Point of the situation

If you want to give constructive feedback about the game this is the right place (no discussing of warnings and/or bans allowed). Game feedback ONLY, if you want to discuss the forum, wiki or portal use the appropriate forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
This section is for game feedback ONLY, please don't post feature requests or your topic will be removed and you will be warned by a moderator.
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Point of the situation

Postby Philosopher Cody » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 19:35

Wizard wrote:Taking this opportunity to make a short point of the situation and reply to some of your questions.

Why no updates to Astro Empires in the recent times?

The reason is that our staff is very limited, currently is only me and one more person in the game developing, and we have been worked in the new game Astro Legends, a complex game that requires lots of work and focus.

So? You get money from upgrades and ads. Hire a consultant, firm, or person to make some changes. This is not a real issue.

Wizard wrote:Why a new game and not add new features to Astro Empires?

We have worked in Astro Empires for years, unfortunately even with the constant work the player base have keep decreasing (as is normal in every game after a while), and is hard to keep working when there is no longer a financial outcome from it. We decided to work in a new title using part of the Astro Empires material and lore, a game that I wanted to do at some time, and hope to bring a new audience and use it also to promote Astro Empires. It all goes well it can help the company and also the Astro Empires game.

A new game will not help the current AE. The game needs a major facelift which you have ignored for ten years. Do you honestly think something will maintain itself without work? There is a financial outcome from AE. You have failed to take advantages of the changing times, from expanding onto a mobile app, to fixing cheating, to also fixing your multiple accounts problem. Hard for new people who play on a cell phone to play this game when they get flagged for cheating because 2 people are using the same IP address. Failure to change is fatal to any organization. Failing in and of itself is a learning experience.

This game is at the point in which a high school kid can more or less code it. There are no high end graphics, animations, etc. For the most part it is very basic and simple.

You have had 10 years to work on this game, and very little to nothing has been done. You want more members, then you need to make changes such as:
1. Having a list generate of all the new members who joined the game in the last 24 hours so they can be messaged and contacted by guilds. Let guilds recruit easier in game.
2. Allowing new players to catch up to older ones.
3. Exportation to mobile app/integration. Let people play on computer or cell phone.
4. Facelift of player interface and interaction.
5. Finish the scouting database that was supposed to be added years ago. Quality of life updates that make the game easier and less time consuming for players.

If you need cash fast, just do the following:
10 Million credits for 100 US Dollars
5 Million credits for 60 US Dollars
1 Million credits for 15 US Dollars

If you have enough new content people will spend money to get the latest and greatest stuff. Many people do not want to wait and earn stuff. Exploit that.

Wizard wrote:When you expect to have the new game ready?

We have been working in this new game intensely, even if we are only 2 persons working on this complex game, and we still have others activities like maintain Astro Empires game and company related tasks. Hope in the next year we have a playable Beta version. More than half the game mechanisms and asserts are completed and so far is looking good and enjoyable to play.

Thank you for all the support

Good luck with your new game. Hope it works out for you. I will not be there and I doubt that many here will never step foot into it.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 00:32

Wizard, please don't suddenly start listening to Cody. You've done well to ignore him thus far.

Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Philosopher Cody » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 19:17

Wlerin wrote:Wizard, please don't suddenly start listening to Cody. You've done well to ignore him thus far.

And look where that has gotten you so far. No updates. No changes. Not enough money to make changes to the game. A declining player population. If I were you I would not be proud of accomplishing those goals.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 23:03

Philosopher Cody wrote:
Wlerin wrote:Wizard, please don't suddenly start listening to Cody. You've done well to ignore him thus far.

And look where that has gotten you so far. No updates. No changes. Not enough money to make changes to the game. A declining player population. If I were you I would not be proud of accomplishing those goals.

Still doing better than if he had implemented any out of your long history of half-baked ideas. Not that everything you said above is bad, but the good points have been stated repeatedly by others who don't think e.g. introducing blatant pay to win is a good way to keep the game going.

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [CRUEL]

Postby Rajam » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:19

When I played my first play to win game I thought it would be a great thing to implement here. After playing P2W games off and on for a while I've come to the conclusion that they wouldn't be that great a thing to add into AE.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Philosopher Cody » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 15:04

Pay to win only works when the amount to pay to gain something only gives you very little. Just a slight marginal benefit so unless you pay over $10,000 you gain very little. And some people will pay over $10,000 over the course of a year. Sure those will be the players that have it all, but then again they are the ones funding the game for everyone else to enjoy and have fun with. You just need a good balance.

