Autoscout makes spies lives easier

If you want to give constructive feedback about the game this is the right place (no discussing of warnings and/or bans allowed). Game feedback ONLY, if you want to discuss the forum, wiki or portal use the appropriate forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
This section is for game feedback ONLY, please don't post feature requests or your topic will be removed and you will be warned by a moderator.
Fes
Galaxy: Ceti

Autoscout makes spies lives easier

Postby Fes » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 13:28

Whilst I love the new autoscout feature, it seems to have a big drawback regards spies. On one of my servers, I am perma-occ'd a few galaxies from the enemy blob. Every time I send fleet to free, I seem to get spotted very early (even sending to empty regions). One thing that could be happening is a spy is doing a guild report, ordering by galaxy & seeing my inbound fleet. In fact the spy can see every fleet of the guild.

I would like to propose having the option to "hide" either a fleet or a location from the autoscout report so that ops etc can be hidden from spies.

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Autoscout makes spies lives easier

Postby xJudicatorx » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 15:49

A more elegant solution might be to completely disallow searching for your OWN guild. If a player from another guild finds you, that was the purpose of the feature.

I've seen a rich man beg; I've seen a good man sin; I've seen a tough man cry.
I've sen a loser win and a sad man grin; I've heard an honest man lie.
Mostly Harmless AE page on facebook
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Philosopher Cody » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 13:15

Do not give everyone in your guild permission to use the reports. Also I find it useful to search for my own guild. It lets me find the best jumpgates.

Spying is part of the game and adds a dimension to it.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Guild: L:[USSV]
P:[AKB48]
A2:[(-o-)]

Postby Wlerin » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 07:50

Fes wrote:I would like to propose having the option to "hide" either a fleet or a location from the autoscout report so that ops etc can be hidden from spies.

I like this idea, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement. Who would have the right to create such ops or hide fleet? I don't think it should be just anyone.

xJudicatorx wrote:A more elegant solution might be to completely disallow searching for your OWN guild. If a player from another guild finds you, that was the purpose of the feature.

You realise you're calling a sledgehammer more elegant than a scalpel here... Still, if Wizard wanted to give GMS more fine-grained control of scouting report permissions it could work. Or even just limiting own guild fleet reports to a more restrictive permission. But I think Inactivity is already restrictive enough: If you think someone is a spy risk, why do they have +?

xJudicatorx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xJudicatorx » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 13:04

Philosopher Cody wrote:Do not give everyone in your guild permission to use the reports. Also I find it useful to search for my own guild. It lets me find the best jumpgates.

Spying is part of the game and adds a dimension to it.

There's a separate report for searching jumpgates. Who needs to search for their own guild's fleet or bases *other* than a spy?

Wlerin wrote:But I think Inactivity is already restrictive enough: If you think someone is a spy risk, why do they have +?

This is actually the root problem I think. You want your entire guild to be able to share scanners, but you don't want them able to view your own fleets, and certainly not inactivity.

I've seen a rich man beg; I've seen a good man sin; I've seen a tough man cry.
I've sen a loser win and a sad man grin; I've heard an honest man lie.
Mostly Harmless AE page on facebook
Philosopher Cody
Silver Member
Silver Member
Guild: [NPO]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Philosopher Cody » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 16:24

I look at my own guild's bases all of the time to compare their progress to my own, to see if they are growing or not in terms of constructing more buildings, to determine if they have an appropriate defense to trade with, to determine where there fleets are and what their composition is so I can plan an out an attack.

Sometimes I want to know where the guild is sitting at so I can be at the blob. I can find it that way. There are many uses to seeing your guild's fleets and bases and you do not have to be a spy. Maybe I want to know if there is enough strength in a particular galaxy so I can make an attack against someone else. It all comes in handy and it is all useful.

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 03:07

xJudicatorx wrote:Who needs to search for their own guild's fleet or bases *other* than a spy?

Someone who wants to know if there's an active fleet nearby that can help with a hit, and doesn't want to scare the target off by posting about it on the boards.

I agree though that information about your own guild's fleets is much more sensitive than general scouting reports. But even reports about JG locations can be sensitive, if there's a high gate in a hidden system that, before this was implemented, would have been left off the internal JG list.

JudeNasty
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Guild: L2: PM
T: TBD

Postby JudeNasty » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 03:48

If the point of implementing this feature was to bring a feature in game that was previously part of a 3rd party extension, then it works exactly how it should. If guilds were okay with people using an extension that had super scanners and reports on guild bases, why aren't they okay with the same feature in game? Giving activity privs seemed to be a bit of an issue at first, but it ends up being a tactical decision that effects every guild equally. I think the update is fine, but I would like more criteria to search and more sorting options.

Fes
Galaxy: Ceti

Postby Fes » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 09:38

JudeNasty wrote:If the point of implementing this feature was to bring a feature in game that was previously part of a 3rd party extension, then it works exactly how it should. If guilds were okay with people using an extension that had super scanners and reports on guild bases, why aren't they okay with the same feature in game? Giving activity privs seemed to be a bit of an issue at first, but it ends up being a tactical decision that effects every guild equally. I think the update is fine, but I would like more criteria to search and more sorting options.

I believe the 3rd party extension could hide astros/regions from the super scanners.

You can't just take away everybody's '+', it would cause unrest. A new permission would work, or a tick box on a your own fleet to hide from '+' users (GM could still see etc).

Wlerin
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Postby Wlerin » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 19:11

Fes wrote:I believe the 3rd party extension could hide astros/regions from the super scanners.

Yes, some of the alternatives allowed you to hide astros or define temporary "operations" that would conceal fleet movement to/from an astro from scanners and reports.

SEWI
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: ASAE

Postby SEWI » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 23:36

nothing is hidden...at least not to ASAE eyes...

Same name...same guild...all servers... :biglaugh:

Return to “Feedback”