The anti-bot question when registering to forum

General discussion forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

vys

The anti-bot question when registering to forum

Postby vys » Tue 08 May, 2018 09:10

I didn't know the answer was {hidden}. (You have to do a sort of captcha when signing up for the forum) -> What is the name of the first game server?

It's pretty hard (as in, harder than saying: whats twelve + half of six) to lookup. It will prevent a lot of people from signing up for the forum. And an active community means a happy game producer... :) Not everyone has been playing this game since 1997 or whatever.

So I suggest you guys change the captcha :)

Wizard
Game & Development Director

Re: The anti-bot question when registering to forum

Postby Wizard » Tue 08 May, 2018 11:51

We have tried that kind of generic questions and spammers keep registering. If you put "whats twelve + half of six" in google, it just give you the answer, being easy to any bot find out.

Game related questions have stop them. Is not hard to find out the answer if you look around, or ask some other player.

Still suggestions of questions are welcome.

Note: I have censor the answer on your text, to avoid bots/spammers see it and be cached by search engines.

Wizard
Astro Empires Administration
vys

Postby vys » Tue 08 May, 2018 12:15

Hmm ok. Interesting. I would invite you to check how many people actually click the "agree to forum rules button" and how many actually register :) My guess is you're losing a sh*t load of new registrations.

There are other ways to avoid spam bots.

For example:

Code: Select all

<input type="text" id="email" name="email">
but ask for nickname in stead of email. Bots will fail at this test. Or use Google's traffic signs captcha. Or recaptcha.
You can also use a hidden field. Users will never fill it in, but bots always want to fill it in. Once it's filled, you know you have a bot and decline the submit.

Wizard

Postby Wizard » Tue 08 May, 2018 12:31

We have used recaptcha and others with text, pictures, and it didn't stop bots/spammers.

The forum software was not developed by us, there are limited changes we can do.

Wizard
Astro Empires Administration

Return to “General”