New Scouting Change is a step in the right direction

If you want to give constructive feedback about the game this is the right place (no discussing of warnings and/or bans allowed). Game feedback ONLY, if you want to discuss the forum, wiki or portal use the appropriate forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
This section is for game feedback ONLY, please don't post feature requests or your topic will be removed and you will be warned by a moderator.
Ron Burgandy
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: Ceti:ASG
Galaxy: Ceti

Re: New Scouting Change is a step in the right direction

Postby Ron Burgandy » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:16

swearengen wrote:What i would like to see put into the game
exp needs to be changed.

Dont think player thats defending should get more exp then the attacker

Exp also needs to be broken down so we can see the difference from attacks and defends

No, the defender, at times, is able to use the XP gained from defending to train commanders to free themselves. Also XP doesn’t go into the calculation for level so I don’t see why it’s a big deal.

...lol plus why should i tell you?? your the one who wants to jump in and bite the lion on the nuts
I may not be active, but I am watching ... Always watching :twisted:
Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [CRUEL]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Rajam » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 15:12

Ron Burgandy wrote:
exp needs to be changed.

Exp also needs to be broken down so we can see the difference from attacks and defends

No, the defender, at times, is able to use the XP gained from defending to train commanders to free themselves. Also XP doesn’t go into the calculation for level so I don’t see why it’s a big deal.

What does any of this have to do with the thread topic?
Last edited by Rajam on Wed 31 Jan, 2018 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
swearengen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby swearengen » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 20:52

Ron Burgandy wrote:
exp needs to be changed.

im not saying the defender shouldnt get exp
just dont think it should be more then the attacker is all

CrazynTough Kiwi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guild: G2: Mayu
Galaxy: Lyra

Postby CrazynTough Kiwi » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 02:00

swearengen wrote:
Ron Burgandy wrote:
exp needs to be changed.

im not saying the defender shouldnt get exp
just dont think it should be more then the attacker is all

I'll point out that the exp gain is pure decided by fleet destroyed and levels, as shown below.

Code: Select all

If the enemy's level is above your level:

XP = (enemy/your level) /20 * Total Fleet destroyed

(max: 10% * Total fleet destroyed)

If your level is above the enemy's level:

XP = (enemy/your level)^2 /20 * Total Fleet destroyed

This simply means identical levels get identical xp. The greater the difference between the higher and lower leveled players, the more xp the weaker player gets and the more the other one gets. I think this system is fair enough.

Now onto other matters. I think Wizard has the right idea but it is really weak compared to it's competitor. It just has a couple of small advantages over it's competitor.

• As mentioned before, it works on all devices and browsers. DSIS requires desktop Firefox in specific versions and a bit of setup. On the other hand, it only needs one user to populate the data within a galaxy for a DB, dulling this advantage for the new feature.
  • It will work when offline, or when you swap devices. With DSIS, you need to leave your comp logged in and running, and to not log in via mobile or anywhere else for a galaxy scan to complete.
  • It is legal within game rules. While DSIS users are rarely punished,it does happen, and DSIS is against the rules regardless of the frequency of bans.

But the new feature has many shortcomings. It is much slower, it is far less detailed than DSIS. It doesn't share data with your guild, nor does it allow you to search through your data conveniently.

Now, I'm not suggesting Wiz try to emulate them, but I'd suggest looking at upgrading AE's UI a bit, starting with adding the empire bar to all game pages on desktop, and additionally adding fleet move and attack shortcuts for personal fleets in astro view and on the fleets screen.

Honestly I feel like Wizard should approach the dsis devs and propose a sort of partnership. He could get DSIS somewhat stripped down in return for implementing it so it doesn't break every FF update.

I do like the idea of incomplete information that is being implemented in the game. There could be more information, but I don't think a player should be able to know something down to the fighter.

There was something else I wanted to say, but it's slipped my mind. So I'll sign off here.

AE Status: Zombie under the control of unknown entity.
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]

Postby Philosopher Cody » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 14:49

People are forgetting that the scout ships will most likely run 24/7 with zero downtime so even if they go a little slower you are getting more current and up to date information on a regular basis. Maybe you will be able to split the scout ships up into different galaxies. Having 3 or 4 galaxies with constant up to date intel will make the game more fun and everyone will be on a more equal footing.

