Shared guild database patch feedback

If you want to give constructive feedback about the game this is the right place (no discussing of warnings and/or bans allowed). Game feedback ONLY, if you want to discuss the forum, wiki or portal use the appropriate forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
This section is for game feedback ONLY, please don't post feature requests or your topic will be removed and you will be warned by a moderator.
User avatar
Sean Likes Pandas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:40
Reputation: 89
Guild: D2-[DOGE] VGM & more.
Galaxy: Pegasus

Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Sean Likes Pandas » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 16:05

I believe that giving the + priv to see the databases is one of the biggest stand-out problems atm. In guilds everyone (upgraded) will ask for the + priv now but the + priv can view activity (not essential) and can now view the database (fairly essential). Most guilds like to keep the amount of people with inactivity privs down as spies are pretty common.

The best option I believe would be to make a new privilege, but if you don't want to for whatever the reason, I would recommend attaching the view of the shared database to the T privs as titles aren't realistically too important while + is very.

User avatar
Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Tue 22 May, 2007 05:43
Reputation: 185
Guild: [CRUEL]
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Rajam » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 16:46

Agreed with that.

I'd like to add a couple other observations as well. This may not be relevant to the topic but I'll assume this is a general feedback to the update and go with that.

It appears that any region with a guild base allows you to see the base as if you had a base there. I really like that(I hope it is intentional and not an oversight).
I like the galaxy view showing you the systems scouted(ie. the systems are colored vs. grayed out if they haven't been scouted).

On a side note I'm curious why you cannot use the "current location" box and it's sorting features on the galaxy map for galaxies you haven't scouted personally. I can click on any recently scouted region and if I click the correct astro it will tell me if there is a guild base there if the info was updated by a guild member but I can't sort or see it on the map. That seems a little weird.

A couple of requests.
Add a sub category to the account scouting report. Have this be all of your guild scanners. This would be one spot for the up to the minute info.
It would be nice to have a report showing which galaxies/regions are un-scouted and/or oldest scouted.
It would be nice to see a lot/some of the reports visually. Meaning that you could possibly see fleets on the galaxy map, sort between moving and stationary etc.

Also, unrelated but a definite BIG thing I'd love to see is a trade finding/filling feature. That may be asking too much but it's the one thing I've used the "competition" for more than anything else.

Good job over all, thanks for the attention to the game.
Last edited by Rajam on Thu 19 Apr, 2018 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
User avatar
Sean Likes Pandas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:40
Reputation: 89
Guild: D2-[DOGE] VGM & more.
Galaxy: Pegasus

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Sean Likes Pandas » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 17:02

Rajam wrote:Also, unrelated but a definite BIG thing I'd love to see is a trade finding/filling feature. That may be asking too much but it's the one thing I've used the "competition" for more than anything else.

Was going to post about this too. lol. Same for me.

I would say that if a trade finder was going to be implemented in the future, I would prioritize it over the reports for the scouting after changing the priv from + to whatever.

User avatar
Wizard
Game & Development Director
Game & Development Director
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sat 27 May, 2006 14:36
Reputation: 8
Contact:

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Wizard » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 20:22

Rajam wrote:On a side note I'm curious why you cannot use the "current location" box and it's sorting features on the galaxy map for galaxies you haven't scouted personally. I can click on any recently scouted region and if I click the correct astro it will tell me if there is a guild base there if the info was updated by a guild member but I can't sort or see it on the map. That seems a little weird.
Fixed now.

Rajam wrote:Also, unrelated but a definite BIG thing I'd love to see is a trade finding/filling feature. That may be asking too much but it's the one thing I've used the "competition" for more than anything else.
Is on the plans :)

Sean Likes Pandas wrote:I believe that giving the + priv to see the databases is one of the biggest stand-out problems atm. In guilds everyone (upgraded) will ask for the + priv now but the + priv can view activity (not essential) and can now view the database (fairly essential). Most guilds like to keep the amount of people with inactivity privs down as spies are pretty common.
I wanted to place some permission to access the guild scout information because you can get all guild bases and fleets listed and some guilds may not like to share that will all guild members because of spies. But I also don't wanted to add more permissions and the "+" seems the more related... but I understand is not a perfect solution.