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rajam » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 20:20

Philosopher Cody wrote:Pay to win only works when the amount to pay to gain something only gives you very little. Just a slight marginal benefit so unless you pay over $10,000 you gain very little. And some people will pay over $10,000 over the course of a year. Sure those will be the players that have it all, but then again they are the ones funding the game for everyone else to enjoy and have fun with. You just need a good balance.

The problem with slight and marginal is that over time, it adds up.

Whis
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Postby Whis » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 21:12

Would the community be in favor of a pay to catch-up scenario in which money could be used to bring a new or low level account up to the level of say a top 100 account?

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rajam » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 23:31

I wouldn't. I only say this with the following thoughts in mind.

Activity trumps all in this game. A low level active can do really well for themselves. Obviously they won't be able to compete against a 300m fleet but someone active would get recruited pretty quickly regardless of the server. All guilds want active people.

You'd probably want a feature that prevented people from getting farmed out of the game WAY before a catch up feature.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong.:)

blahblah
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby blahblah » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 01:10

If someone wanted to pay to catch up on an old server
Why not
But considering most guilds can probably get you
An account for free can not see it making a lot of money

giving AE the bird since 2009
Whis
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Postby Whis » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:32

I remember seeing this post a long time ago, this is what I envision with a pay to win type of scenarios for AE:

Winchester wrote:Here are some preliminary ideas. I don't know anything about price points for microtransactions, so I'm just going to use letters for cost - Low, Medium, High. Some purchases will require an Upgrade, and some will be limited (X); these limitations could be quantity, must be above a certain level, limited in how many times you can purchase it a week/month/year, etc. Also, I'm going to start this with a classification system for who is eligible for which purchases.

Players are classified by tier; all players on lower tiers can purchase transactions for higher tiers. Example, a T2 can purchase anything from T2-T5. Eligibility tiers are as follows:

T1: Players with new account (seven days or fewer) on any server six months or older
T2: Players under level 30 on server that is 90+ days old
T3: Players with level 50% or below average level of top 1,000 accounts
T4: Players with level 75% or below average level of top 1,000 accounts
T5: All players

Transactions:

1: Instant, free outpost ship. L, T5, X
2: Instantly upgrade all techs to average levels of a level 30. H, T2
3: Instantly upgrade all techs to levels of rank 1,000 account. H, T3
4: Reduce fleet maintenance costs by 10% for one week. L, T5, X
5: One free base. M, T2, U, X
6: +10% economy multiplier for one week. M, T4, X
7: Provide access to scanners for one month. M, T5
8: Single use speed boost for capital ships - +100% of speed modified by tech, but not jumpgate. M, T5, X
9: +50% research capacity boost for single tech. M, T4, X
10: Instantly reduce production times by 25% empire-wide. M, T4, X
11: Instantly reduce production times by 50% empire-wide. M, T3, X
12: Freeze fleet maintenance cost (maintenance will not go up or down) for one week. M, T4
13: 100,000 credits toward structures (not instantaneous). M, T4, X
14: 250,000 credits toward structures (not instantaneous). M, T3, X
15: Seven days of vacation mode. M, T5, U, X
16: List of uncolonized astros (limit of two terrain types - player choice) in galaxy of choice. L, T2, X
17: +100% unit speed when moving between player's own bases. L, T5, X
18: Bases are hidden from any player more than 200% of own level unless that player has a base in the region or a fleet in the system. M, T3, U
19: Single use stealth for fleet - fleet is invisible for first 25% of flight, regardless of size. L, T4, X
20: 1,000,000 toward production (not instantaneous). M, T1, X

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rajam » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:04

So, if I read that correctly, the longest playing, highest leveled players wouldn't be able to spend very much cash?

Don't you think they'd would be the most likely to spend cash?

blahblah
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby blahblah » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 06:13

As long as it isn't instant fleet
Then longer term players benifits from having
Newer players joining servers
But not on new servers
Maybe if it was only in say alpha and beta
I mean how could it make older servers worse

giving AE the bird since 2009
Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rajam » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 15:32

I'm more pointing out that this is a two prong problem.

The player needs to be able to get value for their money without devaluing everything everyone has put into the game. The above solution takes care of the majority of that.

Wizard needs to make enough money to justify putting in the extra time and effort required to keep this game fresh.

Does the above suggestion satisfy both issues? Bear in mind that the longest term players will most likely be the ones spending their money, especially on older servers.

IrishEyes
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: Love-Audi-1st-OMG-DOG-PM-GOAT

Postby IrishEyes » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 21:51

KEY TIP

If you ever manage to bring out a new game, listen to your community, make updates add extras, you ruined ae by simply not listening to all the people who played it, that is the reason you had decreased members, it was never about the game losing people '' just due to time''.
It is because you didn't take any advice from anyone.

Return to “Feedback”