Battle world (feedback based on "AE here and now")

If you want to give constructive feedback about the game this is the right place (no discussing of warnings and/or bans allowed). Game feedback ONLY, if you want to discuss the forum, wiki or portal use the appropriate forum.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Forum rules
This section is for game feedback ONLY, please don't post feature requests or your topic will be removed and you will be warned by a moderator.
Baylor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Battle world (feedback based on "AE here and now")

Postby Baylor » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 04:47

I am wondering if there is a snowball’s chance in hell that we could get something like a sandbox server where people can actually play the shooting game that is "vintage AE" that we all love.

I say this based on several years of being a top player and a GM of top guilds. People tend to keep a few of their favorite accounts on old servers. Over time these become a social club of friends

once you run out of targets, the appropriate thing to do for those who want to fight is to pick up a new server. AE servers are under entropy - they lose people, activity, and there is nothing to farm whether that be other players or UCs which are tied to the player quit rate

on some servers such as Epsilon and Juno they have mitigated this problem somewhat - the die-off of players - by adopting LAP (limited aggression pact) of essentially a no perma occ pact

I find that there will always be a small subset of players who just want to fight. They don't care if its their allies who they won the server with, without whom their victory would have been impossible, or their own guild mates who have become depressed or inactive or whatever. They really only care about simming their top rank and extra derbs

Further, there is something about this game that makes people mean. You can compare the game servers to playing Diablo2 on hardcore mode. Because of the sudden death single elimination tournament nature of the game mechanics, losing a crash tends to be a total loss (more often than not). This makes guilds extremely risk-adverse, committing only to crash when they are very confident that the numbers will add up to a win. This in turn makes the game more of a numbers game than anything.

You end up investing an incredible amount of time over the years, and sometimes the guild and all those people, all those gaming hours, get killed off the map and forced to ragequit. Even on won and done servers, you eventually end up with people who are not gonna stop *beep* over this and that and the third. They want to fight, they want extra derbs, and they don’t give a damn if they need to screw over and farm their allies and guild mates.

I believe that the appropriate solution and future direction for the game is best summed up as "Battle world." This would be a unique sandbox server where people essentially upload their fleet from a vintage server and engage in epic battles. You could call it a quantum copy of their fleet. Note this is only a rudimentary outline and not a real FR by any measure, intended to initiate discussion.

For those of us who actually play this game, "the crash" and that feeling is the best that AE has to offer. On Nova we got at least 4 or 5 real crashes out of that server. In general, the early game brand new server comes the closest to simulating the conditions that make "the crash" and also Speed server so much fun.

In Battle world, gone are the days of simming grindcore for months only to get wiped off the map in a single minute of crash and you got lagged out. Gone are the days of feeling like hours of your life were stolen because the GM of Lyra backstabbed his own guild of 3 years in exchange for a RMT (real money transaction).

What I am saying is either we need more speed servers that run for about 1 month duration, or we need battle world. The game managers have shown that they can consistently use that big list of emails to get a lot of new people to show up for a new server – now every 6 months between servers, or a return to the historical average from before servers became every 3 months.

I write all this knowing that this is not especially likely to ever happen, but this is the best that I have to offer, to put on the table. This idea that AE is a dead game destined for the ash heap of history, that is a choice and not yet what has happened. The old servers are an asset, if properly leveraged than the game can be renovated and full of life. You’ll sometimes get a few upgrades here and there from people on Alpha through Kepler age servers.

Another reason I write all this is I feel bad having derbed many guilds and kick derbed so many people over the years, even though most of them deserved it. Sometimes you get a guild mate who went inactive, got derbed, and then she returns and is upset she wasn’t contacted. Other times it just sucks losing dozens of guild mates as they inactoquit or sadquit, then you have to kick derb their account quickly before the hothead guys who I described earlier, before they try and tear apart the guild in a shocking display of simming greed.

important topics in Christian apologetics:
Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Battle world (feedback based on "AE here and now")

Postby Logans Run » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 06:16

As your friend, i can tell you i read 5 paragraphs.
And as a friend, i must tell you i skimmed the rest.

Juno was the last good example of a great server who's death shouldnt be so sad. It was fun for everyone for a LONG time.
As long as the number of ppl then..continuned on to the next server. Kappa..which i started but had to quit after 6months. Forget why..rl.
Thou kappa looked to be decent player #s also.

No..greed is killing the game. Putting out too many servers so fast is the major reason imo.

..Wiz had a chance to sell this game a while back i hear.
He may regret not taking the offer then.

*tick tock*

Cu Chulainn

Postby Cu Chulainn » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 06:23

Just play Alpha.

Problem solved.

Logans Run
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Logans Run » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 02:52

Alpha isnt a solution.

No. I think Wiz should make servers go 2yrs before putting out another. Could alternate 1.5 and 2.0s every yr.
But you wont see another in each class for 2yrs.

He could raise the upgrade fees slightly to help offset any loss. But imo, it's prolly 50/50 that it would even be a loss.

Yup..2yrs. That would raise the player base.

Rajam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guild: [CRUEL]
Galaxy: Alpha

Postby Rajam » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 05:34

I like my linked server idea (Galaxy Core), it addresses all these issues and actually involves risk on the part of the player.

Not trying to toot my own horn because it wasn't completely thought out but it could work if implemented correctly.

The Gene Pool Could Use Some Chlorine!

Return to “Feedback”