SEWI
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: ASAE

Postby SEWI » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 18:13

love it.....3 scouts on their way on all upgraded servers...should have mapped all those servers in notime...:)

Same name...same guild...all servers... :biglaugh:
oeradon

Postby oeradon » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 02:54

The autoscout while a useful idea seems to me to be rather poorly implemented. How does a player get information? A scout could see 1B fleet coming in to a rock and what..... nothing.

It could see 1B fleet landed on a rock, and unless I click through every single system in a galaxy, I may never see it.

At the very LEAST, a report sent to the player would make this a useful feature.

swearengen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby swearengen » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 04:39

oeradon wrote:The autoscout while a useful idea seems to me to be rather poorly implemented. How does a player get information? A scout could see 1B fleet coming in to a rock and what..... nothing.

It could see 1B fleet landed on a rock, and unless I click through every single system in a galaxy, I may never see it.

At the very LEAST, a report sent to the player would make this a useful feature.

Dont forget the update that was just recently done where u can see fleets
is also rounded

So an update made to the game that other then u not having to have broweser open
DSIS is still over all better

Wizard
Game & Development Director
Game & Development Director

Postby Wizard » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 04:44

oeradon wrote:The autoscout while a useful idea seems to me to be rather poorly implemented.

Is still work in progress, new features coming soon.
I have decided to implement it by steps, to get it faster in-game and players can also contribute with feedback and ideas. Is also easy to balance implementing by steps.

Wizard
Astro Empires Administration
swearengen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby swearengen » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 04:50

Wizard wrote:
oeradon wrote:The autoscout while a useful idea seems to me to be rather poorly implemented.

I have decided to implement it by steps, to get it faster in-game and players can also contribute with feedback and ideas. Is also easy to balance implementing by steps.

you want feedback and ideas from players AFTER u put a change in
Why not post the ideas u have for the playerbase to give u feedback on what you want/planning to change/make
Why not just talk to the ppl that made the DSIS
instead of trying to implement something new from scratch.

Plain to see you are trying to put things into the game in try to increase players to spend money for upgrades.
Which is a fine idea to try (other then you are about 3 years late to the party)

Still cheaper to use the DSIS and ALOT more bang for the buck

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [CRUEL]

Postby Rajam » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 06:09

Haters gonna hate!

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
AbeTeddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: H:[IC]
I:[WL]
Galaxy: Epsilon

Postby AbeTeddy » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 12:52

I for one am interested to see where this goes. I agree with those saying that you guys should get some kind of partnership with DSIS guys. If you feel that adding a database would be hard on your servers, maybe DSIS can offer space.

Or maybe a small increase in upgrade prices (nothing too big or the member base will have pitchforks out) can help cover the extra server cost. (DSIS I believe offers their databases at a price that would average 0.05 USD per member in a 100 member guild), so don't know if most people would prefer that.

I really do like that you can now scout without leaving your computer open, and can do it on mobile, and look forward to future additions to this feature!

G2: BmF, H2: FTA, I2: DNH Sigma: SITH, J2: #1 K2: FTW
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]

Postby Philosopher Cody » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 14:20

I am so surprised to see a few haters. If you do not like the changes, then do not use the Auto Scout feature. It does not effect your game play experience. If you do not like it and ignore it, it will not effect or change how you play the game. But for many DSIS is not an option such as for smaller guilds and it turns away newer players. Having an in game feature will go a long way to making the game better. I like so far what I have seen and I am waiting to see the final product once all of the stages are released and implemented. I see the day coming where all guilds are on an even playing field for scouting and intel.

Ratimus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: TFR
Galaxy: Beta

Postby Ratimus » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 15:38

Wizard wrote:

I am glad because i hate to see the crying if you rolled the whole thing in and something happened

It seems wiser to roll it in in steps that way its a smooth roll in

(hey how about guild upgrade for a Db attached to it ? ) put money where you need it and makes it freely available

Postby Tarenty » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 20:16

I'm also grateful and excited about the changes being made. Thank you Wizard for the additions you have been making recently, they are sincerely appreciated and I and others I know are hopeful for more.

Return to “Feedback”