A change in strategy

If you want to give constructive feedback about the game this is the right place (no discussing of warnings and/or bans allowed). Game feedback ONLY, if you want to discuss the forum, wiki or portal use the appropriate forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
This section is for game feedback ONLY, please don't post feature requests or your topic will be removed and you will be warned by a moderator.
Nvek
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: Hydra: [S.T]

A change in strategy

Postby Nvek » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 17:32

Hi all,

As we all know this game is suffering from a steep decline in player numbers, this has been happening for a long time and many solutions have been proposed, but very few implemented.
Most ideas entail changes to the game itself, devs have allways (for good reasons) been very conservative about those and considering that they are now working on a new game rather than updating this one I think we can forget about any of them being implemented.

A long time ago I posted a simple idea to retain new players that would not actually change the game, it was one of the few ideas that was actually implemented and the devs implemented it allmost to the letter of my idea, I am talking about the 2.0 graphic update (mind you the 2.0 game changes like FM were not my idea).

In this section of the forum we can read a recent feedback from a new player, he specifically mentions that the modern graphics were a reason for him to give the game a try, so far so good my idea seems to have worked.
However he then continues to say the he didnt stick with the game because he didnt like the gameplay experience and then goes on to state the reasons, these reasons should not be new to anyone here; he tried the newest server, got farmed out and left disappointed.

This means that something more is needed if AE is to retain the few new players that still find their way to this game.
Right now the owners advertise the newest server as the best place for a new player to go, while us old players in fact know that the new servers nowadays are a highly competitive place where AE veterans use highly professional tactics to ´win´ a server and any new players dont stand a chance and will get farmed out.

So, how do we change this experience?
Right now AE releases a new server every 3 months, I would propose to change that to 6 months, instead adding a new cluster to Alpha in 3 months time, and advertising this as the best place for new players to go whilst adding a warning to the new server sign up that this is mostly intended for players that allready know how to play.

So the coming year would look like this, in 3 months 80s are added to alpha, 3 months later a new server, 3 months after that add 90s to Alpha etc.
If this is a success devs could consider the same strategy for beta after Alpha gets the 90s, though I will recognize that the chance of success on other old servers than Alpha is smaller.

Will this not lead to the same type of farming in the A80s as seen on new servers?
I dont think so, Alpha guilds/players have allways stood behind the ´alpha rules´ and any such farming would cause an outrage among the older accounts and massive pressure to stop such conduct, the reason is simple; it has been these rules that have kept this server the only old server that is still very much alive.
I know this from experience leading a guild in the A50s back when it opened.

Either way the current devs strategy is only leading to an ever more rapid decline, so I think this simple idea is worth a try, back in the hayday of AE adding clusters to existing servers was a proven strategy, why not fall back on it in an effort to at least slow down the decline?

Alpha: [BORG]Nvek of Romulus Delta: [GRITS]Romulus (retired)Fenix: [RSE]Nvek of Romulus (retired) Pasta: [~0] Drag Queen (retired) Quantum [ITS]Nvek of Romulus(retired) Drako: [FOX]Bill O'Reilly(retired) Hydra: [ST]Woof
Mr PiPE
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: A change in strategy

Postby Mr PiPE » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 20:32

Nobody plays this game for graphics, or starts it due to that baddy, unanimated cruiser they saw. Sim city has better graphics. Your idea or not, it was potato.

On to lolalpha harboring the noobs... You don't think current players would start those clusters just to wreck the newb farms? I know I would. With 8 hard hitting multis. It's all about the self pleasure.

Keep up the suggestions. I like the enthusiasm.

sorcerer_cao wrote:Do U know how much members want to kill U? Pipe

There's no shame in the self pleasure game
Nvek
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: Hydra: [S.T]

Postby Nvek » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 22:55

Mr PiPE wrote:Nobody plays this game for graphics, or starts it due to that baddy, unanimated cruiser they saw. Sim city has better graphics. Your idea or not, it was potato.

On to lolalpha harboring the noobs... You don't think current players would start those clusters just to wreck the newb farms? I know I would. With 8 hard hitting multis. It's all about the self pleasure.

Keep up the suggestions. I like the enthusiasm.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.
I know players play this game for the gameplay, not the graphics, I myself still use the AE original skin simply because that is what I´m used to.
The animated ships have no function in the game and werent my idea, my idea was the screen where you see your base on an astro and could click on buildings like research centers to get to your research, though on the other hand I did imply the game could use an overall graphic update.
Thing is that if the game still looked like 10 years ago/not up to par with other similar browser strategy games new players would probably not even give the gameplay a chance.

This is history though and my post is more about the future, how to retain new players that are giving the game a chance.
Perhaps you are right that with the current type of players this would allso attrack some of the cheaters to Alpha.

However as apposed to a new server new players would be able to join old guilds/blocks and as soon as movement is no longer restricted the tables would turn.
In fact this would give some of the older accounts some action while rebuilding (simming) during peace time.

Alpha: [BORG]Nvek of Romulus Delta: [GRITS]Romulus (retired)Fenix: [RSE]Nvek of Romulus (retired) Pasta: [~0] Drag Queen (retired) Quantum [ITS]Nvek of Romulus(retired) Drako: [FOX]Bill O'Reilly(retired) Hydra: [ST]Woof
Mr PiPE
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Mr PiPE » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 23:07

I hate when I'm snooty and rude, and the victim replies being all civil.

sorcerer_cao wrote:Do U know how much members want to kill U? Pipe

There's no shame in the self pleasure game
atom man
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby atom man » Wed 31 May, 2017 03:45

:wall:
Mr PiPE wrote:I hate when I'm snooty and rude, and the victim replies being all civil.
:bleh:

Now I find this out, and mods if you are around no yellow please.

ever been on a dev server. :neutral2: I have paid for one. :eh: :wink: :dance: :eh: /agreed :paranoid:

Sigma Barn teh come back kid. :whisle: :think: . :clap:
Whis
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Postby Whis » Wed 31 May, 2017 19:33

Did someone mention lemonz? 8-)

Return to “Feedback”