To all Riddle/PUB players.

Reverend Redrum
Guild: STEEL
WTF?
Galaxy: Nova

Re: To all Riddle/PUB players.

Postby Reverend Redrum » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 12:33

JuanitoJones wrote:
Reverend Redrum wrote:What's best for the majority of players is the best solution.
Correction. What's best for the majority of upgraded players is the best solution.

AE is a business. They have to protect their revenue, and I wholeheartedly believe that at least half the upgraded players were directly or indirectly affected by this massive blob move.

Whether or not the crash was directly caused by the blob war or by fantastic coincidence someone decided to attack the server at that exact time is irrelevant really.
It is a business. And I am upgraded. What happens to my piddly little 11 mil. fleet sitting out is important to me. Spent time building it. But being fair to all the players is more important to me. Otherwise it's not worth playing.

- Real Ninjas drive Corvettes...
- When cooked in the Holy Mushroom Cloud, you all taste like chicken...
Reverend Redrum
WTF?

Postby Reverend Redrum » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:06

I've been rather driven off point. This thread was created under the presumption that the GM's of the top ranking guilds in Gamma would come to a concensus about how to deal with this crash. While I respect the strategic skills of anyone to rise to such a position, they do not represent me or the majority of Gamma. We've all been affected, and hopefully the Admins will solve this problem in a way that's fair to all.
I've probbably pissed-off many people. Couldn't care less. As long as the game stays fair for ALL the players, I'll keep playing.

JuanitoJones
Silver Member
Silver Member
Galaxy: Gamma

Postby JuanitoJones » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:09

It's already been resolved. Get with the programme.

Oi, phear ze Jiddisch Jihad ye goyim.
LT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: bye all!

Postby LT » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:13

Reverend Redrum wrote:
Orat wrote:Symptom appeared more like a choking SQL server/database, perhaps with underlying bug, overload of pipes due to unusually high activity. Which escalated due to thousands of re-submits and further down-spiraling. But it could have been a combination of several factors. It does however remain a fact that there has been issues previously, on other servers I've played, where peaks causes lag (which I believe is due to relational/db or db server constraints).

A 24hr reset with proper warning to all is IMHO the only fair way fwd. The question is of course what backup routines AE has with rgds to backup/restore, and what incremental data they can restore, e.g. what is possible.

AE does apparently not have necessary resilience or redundancy to fully call themselves a global provider. If they did load balancing and/or clustered SQL servers possibly could have reduced/changed impact. I bet I'm not the only one who's been in a similar funk (as admin) and as a result, learned some lessons.

It is sad for AE, they certainly got a huge job now to rebuild confidence, from paying customers as well as all others. Without people it will die quickly.
Translated into English, system overload due to lack of accounting for all variables properly. I agree. If someone having the skills to hack it did for personal benefit, this person would almost have to be smart enough to be a great deal more subtle. The only other possibilties that would make sense would be either a disgruntled employee/ex-employee or a competitor (Online gaming is surprisingly competitive, they often send recruiters into other games and worse.). When you have too many seperate applications trying to write to a single random-access file on a hard-drive, the data often gets schlubbed. Probably what happened.
Last time these monster fleets appeared was in Delta AYAYA/SIM vs GRITS FLEET etc and that fail of a server was due a ddos attack. Never in my playing career since beta have i witnessed the regular lag making monsterfleets like that. And also have heard about that there is a hack called unlimited fleet..as far as I heard its an old trick but maybe someone was able to do it again..who knows. I am pretty much done debating. most of the most active fleets in gamma were in this figth. No offense to any of the smaller guys even on upgraded accounts. But atm 80% or so of the active upgraded players got unorthodox results due to the crash or whatever. If they dont roll back because someone might loose a base hit or some such thing then ae is making a serious business mistake on their behalf.

just saying...and all the GMs involved on the crash i have spoken with agree on this. We didnt want this to happen we wanted to have a fun crash.

TheSpunkyOne wrote:I blame Rahab
He killed Gamma
LT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby LT » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:15

JuanitoJones wrote:It's already been resolved. Get with the programme.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Gamma server service will be restored today around 22:00 (server time).

As the server problems caused databases issues, the database will be restored from a backup saved day 31 July at 6:00 (server time).

We apologize for any inconvenience.

He killed Gamma
Kraton
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: DS, LOVE

Postby Kraton » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:17

LT wrote: We didnt want this to happen we wanted to have a fun crash.
This one million times over! hopefully with wiz sorting it we'll all be able to watch/fight in the fun crash soon! ive already got my popcorn and id hate to waste it :D

Hasta La Victoria Siempre
Reverend Redrum
WTF?

Postby Reverend Redrum » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:18

Gee. I had checked a bit ago. Thanks for pointing that out so kindly. You're a gentleman and a schollar. Note the sarcasm.

LT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby LT » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:19

Kraton wrote:
This one million times over! hopefully with wiz sorting it we'll all be able to watch/fight in the fun crash soon! ive already got my popcorn and id hate to waste it :D
I might have to ask first if they got servers secured before launching anything...

He killed Gamma
Kraton
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: DS, LOVE

Postby Kraton » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:24

LT wrote:
Kraton wrote:
I might have to ask first if they got servers secured before launching anything...
Dont worry if the servers die again they'll just reset it ;)

Hasta La Victoria Siempre
LT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby LT » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:35

lol
+1

He killed Gamma
Reverend Redrum
WTF?

Postby Reverend Redrum » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:39

Looking forward to seeing this crash (observing as a personal learning experience). Hope nobody punks-out. May the Holy Mushroom Cloud be with you all. :pray:

JuanitoJones
Silver Member
Silver Member
Galaxy: Gamma

Postby JuanitoJones » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:41

Reverend Redrum wrote:Looking forward to seeing this crash (observing as a personal learning experience). Hope nobody punks-out. May the Holy Mushroom Cloud be with you all. :pray:
I'll certainly wear the spaghetti strainer next time.

Oi, phear ze Jiddisch Jihad ye goyim.
Reverend Redrum
WTF?

Postby Reverend Redrum » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 14:44

JuanitoJones wrote:
Reverend Redrum wrote:Looking forward to seeing this crash (observing as a personal learning experience). Hope nobody punks-out. May the Holy Mushroom Cloud be with you all. :pray:
I'll certainly wear the spaghetti strainer next time.
Don't forget the whirllin' egg-beater. Never go into battle unarmed. :lol:

Ekac II

Postby Ekac II » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 17:01

Reverend Redrum wrote:
Gee. I had checked a bit ago. Thanks for pointing that out so kindly. You're a gentleman and a schollar. Note the sarcasm.
You just sound like a [*] who's got his panties in a bunch because your sense of self importance and ideals have been affected and you felt the need to [*] about [*] you did not need to. Scholar is with a single lowercase "l", by the way.

"For the good of everyone who plays." Shut the [*] up. People spent thousand's of hour's on their account's over year's of careful building lost ALL of their mobiles and you want to complain for the lesser kittens who have spent an insignificant amount of time playing and whom have really yet to build anything worth them [*] over? (Such as all of STEEL)

[*].

Malchiah
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: G-DS
N-Legio/BOB/SLS

Postby Malchiah » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 17:59

Scholar is indeed spelled with one lowercase L...

But "thousands," "hours," "accounts" and "years" are not possessive and don't need your grocer's apostrophes. ;)

Return to “Gamma”