Total votes: 61
Twin Blade
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: PPD
Galaxy: Nova

Did Strongholds ruin AE?

Postby Twin Blade » Sun 20 Jul, 2014 17:37

I come and go nowadays to see how the games doing. But i rather get bored after the initial days of a server. I miss the good old days were guilds were just scattered throughout and everyone kinda had to do their own thing.

Now we got blobs and stuff all the time. Its the same ol' stuff. that smell that just lingers even if you spray all sorts of Pinesol on it.

So whattdya think? I think it kinda killed a fun aspect in the game. .-.

SilverKnight wrote:The usual scenario is the “pro” player does a mediocre base hit, then plants the entire mobile on the base in an attempt to make the noob faint at the size of his penis.
shadow_knight
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Did Strongholds ruin AE?

Postby shadow_knight » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:15

Nah Strongholds actually helped a lot as it gave a lot of newer players more chances to learn it a more friendly environment by others in the same general vicinity.

What ruined AE was good competent players that have a decent/good player base following playing together so they all don't have to be stressed about doing all the work themselves. They train and teach great players how be be an amazing LS players but that means the same group get there loyalty (Which is a Great thing make no mistake) so they grow stronger while others don't. Quite a few groups just look short term or anti groups to much to grow as a whole.

What AE needs is another 1-2 groups like that. Honestly I was hoping Nards migration from their previous game a few servers ago would help much more than it did. Although I hear quite a few good players came from the group. I want there to be another migration on game to possible get another tight knit group with a complete LS to help the game or have some group step up.

Looking to sell myself for the Q server.
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 14:16

shadow_knight wrote:What AE needs is another 1-2 groups like that. Honestly I was hoping Nards migration from their previous game a few servers ago would help much more than it did. Although I hear quite a few good players came from the group. I want there to be another migration on game to possible get another tight knit group with a complete LS to help the game or have some group step up.
The pattern thus far is:

1) New group arrives.

2) New group either fails and leaves or is absorbed by existing groups, or succeeds.

3) If it succeeds, it still won't retain enough members to be viable after a few servers, so the remaining players decide to join forces with the only other group able to compete.

4) WoNigChina grows.

3) is oversimplified, there are a number of reasons this has happened, but the end result is that WNC has accumulated 80-90% of the still active skilled player base and leader base (some of which is homegrown). Also, Vile and Masa aren't properly represented by the name WNC but icba to find a better one and I ain't gonna use the current moniker.

shadow_knight
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby shadow_knight » Tue 22 Jul, 2014 13:09

While that might be true when a good group arrives it at least can provides a good server for a longer period of time. Plus there is more than just the WNC guild that good and if they joined one of those we could have multiple server power houses in the the same server instead of just one or two rotating which I think would be more interesting,

I'm still a believer that SH's didn't ruin the game either. which was the original purpose for my post but I kind just went off on a tangent.

Even so take Deity Lord's group for example they ran a fairly decent 50's guild on Gamma if I remember correctly and while Helion might be a completely dead server it lasted longer than most care to admit compared to the newer ones. RD was a major reason why it did as well. That server had caught a second and third wind and was basically won after a little over a year? Oh it had stagnate periods but it was decent server still even when the teens collapsed the server didn't die like most thought it would.

Looking to sell myself for the Q server.
Tomination
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: WL/STARK
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Tomination » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 21:43

My issue with Strongholds is purely the fact that you will be farmed out of the game if you do not join the local power.

And for some players - new ones especially, the local power doesn't even want them - so they have to leave the game.

I think the game can do more to help with this matter. By giving a base owner who is permanently occupied more advantages. So for example - Automatic 10% power boost after 48 hours of occupations (and this lasts for a month after occupation ends)

Other advantages - such as the economy going to the occupier getting lower each day and going back to base owner.

More Tutorial guidance on how to deal with being attacked. So many new players get attacked once and think they have lost - they don't get that you will be attacked from time to time. They think they "Lost" their base.

Welcome to the Tomination: If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Formerly played Alpha (2008 - 2013) (CLS), Currently playing Lynx (WL/STARK)
Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Sat 02 Aug, 2014 17:27

Tomination wrote:I think the game can do more to help with this matter. By giving a base owner who is permanently occupied more advantages. So for example - Automatic 10% power boost after 48 hours of occupations (and this lasts for a month after occupation ends)

Other advantages - such as the economy going to the occupier getting lower each day and going back to base owner.

More Tutorial guidance on how to deal with being attacked. So many new players get attacked once and think they have lost - they don't get that you will be attacked from time to time. They think they "Lost" their base.
I don't see how any of these help. They are still going to get farmed out, your changes just give them the illusion they can keep fighting.

A better solution is to make relocation easier.

EAS AGAMEMNON
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby EAS AGAMEMNON » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:30

Your writing: A better solution is to make relocation easier.

My strongest of mind disagree your post that make relocation easier. You or whosoever make them hurt those lower econ and loss fleets and smaller guild or unguild. Foe and allies won't invite her/ her for guild. Then s/he quit any servers and loss money for upgrade. Obviously Astro Empires staff's and guilds don't care people. I think, " shouldn't hold perma her/ him in any servers. I have lost my 3 friends and they never play back Astro Empires Game. Do you know Astro Empires, where do it come from?.. Spain. I know Astro Empires warn me again , My post is spam. Whatever AE Administration say it.