Wizard
Astro Empires Administration
User avatar
Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Tue 22 May, 2007 05:43
Reputation: 185
Guild: [CRUEL]
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Rajam » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 21:00

Thanks Wizard!!

This is looking pretty good so far.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!
User avatar
Sean Likes Pandas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:40
Reputation: 89
Guild: D2-[DOGE] VGM & more.
Galaxy: Pegasus

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Sean Likes Pandas » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 21:11

Wizard wrote:
Sean Likes Pandas wrote:I believe that giving the + priv to see the databases is one of the biggest stand-out problems atm. In guilds everyone (upgraded) will ask for the + priv now but the + priv can view activity (not essential) and can now view the database (fairly essential). Most guilds like to keep the amount of people with inactivity privs down as spies are pretty common.
I wanted to place some permission to access the guild scout information because you can get all guild bases and fleets listed and some guilds may not like to share that will all guild members because of spies. But I also don't wanted to add more permissions and the "+" seems the more related... but I understand is not a perfect solution.

Yeah, this was one of the things I though of some. Being able to connect to the database has nothing to do with titles but is in line with the path of "additional information" like inactivity permissions.

I guess it being connected to inactivity could be the correct decision and players will have to adapt to it. Now that I think about it more, I can't think of a correct answer. I think this is something players will have to play with for some time and later post if there is seriously a problem.

Good job on the new features!

User avatar
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 02:17
Reputation: 14
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Philosopher Cody » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 14:22

I like how Wizard is still improving upon the existing feature. His mention about the a trade finder/tool being in the works will be a great addition to the game. It might even free up a board that guilds use to post their trades on. I think things are going in the right direction. You will never be able to make everyone happy, but this is definitely a vast improvement and a welcomed change.

User avatar
MaxDrake
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 08:36
Reputation: 7
Guild: ...
Juno
Nova
Omega
...
Galaxy: Omega

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby MaxDrake » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:23

I have a concern with this because once a spy gets the ability to see where all a guild's fleets are going, there is more of a chance that the opponent can catch up with you. Is there a way to make it so the player can turn off this feature while on secret or running like mad to save my fleet operations?

User avatar
Death Smurf
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:23
Reputation: 42
Guild: BORG - A
SS - B
MOJO (GM) - C

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Death Smurf » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:08

MaxDrake wrote:I have a concern with this because once a spy gets the ability to see where all a guild's fleets are going, there is more of a chance that the opponent can catch up with you. Is there a way to make it so the player can turn off this feature while on secret or running like mad to save my fleet operations?


The DSIS has a similar feature.

You have to be at ViceAdmin in order to use it. Effectively, stating a base location that is to be "masked" and you give it a tme duration. So taking away the time duration option and giving it a fixed 48hr window (and the same location can't be re-used for a 7 day period), would probably be feasible.

Ceti Historian:
> The Ceti Historian
* Has received a R/L death threat about AE (gimme the e-tears!)
User avatar
Tomination
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue 26 Feb, 2008 21:57
Reputation: 95
Guild: WL/STARK
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Contact:

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Tomination » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 21:29

Appreciate the new features you have added to the game recently, thanks!

Welcome to the Tomination: If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Formerly played Alpha (2008 - 2013) (CLS), Currently playing Lynx (WL/STARK)
naethel
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:23
Reputation: 7

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby naethel » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 09:59

100% agree with OP, and would also like to thank for the new features, i swear this is getting bigger every day :p

IrishEyes wrote: I'm not the guy who needs a huge fleet and player advantage to win.

8-)
User avatar
Sean Likes Pandas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:40
Reputation: 89
Guild: D2-[DOGE] VGM & more.
Galaxy: Pegasus

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Sean Likes Pandas » Thu 03 May, 2018 17:33

Not sure if I like the guild databases anymore in the context of "Moving Fleets" or at the very least require and action to parse moving fleet rather than it be automatic.

Now that I've been in a lot of situations with this implemented, I can have a say on it.

