it's still not quite there.

And all that said, the whole thing is far too wordy. I'm not sure the reason no bases are visible needs to be included here, for example. It could just say something like "No bases currently on record."

Also, don't be changing regions to areas. Regions has a very specific meaning in this context.
Ok actually you're right about it being far too long.

How about:
This player has no bases where you have fleet, bases or regions visited recently.

Abandon Ye All Hope!
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Mon 19 Nov, 2012 04:48

Bones wrote: Ok actually you're right about it being far too long.

How about:
This player has no bases where you have fleet, bases or regions visited recently.
That is so grammatically flawed that it literally makes me cringe.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."

Return to “Bug Report”