Death Smurf
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: MOJO (GM) - C (Retired)

Postby Death Smurf » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:02

EAS AGAMEMNON wrote:Your writing: A better solution is to make relocation easier.

My strongest of mind disagree your post that make relocation easier. You or whosoever make them hurt those lower econ and loss fleets and smaller guild or unguild. Foe and allies won't invite her/ her for guild. Then s/he quit any servers and loss money for upgrade. Obviously Astro Empires staff's and guilds don't care people. I think, " shouldn't hold perma her/ him in any servers. I have lost my 3 friends and they never play back Astro Empires Game. Do you know Astro Empires, where do it come from?.. Spain. I know Astro Empires warn me again , My post is spam. Whatever AE Administration say it.
Astroempires is established in Portugal.

Says it in the Terms of Use
Astro Empires is legally established in Portugal under Cybertopia, tax number PT509848923.

Astro Empires Software is Registered in Assoft (Portuguese Software Association), with the number 1304/D/06.

Astro Empires is a Registered Trademark.

Ceti Historian:
> The Ceti Historian
* Has received a R/L death threat about AE (gimme the e-tears!)
EAS AGAMEMNON
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby EAS AGAMEMNON » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:42

I already know AE game's IP address.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 11:38

And? What does that mean exactly? Why does it even matter?
Foe and allies won't invite him for guild.
Sure they will, unless he's a toxic player--in which case good riddance (though there may be guilds that like those kinds of players out there)--or terrible--in which case he's screwed regardless and no changes are going to improve his experience. The key is to communicate with other guilds, find one that's willing to take you in, and *then* relocate. Don't relocate first only to find out the new local guild doesn't want you.

Of course, as it is, even relocating to a safe environment severely damages your account, and it takes a while to get it back up and running. In the long run this won't matter ofc, as activity and skill will more than compensate for it, but in the short run it can be frustrating and lead to people quitting. Hence, make relocation easier.

JigokuShoujo
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: A: Ni/MIN
O:ADHD/OFATE
Andro: MJ
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby JigokuShoujo » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 19:59

Wlerin wrote:
Tomination wrote:I think the game can do more to help with this matter. By giving a base owner who is permanently occupied more advantages. So for example - Automatic 10% power boost after 48 hours of occupations (and this lasts for a month after occupation ends)

I don't see how any of these help. They are still going to get farmed out, your changes just give them the illusion they can keep fighting.

A better solution is to make relocation easier.
a better solution would be to make perma occing much more expensive for the occupier, maybe a system of diminishiing returns coupled with a faster defence regeneration option. like a % of original cost fee for instant regen once a base is liberated. a 10 percent power boost is just 2 command centers. relocation just encourages more isolationist blobbing and staring. mass invasions should not be the only viable combat mode in AE. it gets boring. anyways i found my own solution to that on Q.

also i think the DESU voting option is ~AWESOME~.

You make me violate you, no matter who you are!
Alpha and Omega. when in doubt i blame Grover.
JokeySmurf wrote:you guys i have a feeling you are not going to win against this one. Jig seems, Determined.
Death Smurf
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: MOJO (GM) - C (Retired)

Postby Death Smurf » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 23:22

EAS AGAMEMNON wrote:I already know AE game's IP address.
Are you sure you have that one right this time? You seemed to confuse Spain for Portugal last time, so anything is possible.

Ceti Historian:
> The Ceti Historian
* Has received a R/L death threat about AE (gimme the e-tears!)
Winchester
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Winchester » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 23:38

Death Smurf wrote:
EAS AGAMEMNON wrote:I already know AE game's IP address.
Are you sure you have that one right this time? You seemed to confuse Spain for Portugal last time, so anything is possible.
DS, don't bother with the troll. He isn't even a very good one.

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
Hasdrubal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Hasdrubal » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 07:49

There were many ideas how to rid of strongholds, each is abandoned by local (forum's) clamourers. Just a glimpse on Bravo servers shows how bad was to have this vital part of game unchanged.

SilverKnight
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Galaxy: Beta

Postby SilverKnight » Thu 22 Jan, 2015 06:56

Being part of the ORIGINAL stronghold, I can say a few things by experience :

1) If you are determined to break a stronghold, you can, but it is clearly playing the game on hard mode.

2) Occupation in AE does less damage to the occupied than it does in games like Civ2 or MOOII. Players can and SHOULD incorporate the occupied base as part of the the planning as an asset to use.

3) AE is designed to be a team game. Players wanting the game to favor the individual over the team are going to be disappointed.

These reasons are why I wrote on occupation from both points of view. How to occupy efficiently, and how to break occupation effectively. If you cannot fight while occupied, then you cannot fight at all. I was very much a factor in one war in Ceti, where half of my bases were occupied. And I did not even try to de-occupy them. I went on offense instead. My opponents cried a lot when I ambushed their recyclers with suicide corvettes. These are the things that make a game exciting. There is always something you can do, even when you are under occupation.

http://silverknight1966.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://silverknightonae.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In before lock doesn't count when you are the one asking for it :neutral2: -Themis

Return to “General”