People are able to just spam refresh on my fleets/moving fleets in reports now which is slightly annoying. As previously I could sneak Dreadnoughts on enemy blobs while taking the risk of people hopefully not spotting me or upgraded enemies with bases in region of my moving fleet not checking their scanners. Now it's pretty much impossible to try and be creative and fun like this like I have in previous servers.

I'd like to say to get rid of the moving fleets tab or at the very least require and action to parse moving fleet rather than it be automatic. It seems to favor inactive players/guilds over active ones in general. If abused it completely changes the game and is super annoying.

DSIS wasn't completely game breaking because if you wanted to bring info to the database it took the effort of all these actions; changing to a lower version of Firefox, clicking the button to parse, waiting, etc. Now it's just completely easy now that everything is being parsed 24/7 as long as you are upgraded.

User avatar
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 02:17
Reputation: 14
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Philosopher Cody » Thu 03 May, 2018 21:29

Sean Likes Pandas wrote:Not sure if I like the guild databases anymore in the context of "Moving Fleets" or at the very least require and action to parse moving fleet rather than it be automatic.

Now that I've been in a lot of situations with this implemented, I can have a say on it.

People are able to just spam refresh on my fleets/moving fleets in reports now which is slightly annoying. As previously I could sneak Dreadnoughts on enemy blobs while taking the risk of people hopefully not spotting me or upgraded enemies with bases in region of my moving fleet not checking their scanners. Now it's pretty much impossible to try and be creative and fun like this like I have in previous servers.

I'd like to say to get rid of the moving fleets tab or at the very least require and action to parse moving fleet rather than it be automatic. It seems to favor inactive players/guilds over active ones in general. If abused it completely changes the game and is super annoying.

DSIS wasn't completely game breaking because if you wanted to bring info to the database it took the effort of all these actions; changing to a lower version of Firefox, clicking the button to parse, waiting, etc. Now it's just completely easy now that everything is being parsed 24/7 as long as you are upgraded.


I hate it when people mention DSIS. That thing has ruined AE and has taken away more fun than anything else. But back on the topic at hand. If you want to be able to sneak ships in, and that is the issue, then detection times perhaps need to be adjusted. If it took longer to detect an incoming fleet then it would not show up. But on the flip slide we would have people complaining that scanners are now worthless because they fail to detect incoming fleet.

I think the nature of combat has changed, and instead of being dependent on inactivity to try and sneak in, you now need to good enough force to make your way in and not have to worry about being detected.

Not to mention that there are some people complaining that the defender does not have enough of a chance to stop an attacker. Now with auto scout the defender has more ability to stop an attack.

The battle tactics have changed. They have changed in the past before when bleed through was introduced. People adapted and figured out new ways of combat. Same will happen here.

Perhaps you need more of a rainbow fleet to make it into an area. Maybe fleet specialization is on its way out.

User avatar
Sean Likes Pandas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:40
Reputation: 89
Guild: D2-[DOGE] VGM & more.
Galaxy: Pegasus

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby Sean Likes Pandas » Fri 04 May, 2018 00:17

What.

All incoming fleet on reports has done is made people lazier imo in certain situations. Everything else is fine but the moving fleet is just a bit restrictive.

User avatar
xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 21:11
Reputation: 107

Re: Shared guild database patch feedback

Postby xJudicatorx » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 13:33

Since I've been back for a week or so, I wanted to give some feedback on this topic as well. I will start by seconding the most common complaint - that seeing guild scouting results should not be tied to + (or T by extension).
I find the Galaxy report pretty overwhelming. I'd suggest making it a region report either instead or also. This would have the added benefit of forcing a player to at least know where they are looking for brand new bases, instead of immediately telling them a new base has been placed the moment it is built.
Searching for empty astros to put a base on is *crucial*; far more important than the location of enemy bases.
Viewing an enemy base which has been scouted should show their last known level of defenses - otherwise, what is the point?
The "Guild" search is extraneous with Player and Galaxy available.

I've seen a rich man beg; I've seen a good man sin; I've seen a tough man cry.
I've sen a loser win and a sad man grin; I've heard an honest man lie.
Mostly Harmless AE page on facebook

Return to “Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests